+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Josh Barnett Claims He has Heard Nothing From Affliction

Quote Originally Posted by homegrowncone View Post
    You mean the contradictory news articles? The one's being based of "we may" and "are considering" ? This is certainly not the type of information any rational person would require for a hypothesis.

With Regards to Josh fighting Fedor, I hate to say it, but it just might not happen.

This is a situation where you are asking two very good friends to fight each other, yes they are not in the same camp as say Keith Jardine and Rashad Evans, but in terms of the relationship they have? F*ck I'm sure Rashad and Keith for the right price if it came to that, and somehow Rashad was still holding the title and Keith was a contender, but the "right price" precedent under the UFC is no where NEAR the right price you would have to pay both Fedor and Barnett to fight.

These are guys who have been getting (I'm not gonna look up the states) upwards of $350K for Barnett and upwards of a mill for Fedor with bonus's.

And now you are looking at a situation where obviously Josh would want more to fight Fedor, and hell, givin their friendship, Fedor himself might ask for a bigger cut, his signing bonus was only what $1.5 mill?

Can Affliction really afford to put on a show like that and hope to continue promoting MMA events?

I think they're best be at this point is to have Barnett fight Arlovski, have Vitor fight Babalu (since Vitor wants to move up anyway, and Babalu apparently has no interest in fighting Calvancante) and have Fedor fight Tito.

People will see "ohhhh but Tito is going to be asking for a ridiculous amount of money anyway so it makes no difference" but fuck Tito, if he wants to fight, here we'll give you the best opponent in the world and a decent payday, let's see what you've got.

p.s sooooooooooooooo drunk right now so feel free to rip me apart
    You mean the contradictory news articles? The one's being based of "we may" and "are considering" ? This is certainly not the type of information any rational person would require for a hypothesis.

Well, both MMA Weekly and Yahoo MMA has both reported it for July, while it's not official, i was basing my statement as if they were doing a show in July.

Quote Originally Posted by themmabooker View Post
    Well, both MMA Weekly and Yahoo MMA has both reported it for July, while it's not official, i was basing my statement as if they were doing a show in July.
    Which there is no conclusive evidence that they are, so why don't you start basing your f'n post's on the reality of the situation and not random shit you read on the internet but seem to lack the comprehension to understand.

How the fuck am *I* the drunk one here?

Does anyone else particularly think having Fedor fight each number 1 contender each show is a bad idea?

the reason i ask, is well lets look at it since affliction started, we had sylvia, barnett and arlovski

all fights obvcourse we wanted to see happen. Now as i have been sitting here watching him take these guys out 1 by 1, brings the question

whos next?
    correct me if im wrong, i think i heard somewhere werdum was making his way over to affliction?
    but either way
    should fedor fight barnett now and win, what is next?. tim got the boot, arlovski has gone to boxing, no one else in that division can challenge him, in my opinion they should not of had him fighting each and every show with the fights we want to see straight away, they should of been spaced a bit more and hyped up more. Though i understand its a new organisation and they are trying to establish a name, but i think the way they are doing things, they are setting up for a big fall, when fedor is left with no one left to challenge him. Affliction have 2 of the best heavyweights in the world, though it is no longer the strongest heavyweight division, not all around roster, ive got more people in the ufc id be interested in fighting fedor then there is in affliction at the moment, but each to their own, that is my opinion.

Which there is no conclusive evidence that they are, so why don't you start basing your f'n post's on the reality of the situation and not random shit you read on the internet but seem to lack the comprehension to understand.

First off, what are you talking about? You obviously haven't been reading the thread..Don't come in this thread, bash me on the thread, when you haven't even read it!

I think the major miscommunication is that people are taking rumors as fact, and trying to extrapolate more facts from there...just as armchair accountants want to "prove" that Affliction promotions is running out of money without looking at their books.

When dana says shit just to spin doctor something, it's considered good business...but when Atencio says something, there are a ton of doomsaysers looking to find the seven signs of Afflictions apocolypse by dissecting every sentence.

I don't think Affliction is going to go head-to-head with UFC 100, regardless of conflicting reports. I think Atencio let the rumor get legs because it gets the MMA community talking about Affliction, which is good.

I think any speculation that Afflcition may be in trouble if they don't announce something by such-and-such a date or hold their third event by July is just empty speculation, nothing more. I can understand where people might think there was six months between their first and second shows, so they need to put one out in July...but two shows isn't really enough to create a pattern to predict future behavior.

Again, we don't know what their plan is, we don't know what they have in the works. The only thing I'm sure of is that they're smarter than the doomsayers.

There is a difference between being drunk and being stupid. Tomorrow [well, today, I guess...] you'll wake up sober.

Quote Originally Posted by Ahura View Post
    Does anyone else particularly think having Fedor fight each number 1 contender each show is a bad idea?

the reason i ask, is well lets look at it since affliction started, we had sylvia, barnett and arlovski

all fights obvcourse we wanted to see happen. Now as i have been sitting here watching him take these guys out 1 by 1, brings the question

whos next?
    correct me if im wrong, i think i heard somewhere werdum was making his way over to affliction?
    but either way
    should fedor fight barnett now and win, what is next?. tim got the boot, arlovski has gone to boxing, no one else in that division can challenge him, in my opinion they should not of had him fighting each and every show with the fights we want to see straight away, they should of been spaced a bit more and hyped up more. Though i understand its a new organisation and they are trying to establish a name, but i think the way they are doing things, they are setting up for a big fall, when fedor is left with no one left to challenge him. Affliction have 2 of the best heavyweights in the world, though it is no longer the strongest heavyweight division, not all around roster, ive got more people in the ufc id be interested in fighting fedor then there is in affliction at the moment, but each to their own, that is my opinion.
    Fedor has said that he wants to fight the best, so they might just be giving him what he wants. He's friends with Barnett, however, and they've both said they don't look forward to fighting each other. They didn't say they wouldn't do it, just that they don't look forward to it.

Werdum made overtures to Affliction, but was not accepted. Rumor has it that he wanted more money than they felt he was worth. It's unfortunate and bad timing for him, as he's a very talented fighter who poses a threat to any fighter not named Fedor. Right now, his stock is low, and he doesn't seem to have any prospects of getting a boost in the immediate future.

A lot of people want Fedor to come to the UFC, but it's probably not going to happen. The UFC has the most restrictive contract in the business, and Fedor values freedom and the ability to fight in Russia's national Sambo tourney. It doesn't mean one side is wrong and the other is right...it just means they probably can't come to terms.

That being said, I honestly don't think the UFC has anyone who can pose a threat to Fedor. It doesn't mean it wouldn't be interesting to see him fight them...it's just that I think they all end a tiny little smile on Fedor's face when his hand gets raised.

rh

Quote Originally Posted by themmabooker View Post
    Have you not been reading the news articles?

Several times, it has been reported that Affliction is looking to hold their event in July...
    Where was it announced from Affliction or anyone in Affliction that they would be putting on an event in July? Announced.

See this is your biggest problem, and it's beginning to get really obvious, as I'm not the only one putting you in your place for saying really stupid shit.

You take things you hear from somewhere, regardless of the source, and babble them back as though you are an authority on it. no knowledge, no factual backup, nothing. just you running your mouth perpetuating bad information.

"This is coming up on my third fight for Affliction, with the logical idea that it would lead up to [a fight with Emelianenko]."

What a complete and utter joke!

1. I wouldn't believe anything barnett says.
    2. The things he says that I do believe are unbelievable!
    3. I cant waste my time and energy caring whether or not to believe him any more than I can care what comes out of titos mouth.

lol sounds like you're describing Dana White.

Quote Originally Posted by thumper View Post
    lol sounds like you're describing Dana White.
    I could see that.

Although I'd say dana delivers on his stories more often than barnett does.

10. 03-30-2009, 05:23 PM

ironically, this story was part of a piece on two fighters [both confused/concerned by different orgs], Barnett and Roger Huerta...

Quote Originally Posted by Huerta
    To be honest I'm just waiting... for the UFC to give me a phone call and I'm able to fight my last fight. I'm just kind of waiting on that."— Roger Huerta on Inside MMA, discussing his own uncertain future. After declining to renew his UFC contract in January in order to pursue a career in acting and modeling, Huerta turned down a fight against Joe Stevenson at UFC 95 in February and hasn't exactly been on the UFC's speed-dial since then. Huerta has one fight remaining on his current contract, which runs through December.
    It's nice that cagepotato is unbiased enough to portray the miscommunication/management gaffes of each org in an unbiased fashion, even if our misguided doomsayers sieze the opportunity to question Affliction, while ignoring the flaws within the UFC.

rh

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information