Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Report: Demian Maia vs. Anderson Silva/Thales Leities Winner At UFC 102

Last time i checked, the winner of Bisping/Henderson wouldn't be in line for a title shot...

Quote Originally Posted by Diegonightmare View Post
    Until we hear something more substantial, I am calling BS on this rumor.
    Ditto. The only thing stated in the article is that Maia's camp "expects" him to get the next title shot. Dana and the boys are nuts if they think now is the right time to push Maia into a title fight...they need at least one high-profile fight to hype him first.
    3-4 in sig bets. FUCK me.

i hate seeing brazilians go against each other... but damn good fight in my opinion. as long as the title stays in brasil...
    and screw okami and the winner of bispin/hendo. they dont deserve a shot. neither does marquart, he already had his shot and got choked out.
    I rather see Marquart vs Toquinho Palhares anyway.
    -SIGNATURE REMOVED FOR EXCEEDING SIZE LIMIT-

Note to Willpunisher: You have lost signature privileges until November 1, 2010. You may remove this message, but may not add anything to your signature until November 1.

Note to Asshole Mods: Stop being assholes and teasing me. If you going to ban me because you guys are fucking dicks than just do it already. Fucking bitches.

For the record, I'm a Marquardt fan just as much as the next person here, but he had already recieved a title shot not so long ago. He's 3-1 since the title shot. Pretty much the same can be said of Okami, who's 3-0 since losing a close decission to Rich Franklin. However, unlike Marquardt, Okami hasn't yet recieved a title shot. So, whose more deserving between the two?

As for Maia, he's a great BJJ guy, and all, but come on, next in line for a title shot? Seriously. He's deserving, I know this, he's 5-0 in the UFC alone, but a title shot before Okami? I don't know. And to be honest, I'm with diegonightmare on this, as I too think this is also BS. But knowing Dana White's mindset, which is money fights before deserving fights, I wouldn't be surprised at all if this were actually true.

I was also lead to believe that the winner of Henderson/Bisping would be next in line for a title shot. I know for a fact that it was announced awhile ago that the winner of the Franklin/Henderson fight would get to coach TUF facing Bisping, and they'd fight after the show. But I swear there was something said that the winner would be next in line. Whatever, though. Neither are actually more deserving than Okami, in my opinion. Henderson also just had a title shot not so long ago. And Bisping is still climbing the ladder in said division. Mind boggling.
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Lauzon View Post
    "Guillard is like, 'Oh, Joe didn't beat me. I beat myself.'" "No, I smacked you in the face with my fist, and you went down and I choked you. I'm pretty sure i'm taking credit for that."
    Quote Originally Posted by King Mo View Post
    "It's funny how some fans wanna be PC and shit, but then some of these same muthafuckaz wanna pay to see some organized violence. LOL! Or they boo if a fight ain't violent enough. LOL!"

okami no title shot?i think if okami losses one fight he will be release

damn okami is getting again

Quote Originally Posted by frogman View Post
    okami no title shot?i think if okami losses one fight he will be release

damn okami is getting again
    Okami should def. get the next title shot, I don't know what the UFC is holding on, but hopefully he'll get his shot sometime later in the year.

If you read the original piece, it states that Maia's camp expects the shot, not that anyone in Zuffa's administration has indicated that will be the case.

I'm looking at this as though it's Maia's people trying to get his name out there...there are a lot of words, but nothing was actually said.

Quote Originally Posted by Diegonightmare View Post
    Right, agreed, but my point is, Hendo/Bisping wouldn't be the next to get a shot at Anderson Silva in this scenario - Maia would. So if true, this is sort of strange/surprising news - at least insofar as I understood what was going to happen.

Maybe it was a wording/semantics thing - Bisping/Hendo winner was going to get "a title shot", although not necessarily "the next title shot".
    I think Henderson could catch a rematch with a dominating win over Bisping, but I'd like to see Bisping face at least two top 10 fighters before getting handed anything. And in a match against Anderson, he'll get handed his ass.

Henderson should definitely be ahead of Marquardt, however.

Quote Originally Posted by jhell View Post
    So basically Okami is screwed?
    Yes, but he should be used to it by now, he's been getting screwed for going on a year, at least.

Quote Originally Posted by aussiemma View Post
    thats bullshit maia just beat sonnen he shouldnt get a title shot yet, look at marquardt he just beat wilson gouveia he is much higer in the rankings then sonnen. give marquardt another go
    Nate is behind Henderson, in my opinion...who should be behind Okami.

rh

Quote Originally Posted by rivethead
    Henderson should definitely be ahead of Marquardt, however.
    I'm not feeling Hendo ahead of Marquardt for title contention. Both fought and lost to Silva. Since losing to Silva, Hendo has fought exactly once at 185 - a decision win over unranked Rousimar Palhares - while Marquardt "lost" a highly controversial fight to Leites in a fight everyone knows he won, then finished Kampmann and Gouveia, both of whom were ranked equally to or above Palhares. Marquardt > Henderson as far as title contention.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Jackson's Submission Fighting (est. 2000)

Well I think I have something that could possibly solve everyone's problems.

Okami vs. Maia will take on the winner of Silva/Lietes(Why on earth this guy is getting a title shot is beyond me) vs. Bisping(See Lietes)/Hendo.

The UFC has completely fudged up the MW divison IMO. Okami is the clear Number 1 contender, followed by Hendo, then Maia, Then Marquant. How Lietes and Bisping got in the equation is beyond me. Lietes best win is a gift from the Ref in his fight with Marquant. Bispings best win is against Leben... so these deserve title shots? Hell Hendo's one win over Franklin is more then enough to push him into immediate contention. I give Okami the edge over Hendo only because he is 7-1 in the UFC and his only loss has been a close fight with Franklin taken on short notice.

But I also think this rumor is BS.
    Dude, Iím a wrestler. Iím the best wrestler in MMA. Wrestling IS, was and always has been the most dominate form of mix martial art on the planet. Thatís all there is to it. We all know it, some people want to fight it, some people want doubt it but wresters rule the MMA world. -
    Ben Askren

it's sad that they have to resort to throwing guys unfairly into a title fight over other fighters, but when (besides the recent LHW division) was a time when there was a whole stable of fighters who could arguably get the shot? personally, i think that okami should be first in, followed by maia (after another solid win. he both needs to 'earn' it a little more and raise his ppv stock a little bit), followed by hendo. marquardt could easily be at top contender status given his recent performances, but that's negated by how many other fighters are of equal or greater merit to have earned a title shot, and haven't already had one.

and yes, throwing bisping to silva would both hurt his career and his stock with the european fanbase. unless he becomes another GSP, (losing to an unbeatable champ, only to return better than ever), i don't see anything good besides a good ppv number coming out of it.
    Survival is Triumph Enough
    -Harry Crews

Thread Information