+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Japanese mma in trouble?

Default Japanese mma in trouble?

With the two largest mma promotions in the world going through some problems recently, the K1 saga with Bob Sapp (if we are to believe what's been written) & Pride loosing it's tv deal, it appears to me that the Japanese promotors are abandoning mma in droves.

Now ordinarily if something like this happened on it's own it wouldn't make much of a ripple, but with both organisations going through this at the same time, I'm not sure. Either way it looks like Japanese mma is in for a major shakeup.

Does anyone have anymore info on it or (hopefully) am I getting a touch paranoid?

I don't see anything major really happening. I don't see PRIDE or K1 going away anytime soon. Although I wouldn't call you paranoid.

Dont trip as long as mma in Japan pays great money to fighters it will never go bad. They treat fighters like Boxers back in the 90s in the U S

I honestly think that pride is in more trouble than people want to admit. I don't think they are going under but I do think that they are going to take too much of a finantial hit to keep their current roster.

As for K1, they had the Sapp fiasco but they aren't going anywhere, especially not if they think they can make a few moves to hurt Pride.

skyperfect or whatever there called has agreed to show dse shows on ppv for now so they have a tv outlet. the only problem is they also mentioned to dealings with the mafia and dse really needs to clear its name in that regard.

k1 on the other hand is only going to get stronger because of the pride situation and their already the highest rated sports in japan the bab sapp thing isnt going to affect anyone but bob sapp.
    Fabricio Werdum, The Future

Pride isn't going anywhere...you think Pride's scandel w/ the yakuza in't going to harm K-1? Pride and K-1 are going to be holed into the same dirty category as far as the sponsors are concerned. All Fighting Organizations = Yakuza ties, not just Pride.

Short term, Pride's gonna make more money at the gate. Midway, forced to consider other avenues to increase viewership, they're gonna make money through "non-conventional" means, i.e. internet broadcasts, spreading their wings throughout Asia, etc. Long term, they'll be back on free t.v. in Japan and by that time, they'll also be a force with Pride USA.

Pride will always be a step above UFC in true MMA fans eyes. I have ordered every pride i could since i became a fan. So as long as there are MMA fans pride will be here.
    " If the world were a girl I'd stick my dick in the ground, fuck the world" - 2pac
    NOR CAL FIGHTING ALLIANCE
    DAVID TERRELL

Pride USA? That would caind of suck they probably wouldnt be able to have the same rules.

ya it would prob change the rules. I cant wait till strikeforce goes live.
    " If the world were a girl I'd stick my dick in the ground, fuck the world" - 2pac
    NOR CAL FIGHTING ALLIANCE
    DAVID TERRELL

Yeah they are payn for some fighters with names and talent UFC should watch out because if Dana dont start brakn bread hes about to have a over paid King of The Cage.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information