Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 25

Thread: Is Anderson Silva being protected?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    29

    Default Is Anderson Silva being protected?

    I know what you're all thinking, but think about it a bit more. #1 P4P talk, record setting defences and record setting number of wins in UFC but fights against the like of Cote, Lutter, Irvin. I mean his last two fights are hardly challenges for a man as skilled as Silva and yet, with all this talk of him retiring soon, he's fighting them.

    Dana White knows he's onto a good thing so he continues to hype him all while having him face Thales Leites in a weeks time. All due respect to Leites but, barring an improbable upset, Siva will beat him handily.

    Does anyone else think that the UFC are protecting Silva by having him face these kinds of competitors so that they can market him as a wrecking machine that can carry PPV's on his own before having him face the big guns at 205 or maybe even Henderson or Bisping?

    (I am in no way disputing the qualities and skills possessed by Silva, I merely think he could have had better challenges. He owned Franklin twice, Marquardt and beat Henderson soundly. I just think he could be tested further than this.)

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Jersey
    Posts
    4,103

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by premierf View Post
    I know what you're all thinking, but think about it a bit more. #1 P4P talk, record setting defences and record setting number of wins in UFC but fights against the like of Cote, Lutter, Irvin. I mean his last two fights are hardly challenges for a man as skilled as Silva and yet, with all this talk of him retiring soon, he's fighting them.

    Dana White knows he's onto a good thing so he continues to hype him all while having him face Thales Leites in a weeks time. All due respect to Leites but, barring an improbable upset, Siva will beat him handily.

    Does anyone else think that the UFC are protecting Silva by having him face these kinds of competitors so that they can market him as a wrecking machine that can carry PPV's on his own before having him face the big guns at 205 or maybe even Henderson or Bisping?

    (I am in no way disputing the qualities and skills possessed by Silva, I merely think he could have had better challenges. He owned Franklin twice, Marquardt and beat Henderson soundly. I just think he could be tested further than this.)

    And who exactly is there for him to fight? He is destroying the entire 185 division.

    It may look like he is being protected but that is because he is so much better then everyone and there is no one else to fight.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    29

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CRisCO View Post
    And who exactly is there for him to fight? He is destroying the entire 185 division.

    It may look like he is being protected but that is because he is so much better then everyone and there is no one else to fight.
    I realise what you're saying, it just feels like there's something just not right about these routine defences. If he really wants to fight at 205, give him a big fight, don't waste his talent by having him destroy a James Irvin level fighter in a minute. He'd have been better fighting a Jardine or Vera type at 205 than Irvin.

    I agree with you to an extent at 185, hopefully Henderson or Mardquart could give him a better challenge 2nd time round.

    But routine defences like the one against Cote are characteristics of boxing and all it does is pad out a record. I just mean I'm a little disappointed with the calibre of his last two, and now current, opponents. Especially given this #1 P4P talk. Maybe Wanderlei Silva at 185 would be a good test.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Jersey
    Posts
    4,103

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by premierf View Post
    I realise what you're saying, it just feels like there's something just not right about these routine defences. If he really wants to fight at 205, give him a big fight, don't waste his talent by having him destroy a James Irvin level fighter in a minute. He'd have been better fighting a Jardine or Vera type at 205 than Irvin.

    I agree with you to an extent at 185, hopefully Henderson or Mardquart could give him a better challenge 2nd time round.

    But routine defences like the one against Cote are characteristics of boxing and all it does is pad out a record. I just mean I'm a little disappointed with the calibre of his last two, and now current, opponents. Especially given this #1 P4P talk. Maybe Wanderlei Silva at 185 would be a good test.
    His defenses are based on lack of talent pool in the div... Wandy would get laid out by silva. Cote was coming off an impressive win and was a solid striker and tough guy.

    Thales is #6 on a lot of top 10 lists for 185. The reason he fought irving was to adjust to the weight shift. You don't move up in weight and fight a real contender right away it's bad for business. Irving was a good level and he throws bombs can knock you out with either hand. It would have been an exciting match up.

    My question is who is left in the division for Anderson to fight besides Thales and people that Anderson has already beat?

    The only person is Damian Maia and the only reason he didn't get a shot was because he didn't have any high level wins. Thales "beat" Nate and Nate is an animal. But Silva tore threw Nate and now it's Thales' turn.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    29

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CRisCO View Post
    His defenses are based on lack of talent pool in the div... Wandy would get laid out by silva. Cote was coming off an impressive win and was a solid striker and tough guy.
    I didn't think Cote's win over Almeida was particularly impressive. In fact, I thought that fight highlighted that neither of those two were capable of beating Silva.

    You don't move up in weight and fight a real contender right away it's bad for business. Irving was a good level and he throws bombs can knock you out with either hand. It would have been an exciting match up.
    Penn moved up to fight Hughes when Hughes was on fire and beat him, Couture moved back up to face Sylvia and beat him. I think if you're on the level these guys are at, you can handle a little bit more than James Irvin. Plus, Silva wasn't exactly a small light-heavyweight.

    My question is who is left in the division for Anderson to fight besides Thales and people that Anderson has already beat?

    The only person is Damian Maia and the only reason he didn't get a shot was because he didn't have any high level wins. Thales "beat" Nate and Nate is an animal. But Silva tore threw Nate and now it's Thales' turn.
    I will concede it is probably Thales turn but it just doesn't seem like a big test for him. I'd be surprised if it goes past the first and as for Maia, he needs to develop his stand up because he'll get killed on the feet if they were to meet tomorrow.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Jersey
    Posts
    4,103

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by premierf View Post


    I will concede it is probably Thales turn but it just doesn't seem like a big test for him. I'd be surprised if it goes past the first and as for Maia, he needs to develop his stand up because he'll get killed on the feet if they were to meet tomorrow.
    So you agree with me then he isn't being protected there just isn't anyone to fight him?

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    29

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CRisCO View Post
    So you agree with me then he isn't being protected there just isn't anyone to fight him?

    No, what I mean is, it probably is Thales' turn if you're looking for a routine defence but there are bigger challenges out there and Dana White knows it. If you're the P4P best then shouldn't you be proving it against better calibre oppostion and while there may be a derth at 185,Silva has made it known he's willing and would like to fight at 205, where there are a vast number of fighters that would challenge him, eg. Griffin, Rampage, Evans, Shogun, Jardine, Cane, Vera even Tito if he came back healthy, maybe even Chuck if he were to regain form.

    And, I'm not especially interested in watching him blast through a guy he's supposed to beat.

    I used to look forward to every UFC event and would sit till 3am to watch them live (I live in the UK) but I'll not bother if it's just a mismatch like the last few of Silva's have been.

    So, yeah, he is currently much better than everyone at 185 but maybe not at 205. I think that's where he's being protected from.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    9,434

    Default

    He beat Franklin twice, Henderson, Marquardt, and Lutter who many people said gave him the best run for his money. After that, he beat Irvin who had just beaten Luis Cane and Houston Alexander. Cote next who had won 5 in a row and deserved his shot.

    To sum it up, you're talking out of your ass. He said publicly he wasn't interested in chasing the LHW title. No reason to risk him stomping a top contender in that division if he's not going to chase the title.
    You say shark I say hey man, Jaws was never my scene and I don't like Star Wars

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    29

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DonFrye View Post
    He beat Franklin twice, Henderson, Marquardt, and Lutter who many people said gave him the best run for his money. After that, he beat Irvin who had just beaten Luis Cane and Houston Alexander. Cote next who had won 5 in a row and deserved his shot.

    To sum it up, you're talking out of your ass. He said publicly he wasn't interested in chasing the LHW title. No reason to risk him stomping a top contender in that division if he's not going to chase the title.
    I didn't dispute the quality of the Franklin, Henderson or Marquardt wins. But after the Henderson win, the P4P talk has reached fever pitch and who has he fought? James Irvin, who won by DQ against Cane and beat Alexander, who hasn't impressed in a long time and will soon be gone and forgotten about, and as much as I like Cote, the win over Almeida was nowhere near impressive and his previous win was against Drew McFedries who has lost 3 of his last 4, all under two minutes.

    Compare that to Fedor's last two opponents and there really can't be any argument over the level of opponent, same goes for GSP who's demolished Fitch and Penn. Now that is fighting the best.

    I personally think Silva would win at 205 in a superfight with most the elite and the others would be too close to call. I just think the UFC is protecting their investment because they don't want to risk him losing and ruining their attempts to market him as the best.

    And wouldn't you rather watch Silva vs Griffin or Rampage or Liddell over Thales Leites? I know I would and so would a lot of others.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Jersey
    Posts
    4,103

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by premierf View Post
    I didn't dispute the quality of the Franklin, Henderson or Marquardt wins. But after the Henderson win, the P4P talk has reached fever pitch and who has he fought? James Irvin, who won by DQ against Cane and beat Alexander, who hasn't impressed in a long time and will soon be gone and forgotten about, and as much as I like Cote, the win over Almeida was nowhere near impressive and his previous win was against Drew McFedries who has lost 3 of his last 4, all under two minutes.

    Compare that to Fedor's last two opponents and there really can't be any argument over the level of opponent, same goes for GSP who's demolished Fitch and Penn. Now that is fighting the best.

    I personally think Silva would win at 205 in a superfight with most the elite and the others would be too close to call. I just think the UFC is protecting their investment because they don't want to risk him losing and ruining their attempts to market him as the best.

    And wouldn't you rather watch Silva vs Griffin or Rampage or Liddell over Thales Leites? I know I would and so would a lot of others.

    You also do realize that A.Silva is not a really a huge PPV draw either right? I would love to se Silva fight those dudes but the problem is he is the champ of 185 and if he embarked upon a 205 campaign it would fuck up the division.

    Yea sure BJ did it but BJ vs GSP was a HUGE fight. It was champion on champion. It makes no sense to have AS move up to 185 and not fight a champion.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •