Page 24 of 138 FirstFirst ... 1422232425263474124 ... LastLast

Thread: What no hockey playoffs

Detroit is playing a lot better now, they seem to be on a roll. I think they are a lock for at least the 8th spot at this point. Calgary, just doesn't seem to beable to keep any momentum going. I think they are done.
    I would hate to have to play the 'wings in the opening round!
    " I don't want to die for you, but if dying is asked of me, I'll bear that cross with honour, 'cause freedom don't come free."
    "All men wanna be rich, rich men wanna be kings, a king ain't satisfied til he rules everything"

The Sensational One Guest

Well if Detroit goes up against the Blackhawks they are done. The Blackhawks will own them, i think San Jose this year will do very well in the playoffs and can't see Detroit beating them in a playoff series. Detroit in my opinion will have to get to the 5th place spot and face the Coyotes and hope the Blackhawks and Sharks get eliminated for them to do good this year.

Detroit must be pretty confident in their ability to make the playoffs....they are printing playoff tickets for Saturday!
    With their wealth of experience, Detroit can beat anybody that they play.
    Do I think they'll beat Chicago? Probably not, but with the 'Hawks goaltending, I wouldn't say they are a sure thing either.
    " I don't want to die for you, but if dying is asked of me, I'll bear that cross with honour, 'cause freedom don't come free."
    "All men wanna be rich, rich men wanna be kings, a king ain't satisfied til he rules everything"

Quote Originally Posted by The Sensational One View Post
    Well if Detroit goes up against the Blackhawks they are done. The Blackhawks will own them, i think San Jose this year will do very well in the playoffs and can't see Detroit beating them in a playoff series. Detroit in my opinion will have to get to the 5th place spot and face the Coyotes and hope the Blackhawks and Sharks get eliminated for them to do good this year.
    No team will "own" Detroit....they are too talented and experienced. When they are on their game, they are capable of beating any team in the league. They are coming on strong right now, which is perfect timing. If they can carry this momentum into, and through the playoffs, they could be the Champs once again. Don't get me wrong, it won't be easy.

Quote Originally Posted by dan the man 67 View Post
    No team will "own" Detroit....they are too talented and experienced. When they are on their game, they are capable of beating any team in the league. They are coming on strong right now, which is perfect timing. If they can carry this momentum into, and through the playoffs, they could be the Champs once again. Don't get me wrong, it won't be easy.
    I think seeding this year means little. Yes it assures home ice advantage but in terms of quality teams there is not much of a difference in the West. 12 points separates the Wings from the Blackhawks. That is a tiny amount compared to years past.

The eastern conference has a point spread of 30. I don't think anyone expects Bostom to give Washington trouble. In the West we could easily have two of the 5-8th seeded teams playing in the conference finals. It wouldn't surprise me one bit.

Detroit has a winning record this season against every team ranked above them in the Western Conference save for Chicago and that series is tied. I believe that Detroit is going to be the last team any of those teams will want to face.

San Jose is going to do what they've done in years past: drop. They just can't get it done come playoff time. Chicago's goaltending will be their undoing. Not sure about Phoenix. Detroit's done well against them so far, but they've had a nice run up until the last two games.

I like Detroit's chances this year. At least as far as making it through two rounds in the playoffs are concerned. They're starting to 'click' at just the right time.

Quote Originally Posted by dan the man 67 View Post
    Well depends on the definition of own. Beating them 4-0 in a sweep, yeah i think atleast 4 teams come to mind that have a good chance at doing it. Will the games be close, yes, but not the series. Washington, Chicago, New Jersey, Vancouver. The west is loaded and Detroit is not really a big player in it, they have experience i'll give you that, but their goaltending isn't the best either, they are +5 this season so far in the difference in gf and ga. Not a real highpowered offense or real good goaltending. I see them making the playoffs but losing first round depending.

No i do not think they could be champs this year, Pitt yes, Detroit, no.

Quote Originally Posted by The Sensational One View Post
    Well depends on the definition of own. Beating them 4-0 in a sweep, yeah i think atleast 4 teams come to mind that have a good chance at doing it. Will the games be close, yes, but not the series. Washington, Chicago, New Jersey, Vancouver. The west is loaded and Detroit is not really a big player in it, they have experience i'll give you that, but their goaltending isn't the best either, they are +5 this season so far in the difference in gf and ga. Not a real highpowered offense or real good goaltending. I see them making the playoffs but losing first round depending.

No i do not think they could be champs this year, Pitt yes, Detroit, no.
    The only way NewJersey or Washington would get a chance to sweep Detroit would be in the Cup finals.
    There aren't too many sweeps anymore, and I guarantee you, no matter what, Detroit's experience will be good for 1 win against anybody. Yes the 'Wings goaltending maybe a question mark, but no more than Chicago's. And let's remember, at this point last year everyone was questioning Detroit's goaltending as well, and Osgood did ok!
    There will be a lot of "lack of playoff experience" this year. Phoenix, L-A, while they may be good teams, they lack any substantial experience....and you cannot underestimate what experience can do for a team in the playoffs.

Quote Originally Posted by kickass32 View Post
    The only way NewJersey or Washington would get a chance to sweep Detroit would be in the Cup finals.
    There aren't too many sweeps anymore, and I guarantee you, no matter what, Detroit's experience will be good for 1 win against anybody. Yes the 'Wings goaltending maybe a question mark, but no more than Chicago's. And let's remember, at this point last year everyone was questioning Detroit's goaltending as well, and Osgood did ok!
    There will be a lot of "lack of playoff experience" this year. Phoenix, L-A, while they may be good teams, they lack any substantial experience....and you cannot underestimate what experience can do for a team in the playoffs.
    I know about the stanley cup finals, but it was just to show there are teams that can do it and New Jersey did last time they faced in the stanley cup finals.

L.A. will beat Detroit if they play, one of the big things Detroit always had problems with is superior goaltending and Quick is one of the leagues best also Pheonix has Brzgalov who is one of the best as well. Plus the Kings have a great player in Kopitar who has played very well this season and has alot of goals and points. So if detroit wants to have a good chance i say play Pheonix cause although they got a real good goalie they kinda score around as much as Detroit. But really Detroit should try to get to 4 th place, which i don't think they will, and try and match up against Nashville, others San Jose, Blackhawks, Vancouver, will all beat them in the opening round.

Experience is a big factor, don't get me wrong they got guys with experience, but experience alone isn't enough. You need youth, hunger, that drive and skill. I just don't think they are there anymore, this is the year Detroit starts falling off and new titans emerge like Blackhawks, San Jose, Pitt, Washington. These teams are just way to much filled with skilled players to be beat. Chicago also has pretty good goaltending. They have one of the lowest GA in the league behind only New Jesey, Boston,Buffalo, and Pheonix. NIemi has been good, with a low to decent GAA with 6 shutouts. Chicago has a better edge in goaltending, and so does just about every team in the West. Blackhawks have a better advantage in depth, skilled playes, along with San Jose, and Washington in the east along with New Jersey, Pitt.

I just don't see Detroit making it by the first round against SJ,CHI,VAN,L.A. They may beat PHX but it will be close and i would still vote for PHX.

Detroit just won the Cup in '08, and the current team is not much different than that team. Howard has played very well this season, and if he can continue to play at the level he is capable of, the Wings have as good a chance as any to win the Cup.

Bottom line is that it really all comes down to goaltending. Any team making the playoffs obviously have a good enough goalie to have gotten them there, the key is which ones don't crack under the pressure of playoff hockey. Which one will rise to another level at the most crucial point of the season.

It's gonna be good. Nothing beats NHL playoff hockey!

Thread Information