Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bobby Lashley's next fight...

Default Bobby Lashley's next fight...

Bobby Lashley, whose MMA record is now 2-0 after a unanimous decision victory over Jason Guida at "March Badness", will step back into the cage next month.

MMAFighting.com reports that Lashley will fight former NFL defensive tackle Marcus Jones (4-2) at XFC's "Regional Conflict" show on April 25 in Knoxville, Tennessee.

Lashley best for his stint as a pro wrestler with the WWE, where he became a two-time ECW world champion. As a collegiate amateur wrestler, he was a three-time NAIA national champion.

Marcus Jones was a first round draft pick in 1996 and played six years with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. He made his MMA debut in October 2007.
    Here's a look at Marcus Jones:

Source - Bobby Lashley's Next Fight Announced
    -------------------------------------------------

Good to see him coming right back. The last fight was a great learning experience for him.

What do you think about his opponent? He has a football background, do you think that really helps in mma or applies in any way? Obviously it gives him great conditioning, but it's easy to say he has a disadvantage versus someone with a wrestling, JJ or boxing background.

The contact/tackling, etc. in football, I can see being very good for mma, but getting someone on the ground and actually knowing what to do when you get them there is two different things...
    Goodbye Mr. Burton

All in the reflexes
    Anderson Silva 5: TRT USERS 0 Hendo - Forrest - Nate - Chael... twice

Marcus Jones is a beast. I saw him fight in Tampa at RFC 10. He’s about 6′6″ and cuts to 265. The intriguing part about this fight is Lashley is probably gonna try to put Marcus on his back, but Marcus has awesome jiu jitsu, not sure what belt he is. He trains with Rob Kahn at Gracie Tampa. The only negative for Marcus is that he’s never been out of the first round so his cardio hasn’t been tested. I might catch heat for this but I think this is a more difficult fight for Lashley than some may think. I’ll say Marcus Jones for the upset.

Ya, word is that Jones is another bad-ass on the come-up. I thought I heard purple belt for Jones.

This will be interesting. Can't wait.
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Lauzon View Post
    "Guillard is like, 'Oh, Joe didn't beat me. I beat myself.'" "No, I smacked you in the face with my fist, and you went down and I choked you. I'm pretty sure i'm taking credit for that."
    Quote Originally Posted by King Mo View Post
    "It's funny how some fans wanna be PC and shit, but then some of these same muthafuckaz wanna pay to see some organized violence. LOL! Or they boo if a fight ain't violent enough. LOL!"

Quote Originally Posted by matmoeb1 View Post
    Ya, word is that Jones is another bad-ass on the come-up. I thought I heard purple belt for Jones.
    Like I said i'm not to sure but, I wouldn't be suprised if he was. Whenever he's been on The Bubba the Love Sponge show here in Tampa he always says he'd like to show off his ground game. Even if he isn't a purple belt he definitely has skills because he's training under Rob Kahn who received his black belt from Royce.

Lashley traisn at ATT so you know they will work on us ground game. I really want to see this fight on the ground. Hopefully the UFC brings these guys in

I think is Jones has good cardio; he is going to be Lashley. Lashley still has a long learning curve ahead of him. He will need a few more years.

Quote Originally Posted by deadpresidents View Post
    Lashley traisn at ATT so you know they will work on us ground game. I really want to see this fight on the ground. Hopefully the UFC brings these guys in
    I'm sure he does. I wasn't trying to sound biased, just trying to give a little background on Marcus. Also, I believe that there is a difference between working on your ground game for MMA and practicing straight BJJ. Lashley may drill subs and escapes but when Marcus first started training, while he was still in the NFL, he trained straight BJJ with no aspirations for MMA. After seeing Lashley get caught in that guillotine by Guida I believe Marcus could give him fits on the ground if it goes there. I know that I've talked about Marcus a lot but its just exciting for me because he's a local guy from my area who I've followed while he played for the Bucs and now fighting on the local MMA scene. Whatever the outcome may be, if they train right, both of these men have huge upside in the sport and I believe both of them could be brought in by the UFC and built up like Carwin and Velasquez. I can't wait for this fight as I am a fan of both of them.

that guy looks like he can fight anytime...
    Never Tap Down..

Im glad he's willing to get back in the cage so fast. Hopefully, this fight will be a better performance.

Thread Information