Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Report: Demian Maia vs. Anderson Silva/Thales Leities Winner At UFC 102

Default Report: Demian Maia vs. Anderson Silva/Thales Leities Winner At UFC 102

UFC 102: Demian Maia Expects Next Shot at Anderson Silva (or Thales Leites) -- MMA FanHouse
    UFC middleweight Demian Maia has a perfect MMA record of 10 wins in his 10 pro fights, but he's about to get a much stiffer challenge in his 11th. Cage Potato is reporting that Maia's camp expects to get the next shot at UFC middleweight champion Anderson Silva, most likely at UFC 102 on August 29 in Portland.

Of course, that's assuming Silva beats Thales Leites at UFC 97 on April 18 in Montreal. But seeing as every single UFC fan I know is making that assumption, it seems fairly safe to pencil in Maia vs. Silva for the UFC 102 co-main event. No disrespect to Leites intended, of course.

The question, then, is whether Maia has any hope of beating Silva. Although he would obviously be a heavy underdog, I actually think Maia's world-class Brazilian jiu jitsu would at least make him a viable threat to Silva. (Leites has solid Brazilian jiu jitsu skills, too, but I have a hard time seeing a scenario in which he's able to get Silva into a position where he can use those skills.)

Although it's still more than five months off (and obviously plenty can change between now and then), UFC 102 is looking like it will be a solid card. The other headlining fight on the UFC 102 card is slated to feature a couple of heavyweight legends, with Randy Couture taking on Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira.

Maybe I'm mistaken, but I thought the plan was for the Henderson/Bisping winner to fight Anderson Silva (assuming Silva is still champ)? That Hendo/Bisping fight is happening at UFC 100 on July 11th, so Silva fighting Maia on August 29th seemingly refutes that.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Jackson's Submission Fighting (est. 2000)

Quote Originally Posted by Diegonightmare View Post
    Maybe I'm mistaken, but I thought the plan was for the Henderson/Bisping winner to fight Anderson Silva (assuming Silva is still champ)? That Hendo/Bisping fight is happening at UFC 100 on July 11th, so Silva fighting Maia on August 29th seemingly refutes that.
    This fight would happen in August,Bisping/Hendo is happening in July.Time Bisping/Hendo are ready to go again so will Maia/Anderson/Leites.I am split on this,part of me wants to see Maia get a shot but another part wants to see Maia Vs Marquardt first either way can't wait.One last thing If this come to frutation this card is rumoured to be stacked.Maia Vs MW Champ,Griffin Vs Thiago and Couture Vs Nog,DAM.

Quote Originally Posted by Afroduck
    This fight would happen in August,Bisping/Hendo is happening in July.Time Bisping/Hendo are ready to go again so will Maia/Anderson/Leites.
    Right, agreed, but my point is, Hendo/Bisping wouldn't be the next to get a shot at Anderson Silva in this scenario - Maia would. So if true, this is sort of strange/surprising news - at least insofar as I understood what was going to happen.

Maybe it was a wording/semantics thing - Bisping/Hendo winner was going to get "a title shot", although not necessarily "the next title shot".
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So basically Okami is screwed?

Don't be scared homie.

Until we hear something more substantial, I am calling BS on this rumor.

Quote Originally Posted by jhell View Post
    So basically Okami is screwed?
    In my opinion the UFC are not giving Okami his due. He has lost only once in the UFC, an arguably close decision to Rich Franklin. Since then he was on the undercard against Jason MacDonald at UFC 77, looking at the card there is no reason for that fight not to have been on the main card. He then was promoted to the main card against Evan Tanner at UFC 82, in my opinion this was one of his best performances in the UFC. Then he is demoted to the undercard against Dean Lister at UFC 92, I just don't get it. The argument could be made that Okami is a boring fighter but I disagree. What is the difference between Okami's style and Matt Hughes' style? Besides Okami having better standup, not much. If the UFC ever wants to get the most out of him with a potential Anderson Silva matchup they have to start televising his fights. Also, if they are not going to give Okami a title shot they should at least match him up with some top contenders in the division. I would love to see him against Marquardt, Maia, Bisping, Hendo, Palhares, or Almeida. His fight with Dan Miller at UFC 98 is a start in the right direction IMO.
    Last edited by Dat Dude; 03-30-2009 at 01:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Diegonightmare View Post
    Right, agreed, but my point is, Hendo/Bisping wouldn't be the next to get a shot at Anderson Silva in this scenario - Maia would. So if true, this is sort of strange/surprising news - at least insofar as I understood what was going to happen.

Maybe it was a wording/semantics thing - Bisping/Hendo winner was going to get "a title shot", although not necessarily "the next title shot".
    Allright ya I understand now what you where saying,and Ya no matter what Okami is pretty far down the line if you look at it Maia,Marquardt,Bisping,Hendo to name a few are all above him right or wrong,but obviously some things are going to strart to straighten out.

thats bullshit maia just beat sonnen he shouldnt get a title shot yet, look at marquardt he just beat wilson gouveia he is much higer in the rankings then sonnen. give marquardt another go

denice25 Guest

Great fighters.... go go go!!!!

Thread Information