Poll: Which fight?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: What would you rather watch? (choose 1)

I made this poll to see really what kind of people are here at MMANEWS and fans of MMA, and it shows a lot.

There is no other match available at HW to prove the champion than Fedor vs Barnett.

The fact that people would rather have drama than a true 1 vs 2 matchup, is telling.

Fedor vs Barnett is a showcase in MMA skill at the highest level of HW.
    Lesnar vs Mir 2 is a drama of an up and commer vs a rebuilt champion.

I am not surprised at all to see it actually be close to a tie, it is almost scary that drama > skill sets in MMA.

thats easy..fedor v barnett is a fight Iv been waiting on for years
    LW: Sanchez WW: GSP MW: Shamrock LHW: Rampage HW: Fedor

Quote Originally Posted by Rockx View Post
    I made this poll to see really what kind of people are here at MMANEWS and fans of MMA, and it shows a lot.

There is no other match available at HW to prove the champion than Fedor vs Barnett.

The fact that people would rather have drama than a true 1 vs 2 matchup, is telling.

I am not surprised at all to see it actually be close to a tie, it is almost scary that drama > skill sets in MMA.

Thats great that you think your opinion is a fact, but its not. While I appreciate Fedor's ability, I dont believe he will be truly tested unless he is against the UFC champ, whomever it is.

You can go on and on about how Lesnar is green and this and that but the fact of the matter is. Lesnar beat, whom many consider the number 2 guy in MMA, Randy Couture.

You can come up with all the excuses in the world to discredit Lesnar's win, but it happened. No matter how you slice it, even if Lesnar were to beat Fedor, he STILL wouldn't get the recognition for it. Just some flimsy excuses.

In my opinion Lesnar is the number 2 HW in the world. And until he beats or faces Fedor he's going to be in that position. And I wholeheartedly believe that Lesnar has a better chance than any HW in the world to beat him. You can say he's a rookie and green and all that other junk, but that should make him even scarier. His physical gifts and wrestling back ground took him to the top, quickly. Now you start teaching him jujitsu and better striking, you have an absolute freak of nature. I think in a couple years you'll have the next Fedor when it comes to Lesnar.

nuthug /off

Quote Originally Posted by Fillups422 View Post
    Thats great that you think your opinion is a fact, but its not. While I appreciate Fedor's ability, I dont believe he will be truly tested unless he is against the UFC champ, whomever it is.

You can go on and on about how Lesnar is green and this and that but the fact of the matter is. Lesnar beat, whom many consider the number 2 guy in MMA, Randy Couture.
    It's funny that you bring up opinions presented as facts and then go on to post this. I don't know any credible sources...or really any sources at all that had Randy ranked at #2 when he fought lesnar. I don't even know anyone who had him higher than 5. Can you show me anyone, anywhere who considered Randy #2 at that point?

Regardless, I'd reverse your statement and say the UFC champ will be untested until he faces Fedor, regardless of who it is. Fedor alone has a better resume than three out of the top 4 UFC HW's put together.

You can come up with all the excuses in the world to discredit Lesnar's win, but it happened. No matter how you slice it, even if Lesnar were to beat Fedor, he STILL wouldn't get the recognition for it. Just some flimsy excuses.
    Well, it depends on what you mean by recognition. If he somehow beats him, it means he beat him. He still has 10 unbeaten years to go to come close to Fedor's legacy. But if his fans suddenly want people to say lesnar is better than Fedor based on one night, you're right, it's probably not going to happen.

Part of the problem is that lesnar just doesn't have a deep resume. He's got two credible wins, one over a gatekeeper in Herring and one over Randy. When you hear someone like dana spin-doctor shit and erroneously say "Fedor hasn't fought anyone in 5 years" it's amusing...because he's still fought--and beaten--better HW's than lesnar, Mir and Randy, put together.

In my opinion Lesnar is the number 2 HW in the world. And until he beats or faces Fedor he's going to be in that position. And I wholeheartedly believe that Lesnar has a better chance than any HW in the world to beat him. You can say he's a rookie and green and all that other junk, but that should make him even scarier. His physical gifts and wrestling back ground took him to the top, quickly. Now you start teaching him jujitsu and better striking, you have an absolute freak of nature. I think in a couple years you'll have the next Fedor when it comes to Lesnar.

nuthug /off
    Do you realize that beating a ranked fighter doesn't mean you automatically take his place in the rankings?

Werdum was ranked top 10 everywhere and as high as 5 some places when he walked into Dos Santos' KO. The TKO knocked him out of the UFC and out of most rankings, but it's not like Dos Santos immediately got ranked top 10 as a result of it. And both Werdum and Junior have better records than lesnar.

So even if Randy was ranked #2--and he wasn't--beating him doesn't leapfrog brock over guys who have been fighting and winning for years. Hell, Chuck beat him twice, that doesn't make him a #2 HW.

rh

Every Fedor fight is an event, even if he smokes his opponent in 30 seconds

Not once did I present anything as a matter of fact. I gave my opinion and was very clear about that.

I believe, yahoo sports, had Couture ranked at number 2 for quite a while as all of the Fedor/Randy argument was going down. But I cant go back and check it, the older posts arent available. You can go back and see if you do some google magic that the only heavyweight behind Fedor on almost all of the p4p rankings is Couture. So I would assume that the HW rankings would be Fedor then Couture. See: Major changes in the Y! Sports rankings - MMA - Yahoo! Sports

Another example has Couture at number 3 under Big Nog. in the September before the fight. 2008 September ę MMA World Rankings

MY frustration is, people, rather than give him his credit for his natural ability they tear him down saying he didnt deserve his title shot, then they write him off as a fluke.

I could easily say Fedor has been beating has beens for the last few years...why does he deserve to be in the top spot? I certainly dont believe that but its almost as ridiculous as saying Lesnar doesn't deserve to be in the position he's in. He beat the champ...what else do you want the guy to do? If he beats Mir, are people going to give him some respect at least? The dude was a rookie and took on a former world champ in his 2nd fight ever. Think about that for a second. I dont think anyone else would have the balls to want that for his debut fight in the UFC.

Fillups422 you re giving your opinion about Lesnar, but you even said you enjoy the storyline better in the fight, you also admitted Lesnar has 2 years to become something. Also having the balls to fight Mir in your 2nd fight doesn't make you a top contender.

You are a Lesnar fan, great, I am a Dean Lister fan... it doesn't mean I'd rather watch Dean Lister fight Rich Franklin over Anderson Silva fighting the #2 guy.

Some people watch MMA for their favorites and the stories, some people just want to see the 2 best guys fight. Fedor and Barnett have beaten the most big names in present day and has been the most wanted fight for a long time.
    Last edited by Malice; 03-26-2009 at 10:20 PM.

Fillups, I think people may have argued that Randy was as high as 3 when he beat Gonzaga [pretty much the height of his modern ranking] but after a 15 month layoff/court battle/less-than-mediocre film a lot of credible sites had dropped him entirely from rankings, because you need to stay active within a 12 month period to be ranked. The sites that didn't had him in the middle of the top 10.

Again, other than the 3-month period when he first "resigned" from the UFC, I didn't see him anywhere higher than 3 or 4. And 3 was highly debateable. I've never ranked him over Barnett or Nogs, who have beaten better HW's than Randy has faced.

MY frustration is, people, rather than give him his credit for his natural ability they tear him down saying he didnt deserve his title shot, then they write him off as a fluke.
    There is two different issues at hand here. People saying that he didn't deserve his shot have a huge point. He got a shot after taking a gatekeeper to a decision. He had one quality win, and it wasn't even against a top 5 fighter. He was given a shot based on his celebrity and potential, not on his resume. That is not opinion, that is fact. There were plenty of fighters in the UFC who had better resumes than lesnar, and he leapfrogged them because he sells PPVs and has the potential to develop into a legitimate HW. Regardless of what he does in the future, that is always going to follow him. In no way did he earn his shot...he was in the right place at the right time, with the right amount of fame.

He beat Randy, which made him one of the UFC's HW champions, but that can't erase the road he took to the title. Now, that's not writing him off as a fluke, that's just stating the obvious...he was given a shot after going 50/50 in the UFC. He has potential, he might become a legitimate champion, he might get exposed as an oversized/underskilled fighter. Nobody can tell either way yet.

So he has potential, but what he doesn't have is a resume.

The dude was a rookie and took on a former world champ in his 2nd fight ever. Think about that for a second. I dont think anyone else would have the balls to want that for his debut fight in the UFC.
    Well, considering Mir wasn't ranked even top 20, and had gone 2 and 2 since his accident, with his biggest win over a guy who isn't even good enough to be a gatekeeper...it might look like a bigger accomplishment in light of Mir's upset of Nogs.

And you still haven't responded to this:

Quote Originally Posted by rivethead View Post
    Do you realize that beating a ranked fighter doesn't mean you automatically take his place in the rankings?

Werdum was ranked top 10 everywhere and as high as 5 some places when he walked into Dos Santos' KO. The TKO knocked him out of the UFC and out of most rankings, but it's not like Dos Santos immediately got ranked top 10 as a result of it. And both Werdum and Junior have better records than lesnar.

So even if Randy was ranked #2--and he wasn't--beating him doesn't leapfrog brock over guys who have been fighting and winning for years. Hell, Chuck beat him twice, that doesn't make him a #2 HW.
    rh

Quote Originally Posted by Rockx View Post

Ummm, I can see your points but how is Barnett the number 2 HW in the world? The guy's best win is a bad split decision over Big Nog and his second biggest win is over Couture when he was roiding. Other then that the guy has made his record beating journymen and below Top 10 fighters. For the most part when the guy fights Top 10 fighters he gets beaten (Big Nog II, Cro-Cop I, II and III, and Rizzo when he was a Top 10).

Mir has a better argument then Barnett for being the number 2 HW in the world, with wins over 3 Top 10 HWs right now. Syliva, Lesnar and Nog, on top of that he destoryed all 3 of them when he fought. When Mir is in shape and focused he is the 2nd most dangrous HW in the world.

So actually you have the Number 1 HW (Fedor) fighter against a Top 5 HW (Barnett) and the number 2 HW (Mir) against another Top 5 HW (Lesnar) so in the end both fights have a lot of skilled fighters involved.
    Dude, Iím a wrestler. Iím the best wrestler in MMA. Wrestling IS, was and always has been the most dominate form of mix martial art on the planet. Thatís all there is to it. We all know it, some people want to fight it, some people want doubt it but wresters rule the MMA world. -
    Ben Askren

^^I've got lesnar at 6 or 7 at best.

If you're talking smack about Barnett's rankings/wins...how can you possibly rank lesnar at top 5 based on his record?

rh

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information