Page 33 of 138 FirstFirst ... 2331323334354383133 ... LastLast

Thread: What no hockey playoffs

Wings are back in. 7-4 in a wild, wild game. Nice to see Abdelkader finally playing. I would have started him game 1, but that's just me.

Nice game by the Devils to get back in as well.

Still not sure how the Avs let the Sharks back in. Once SJ survived the 5-on-3 pp in the 3rd I knew they were going to get the W.

Chicago, like many other teams with home ice advantage, are off to a rough start. 3rd period became a bit ugly for them.

The Sensational One Guest

Quote Originally Posted by kickass32 View Post
    Well it's a funny story...I was never a Gretzky fan..really dispised him until his retirement and he ran team Canada, but anyways, when Wayne Gretzky called NewJersey a "Mickey Mouse" organization, I figured it was pretty disrespectful and so I decided If Wayne didn't like them...I would. Scott Stevens was always my favorite player as well, and when Marty Brodeur got there, everything was in place!
    Lol Scott Stevens was a monster. Brodeur was/ is my favorite player, but i remember old Scotty Stevens wrecking people every chance he got lol.

New Jersey won and tied that series up. Chicago, lol, what the hell. Aw well.

Quote Originally Posted by kickass32 View Post
    Well it's a funny story...I was never a Gretzky fan..really dispised him until his retirement and he ran team Canada, but anyways, when Wayne Gretzky called NewJersey a "Mickey Mouse" organization, I figured it was pretty disrespectful and so I decided If Wayne didn't like them...I would. Scott Stevens was always my favorite player as well, and when Marty Brodeur got there, everything was in place!
    Gretzky is the greatest of all time, one would be a fool to try and dispute that. Why didn't you like him? He was very respectful, not at all arrogant, and the best ever........I can't imagine anyone not liking him.

Quote Originally Posted by dan the man 67 View Post
    Gretzky is the greatest of all time, one would be a fool to try and dispute that. Why didn't you like him? He was very respectful, not at all arrogant, and the best ever........I can't imagine anyone not liking him.
    At that point Mike Bossy and Bryan Trottier were 2 of my favs, they were natural rivals with the Oilers and Gretzky.
    I've always been a defence first kind of guy, and Gretzky wasn't a great or good defencive player.
    Nothing taken away from Wayne....looking back, yes, Gretzky was always respectful, never cocky, but I just didn't care for that 1 dimensional offencive hockey at the time.

As for the Greatest of all time....that is still open to debate...Orr, Howe Lemieux....Best all round...etc...Lemieux, in my eyes was the most talented player ever, Gretzky the "best" player ( Mario had more talent, but with injuries and less internal drive than Wayne, and Wayne doing more with less talent) Best all round player I would say Bryan Trottier.
    " I don't want to die for you, but if dying is asked of me, I'll bear that cross with honour, 'cause freedom don't come free."
    "All men wanna be rich, rich men wanna be kings, a king ain't satisfied til he rules everything"

When I was a kid I was a Mike Bossy fan. That basically meant that for most of the games I went to I cheered the local Wings team on save for when the Islanders came to town. They had a hell of a team back when. I even managed to get most of their autographs as I was the only one wearing an Islanders jersey. Billy Smith even signed one for me. When I got older I just stayed with Detroit no matter who they played.

Of all the players I ever saw play, I'd go with Mario Lemieux as the best ever. That's just my opinion as I know most recognize Gretzky as having that distinction. And, yes, it's because he seemed so well rounded. I think he also achieved more in less time than did Gretzky.

I have never been a fan of "the greatest" anything in sports. I really think the era makes the player. The wide open hockey of the 80's helped the best players get inflated stats.

It would have been interesting to see players like Crosby, Ovechkin, Jagr, and Datsyuk start their careers in the mid 70's. I feel like I am missing a big name in that list but ah well...

It's all very subjective. I was lucky enough to have the opportunity to sit down with Bobby Hull and have a few beers with him....this going back to '91 or '92, and I asked him about the generation thing and who he thought would've still been a superstar back in the day. His answers somewhat suprised me. He said he didn't think Gretzky would have been able to be the star back in the 50's/60's, nor Steve Yzerman, but Mario Lemieux and Pat Lafontaine would've.
    Lafontaine was the name that really suprised me, cause I always thought he was pretty soft and kinda a pussy.

How would have Gretzky made out with Semenko and Mcsorley having the instigator rule holding them back. How much more would Yzerman accomplished if not for playing on a horrible team for the first part of his career....same as Dale Hawerchuck.
    " I don't want to die for you, but if dying is asked of me, I'll bear that cross with honour, 'cause freedom don't come free."
    "All men wanna be rich, rich men wanna be kings, a king ain't satisfied til he rules everything"

Brutal, brutal loss by Montreal last night. Losing in 1st minute of overtime after having been up 4 -1???? Unacceptable.

Quote Originally Posted by dan the man 67 View Post
    Brutal, brutal loss by Montreal last night. Losing in 1st minute of overtime after having been up 4 -1???? Unacceptable.
    Man I got home and it was 4-1, I turned on Strikeforce, and then when it was over I turned on TSN for the hockey highlites and found out The Caps came back and won it.........I almost fell down.
    You can't blow 3 goal leads and hope to move on........

On a positive note..The Barrie Colts are only 2 wins away from going to the OHL finals!

Arrrgh, then the Wings lose yesterday. So much for having the advantage of having won 1 game out of two on the road.

I was so bummed.......I got offered tickets to the game yesterday, but was out of town.

Thread Information