Thread: Michihiro Omigawa vs. Nam Phan to meet in 2nd round of Sengoku GP

Default Michihiro Omigawa vs. Nam Phan to meet in 2nd round of Sengoku GP

Strikeforce veteran Nam Phan (15-5) will meet UFC and PRIDE vet Michihiro Omigawa (5-7-1) in the second round of Sengoku's recently commenced featherweight grand prix.

The fight takes place May 2 at Sengoku Eighth Battle, which is set for the National Yoyogi Stadium in Tokyo, Japan. The event airs in North American on HDNet.

Phan recently announced the bout, and World Victory Road is expected to reveal the full line-up of second-round matchups this week.

Phan, widely regarded as one of the featherweight division's top-15 fighters, advanced in the tournament with a first-round TKO of Hideki Kadowaki earlier this month. It was Phan's third victory in a four-fight span. The lone loss came via a controversial split decision to Billy Evangelista at Strikeforce's June 2008 event.

Phan will now meet Omigawa, a champion judo competitor who's had mixed results in MMA. Omigawa entered the Sengoku featherweight grand prix with a 0-3-1 record in his previous four fights, which included a 0-2 mark during a stint with the UFC from 2007-2008. However, Omigawa upset IFL and Affliction vet L.C. Davis in a first-round matchup to advance in the tournament.

Other remaining competitors in the 16-slot tournament include Nick Denis, Hatsu Hioki, Chan Sung Jung, Masanori Kanehara, Ronnie Mann and Marlon Sandro.

For the latest on Sengoku Eighth Battle, including the latest confirmed fight card, check out the MMA Rumors section of MMAjunkie.com.
    Before this past month, I'd have picked Phan all day in this fight. After seeing Omigawa not only upset, but completely control Davis, I'm not sure. Should be a good one, though.

Source: Nam Phan meets Michihiro Omigawa in second round of Sengoku grand prix | MMAjunkie.com
    3-4 in sig bets. FUCK me.

I'm still picking Phan, but just like you said I'm not as confident doing so as I would have been before Davis got worked.

They way they were talking at the press conference it looks like Denis and Jung may be fighting each other as well.

I doubt they match Ronnie Mann and Sandro in the second round , so maybe Mann Vs Kanehara and Sandro for Hioki?

Going to be another awesome night of fights from Japan no matter what, too bad no King Mo. Maybe they can get Mark Hunt to fight Jim York for one of the superfights?

Anyone have word on when Bigfoot might fight again?

Thread Information