Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Report: Demian Maia vs. Anderson Silva/Thales Leities Winner At UFC 102

Quote Originally Posted by Masscore View Post
    Well I think I have something that could possibly solve everyone's problems.

Okami vs. Maia will take on the winner of Silva/Lietes(Why on earth this guy is getting a title shot is beyond me) vs. Bisping(See Lietes)/Hendo.

The UFC has completely fudged up the MW divison IMO. Okami is the clear Number 1 contender, followed by Hendo, then Maia, Then Marquant. How Lietes and Bisping got in the equation is beyond me. Lietes best win is a gift from the Ref in his fight with Marquant. Bispings best win is against Leben... so these deserve title shots? Hell Hendo's one win over Franklin is more then enough to push him into immediate contention. I give Okami the edge over Hendo only because he is 7-1 in the UFC and his only loss has been a close fight with Franklin taken on short notice.

But I also think this rumor is BS.
    Okami vs Maia would be a good match to decide the next title challenger.

I'm not sure how Hendo would be ahead of Marquardt in the rankings. Nate seems to have been more dominant in his fights. Maybe those two should fight as well.

Further, I really don't understand Leites unless the UFC just doesn't feel Okami deserved the shot. I'm guessing they didn't and honestly, I don't see it either. Okami fought Anderson in another organization and got a DQ win, but nothing then or now tells me he has as good a shot at beating Anderson as the other top contenders. The loss to Franklin is likely what cost him his position.

Quote Originally Posted by pantomime horse View Post
    Okami vs Maia would be a good match to decide the next title challenger.

I'm not sure how Hendo would be ahead of Marquardt in the rankings. Nate seems to have been more dominant in his fights. Maybe those two should fight as well.

Further, I really don't understand Leites unless the UFC just doesn't feel Okami deserved the shot. I'm guessing they didn't and honestly, I don't see it either. Okami fought Anderson in another organization and got a DQ win, but nothing then or now tells me he has as good a shot at beating Anderson as the other top contenders. The loss to Franklin is likely what cost him his position.
    Actually, I think Okami was slated to face Silva at UFC 90, and got hurt, causing Cote to step in.
    3-4 in sig bets. FUCK me.

If the MW champ (Silva) is going to fight Bisping/Hendo winner, Please give us Maia vs Okami for a number one contender fights.

Also, Anyone know any news on Cote? I wouldn't mind seeing him fight Nate
    1-1 in av/sig bets

I'm not a Silva fan at all but none of these guys are gonna beat him.

Quote Originally Posted by jlruthven84 View Post
    Actually, I think Okami was slated to face Silva at UFC 90, and got hurt, causing Cote to step in.
    I do not think anything was ever offical, they were in prelaim talks of Silva vs. Okami at either UFC 88, 89 and 90. But Okami broke his hand before anything could be signed so they just threw in Cote.

For those that don't think Okami should not be next in line, why? Okami is 7-1 in the UFC and has basically only lost 2 rounds in those 8 fights. Other then two uneventful rounds with Franklin, Okami has dominated everyone he has fought in the UFC. The fight with Franklin just shows how the 10 point must scoring system is flawed in MMA. Watch that fight and tell me that Franklin really deserved to win that fight. For two rounds Franklin kept Okami away with his jab and in the 3rd round Okami nearly finished Franklin 3 different times (standing guilotine, mount, kimura). Franklin's only goal in the 3rd was to survive, which even by his account he was lucky.

Okami is the biggest threat to Silva's title (outside of maybe Maia).
    Dude, Iím a wrestler. Iím the best wrestler in MMA. Wrestling IS, was and always has been the most dominate form of mix martial art on the planet. Thatís all there is to it. We all know it, some people want to fight it, some people want doubt it but wresters rule the MMA world. -
    Ben Askren

Quote Originally Posted by Diegonightmare View Post
    I'm not feeling Hendo ahead of Marquardt for title contention. Both fought and lost to Silva. Since losing to Silva, Hendo has fought exactly once at 185 - a decision win over unranked Rousimar Palhares - while Marquardt "lost" a highly controversial fight to Leites in a fight everyone knows he won, then finished Kampmann and Gouveia, both of whom were ranked equally to or above Palhares. Marquardt > Henderson as far as title contention.
    Palhares is arguably ranked about the same as Kampmann, but Marquardt fighting Gouveia was a step back, he's not even on the fringes of contention. I also can't completely discount Henderson's win over Franklin, event though it occurred at LHW, because Rich made his bones at MW. Henderson also did far better against Silva than Nate did.

So I have Okami over both of them, but Henderson edging Marquart in terms of rematches.

rh

Quote Originally Posted by jhell View Post
    So basically Okami is screwed?
    Who?

I do not think anything was ever offical, they were in prelaim talks of Silva vs. Okami at either UFC 88, 89 and 90. But Okami broke his hand before anything could be signed so they just threw in Cote.

For those that don't think Okami should not be next in line, why? Okami is 7-1 in the UFC and has basically only lost 2 rounds in those 8 fights. Other then two uneventful rounds with Franklin, Okami has dominated everyone he has fought in the UFC. The fight with Franklin just shows how the 10 point must scoring system is flawed in MMA. Watch that fight and tell me that Franklin really deserved to win that fight. For two rounds Franklin kept Okami away with his jab and in the 3rd round Okami nearly finished Franklin 3 different times (standing guilotine, mount, kimura). Franklin's only goal in the 3rd was to survive, which even by his account he was lucky.

Okami is the biggest threat to Silva's title (outside of maybe Maia).
    I saw the Franklin/Okami fight again today before I wrote my previous post. Franklin didn't 'keep' Okami away, Yushin kept moving away from Rich. In the 3rd Okami got Franklin down but Rich worked and worked and turned things around at the end of that round. I don't see how you can watch that fight and think he deserved the win. The judges, as well as myself, saw Ace as the winner.

The only reason I want to see Okami fight Anderson Silva is because most of the other top middleweights had their shots and blew them. Of those guys Nate seems to have improved the most, but he still had a shot already. With only 4 fights remaining on his contract, I'd like to see Silva fight opponents he hasn't yet faced in the octagon. Especially GSP if the fight can be made.

Okami is 7-1 in the UFC and has basically only lost 2 rounds in those 8 fights. Other then two uneventful rounds with Franklin, Okami has dominated everyone he has fought in the UFC.
    According to my memory Swick took a round off Okami as well, he got his ass handed to him, yes, but I'm fairly certain he won one round.

Everything else you said is spot on though.

Quote Originally Posted by rivethead
    I also can't completely discount Henderson's win over Franklin, event though it occurred at LHW, because Rich made his bones at MW.
    It doesn't matter where Rich "made his bones", the fight was at 205 and has no bearing on the 185 contender pecking order. Not to mention Rich actually won the Henderson fight Someone just forget to tell two of the judges.

Quote Originally Posted by rivethead
    So I have Okami over both of them, but Henderson edging Marquart in terms of rematches.
    Yeah, we agree to disagree. I can't see that Hendo is actually ahead of Marquardt for title contention. I think Marquardt or Okami are pretty even in that area, with a distance between them and everyone else. Maybe a nod to Okami based solely on the fact that Silva hasn't yet beaten him while he's beaten Marquardt, Henderson, and others.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Jackson's Submission Fighting (est. 2000)

Thread Information