Page 52 of 138 FirstFirst ... 242505152535462102 ... LastLast

Thread: What no hockey playoffs

I am not really a shootout fan either. Before it was implemented I was all for it because penalty shots were so rare and it would be a nice change of pace. Now I can't stand it.

I like the idea of 3 on 3 but dropping anymore than that might create too much open ice.

Man pushing back the Kovalchuck contract decision until Fri. at 5:00...brutal, ok the fricken contract already!!!!
    " I don't want to die for you, but if dying is asked of me, I'll bear that cross with honour, 'cause freedom don't come free."
    "All men wanna be rich, rich men wanna be kings, a king ain't satisfied til he rules everything"

Niemi to the Sharks. Interesting.

Holy fuck, now the Kolvy decision has been pushed back yet again until 8 tonight.....5 mins from now...make up your fricken mind Bettman you fucking tool!!!!
    " I don't want to die for you, but if dying is asked of me, I'll bear that cross with honour, 'cause freedom don't come free."
    "All men wanna be rich, rich men wanna be kings, a king ain't satisfied til he rules everything"

Good news, we can finally put this shit behind us......also...fuck yeah, GO DEVILS!!!!!

From TSN - Canada's Sports Leader
    NHL,NHLPA agree to rules on contracts, approve Kovalchuk's deal

The NHL and the NHL Players' Association have reached an agreement on an amendment to the rules that govern long-term contracts.

The two sides have also agreed to extend the 5pm et deadline to complete the paperwork involved with the Ilya Kovalchuk contract situation.

Kovalchuk's 15-year, $100 million contract with the New Jersey Devils has been approved as part of a new global settlement. Deals like those signed by Kovalchuk, Roberto Luongo, Marian Hossa, and Marc Savard will be the last of their kind.

The amendments address two specific rules which only apply to long-term contracts (contracts defined as five years or longer).

First: For long-term contracts extending beyond the age of 40, the contract's average annual value for the years up to and including 40, are calculated by dividing total value in those years by the number of years up to and including 40. Then for the years covering ages 41 and beyond, the cap charge in each year is equal to the value of the contract in that year.

For example, when a 35-year old player agrees to a seven-year deal that expires when he's 42, the NHL would now take the first five years of the contract to age 40 and average them out. The total becomes the dollars divided by five years. That player's average annual salary would then become the cap hit.

His cap hit in the final two years of his deal would be the actual value of the contract in those seasons, therefore a cap hit of $525,000 for years six and seven of the deal.

Secondly, for long-term contracts that include years in which the player is 36, 37, 38, 39 and 40; the amount used for purposes of calculating his average annual value is a minimum of $1 million in each of those years (even if his actual compensation is less during those seasons).

As an example, a player signs the exact same seven-year deal discussed above, however the deal is signed at the age of 32 and is set to expire when the player reaches 39 years old. For that contract, the two seasons at $525,000 would remain, however they would be treated as years at $1 million for the purpose of calculating the appropriate cap charge.

These new rules will only apply to contracts negotiated and filed after Sept. 3. They do not apply retroactively to existing contracts, therefore long-term deals signed by the likes of Henrik Zetterberg and Rick DiPietro would remain unaffected by Friday's decision.

Well the pre-season is under way....thoughts gentlemen????

Well, my only thought is:

The NHL is back! Can't wait to start watching some games. So many teams to keep track of to see how they do. Especially my Wings.

Quote Originally Posted by pantomime horse View Post
    Well, my only thought is:

The NHL is back! Can't wait to start watching some games. So many teams to keep track of to see how they do. Especially my Wings.
    I am anxious to see how Modano will affect the team.

Quote Originally Posted by dan the man 67 View Post
    I am anxious to see how Modano will affect the team.
    Minimally.
    "If a man with no arms and a man with no legs started learning karate, the same light bulb would appear over every head in Japan. That’s right: Glue them together and see if it can kill a panda."

I am anxious, and hopeful Kovalchuck can find some chemistry with Parise and Zajac....if they can find some magic, the Devils could be very tough to beat this year.

Thread Information