Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: GSP > Silva

I like both Silva and GSP but if they ever fought I would be cheering for Silva to whoop that ass.

I think the main reason that I have and still do stand behind the notion that GSP is a level above Silva is their respective competition lately. I mean take a look at both of their last 5 fights.

Anderson Silva: Thales Leities (Got dominated by Nate, gets a title shot by submitting the Houston of MW, Mcfedries), Patrick Cote (beats Almeida in his 2nd fight in over 4 years by a Split for a title shot), James Irvin (irrelevant 205er who isn't even top 10), Dan Henderson (Amazing win for sure), Rich Franklin (Another quality win, no arguements here)

GSP: BJ Penn (UFC LW Champ, concensus #1 LW), John Fitch (Top 3 WW, 8-0 UFC mark), Matt Serra (Avenges the loss in dominating fashion, Gains back WW title), Matt Hughes (Avenges the loss again with an armbar for the Interim WW title), Josh Koscheck (Top 10 WW coming off the Diego win)

You say GSP's been finished? So has Anderson (twice) You say GSP's been beaten by lesser competition? So has Anderson (twice) Anderson has not finished his last 2 fights, so don't pull the 'he finishes all his fights' card. GSP has been to 5 decisions compared to Anderson's 7 decisions. They have both nearly cleaned out their divisions. GSP has avenged both of his losses, Anderson has avenged 0 of his 3 losses (Okami doesn't really count) When's the last time GSP has lost a round decisively? 2006 against BJ. Anderson lost 2 out of 5 rounds against Leites, 1 round (arguably) against Cote, 1 round against Henderson, 1 round (arguably) against Lutter. That's in the past 2 years! GSP has more notable wins in the last 5 years in my opinion (Karo, Hughes (x2), Penn (x2), Sherk, Fitch, Koscheck) compared to Anderson's (Franklin (x2), Henderson, Nate)

In conclusion, the only real knock on GSP is the Serra loss. The vaseline card is B.S. (he did use it, he would have won either way) GSP is just as complete all around as Silva.

Striking: Anderson
    Wrestling: GSP
    JJ: GSP
    Accuracy: Almost even, slight edge to Silva
    Control: GSP

I think it's more of a bias then it is a fact that Silva is ahead of GSP.
    1-0 in Sig/Avatar bets. [B]UFC champions in 2010
    LW: Sean Sherk
    WW: GSP or Anthony Johnson
    MW: Demian Maia
    LHW: Lyoto Machida
    HW: Cain Valasquez or Shane Carwin

MW's with the potential to dethrone Anderson Silva: Cung Le, Giva Santana and Demian Maia.

Quote Originally Posted by egangster View Post
    Wow man are u retarted?
    Stellar response! I assume you are referring to me though I should point out it is spelled retarded. Anyway, what point of my post do you think is retarded, as you so eloquently pointed out?
    Last edited by cnlclink; 04-26-2009 at 05:47 AM.
    FW-Hominick, Weichel
    LW-Stout, Cerrone, Jim Miller
    WW-GSP, Fitch, Goulet, Rory
    MW-Shlemenko
    LHW-Jones
    HW-Carwin, Barry, Russow

RRR=the Rhonda Rousey Resistance

classic - "this is the dumbest thing Ive ever heard. thats like me having a picture of Hitler posted, and saying "I dont believe in his politics, but I like to hear him talk" W.Silva>C.Norris

Quote Originally Posted by ghosttown View Post

I agree that GSP has a better record and is ahead of Silva p4p...but I think it has more to do with the fact that dana needed to preemptively counter the re-emergence of Fedor [for a rival org] at a point when the Serra beatdown was still fresh in everyone's mind, so he settled on Silva to carry the torch for the UFC. Regardless, they're both behind Fedor, p4p, without question.

That being said, no way does GSP have better JJ than Silva, and Anderson's accuracy is more than a slight edge advantage. You didn't bring up the fact that neither of them have KO power, but probably because you were only comparing them to each other.

And if they were to meet at 185, Silva takes the fight eight times out of 10. As Penn can attest, p4p skills don't automatically translate to being able to jump up and win against an elite peer in a heavier weight class.

rh

Originally Posted by ghosttown

Figure in Anderson's sprawl, length (body triangle and control from bottom guard), footwork, and GSP's total lack of head movement, and you have a true mismatch in this fight.

As far as GSP's BJJ, I think you may have ingested some chemicals. Anderson is miles ahead of Georges in that department. And like RH said, accuracy is not even close.
    You say shark I say hey man, Jaws was never my scene and I don't like Star Wars

Quote Originally Posted by roaddawg View Post
    That only illustrates that GSP isnt that smart of a fighter if he will willing jump into the guard of someone who can submit him. Thats about as bad of a statement of me saying that GSP selected not to go toe to toe in stand up with BJ knowing he would get out classed.
    MMA math has been proven to fail.

Fighter A beat fighter B, Fighter B beat fighter C = Fighter A automatically beats Fighter C
    This logic doesnt always apply to MMA.
    Yanno all this focus on GSP and Silva meanwhile Alves is somewhere quiet and training his ass off. Something tells me an upset may be in the making.
    I like both Silva and GSP but if they ever fought I would be cheering for Silva to whoop that ass.

It doesn't suprise me that you have managed to gather 500 posts in such a short time, considering you just posted 4 times in one thread and none of your posts added anything to the conversation at all. How does GSP engaging ground fighters on the ground show that he is reckless? It's way safer for GSP on the ground against the black belts he has faced than it is on the feet. It's funny becuase you disagree with yourself in your last sentence....

That only illustrates that GSP isnt that smart of a fighter if he will willing jump into the guard of someone who can submit him. Thats about as bad of a statement of me saying that GSP selected not to go toe to toe in stand up with BJ knowing he would get out classed.

So he shouldn't have stood with BJ, or gone to the ground with him?
    Last edited by neonatural45; 04-27-2009 at 12:15 AM.

can we just agree that both Silva and GSP are at the very top and it would be awesome if they would fight? both are so incredibly skilled that you cannot put a price-stamp on their skills. he has better BJJ or he ... nobody can say unless they would fight each other 10 times.
    when GSP in on top of somebody reigning down while having insane controll over what happens ... or when Silva seems to have total controll in the standup etc. GSPs incredible wrestling etc.

i wouldnt dare to even think about who would win between those 2 guys.
    http://forums.mmanews.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=36268&dateline=123102  8211

^^^

...as long as "the very top" means right under Fedor, I'm fine with it...

rh

"P4P", "the very top", "best in the world" whatever title MMA fans want to give any of these fighters its no way indicative of the outcome should they ever meet in the octagon.

That said Im fine with it as well.

Thread Information