Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 19

Thread: Condition and stamina question.

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    2,997

    Default Condition and stamina question.

    Anyone have tips on quickly building stamina and conditioning?

    Any good books?
    Last edited by b1uef1ow; 04-29-2009 at 01:37 PM.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    1,326

    Default

    Anything in particular? I like Matt Furey's Combat Conditioning, good basic stuff, though many people seem to hate the guy.

    How about kettlebells? Try 'Power to the People' by Pavel Tsatsouline.

    For quick strength, strength endurance, or busting through plateaus, I like density training. Charles Staley has some good stuff, I've also read some good articles by coach Ethan Reeves.

    Good luck
    e.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    "Without blinking I bitch slapped him right across the face and grabbed him and yelled, "You go out there and beat his ass!!!" Nate "The Rock" Quarry.

    "Shit just got real here in the Max!" Michael "The Voice" Schiavello at K-1 World Max Rd of 16 2010, Zambidis vs. Chahid.

  3. #3

    Default

    There's a lot of good books out there.... the only thing you can do is to focus. and have discipline...

  4. #4

    Default

    this guy's site has a lot of videos and free info... his free workout is pretty good too. check it out:

    MMA Performance Coach Eric Wong's Blog, workout articles, MMA workouts, training ideas, nutrition, strength and conditioning

  5. #5

    Default

    I do 2 to 3 hours of running and jogging in the field and high hills to develop my stamina. Aside from that I play tennis this is also good in developing your stamina. Also try to do some 300 spartan workouts aside form stamina you can have a good body shape.



    ____________________________________
    Sports Coupon, Sports Footwear

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Pflugerville, TX
    Posts
    4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ashgray2 View Post
    I do 2 to 3 hours of running and jogging in the field and high hills to develop my stamina. Aside from that I play tennis this is also good in developing your stamina. Also try to do some 300 spartan workouts aside form stamina you can have a good body shape.

    Running 2-3 hours isn't going to increase your stamina/ endurance, just prove that you have it. For example, if I drive a car at 120 mph I am NOT increasing it's mph, I am simply displaying what the car is already capable of. However, if I want to increase the mph and sustain that over a period of time (1/4 mile, Indy 500, whatever my race may be) I would have to ADD MUSCLE to the engine. Likewise, for a human you would have to make them stronger and increase their lung capacity (not even getting to what actually fuels the body- nutrition).

    The training you are talking about is only focusing on the oxidative metobolic pathway. (anything outside of 3 mins). However you are neglecting the phosphagen (anything under 10 seconds) and glycolytic (usually lasts between 20 sec- not yet 3 min). The phosphagen is the highest energy source, then next is glycolytic and the lowest is going to be the oxidative- that you are talking about.

    High intensity workouts are better methods for increasing lung capacity. Building muscles also helps because you are increasing the work load in which you body can move. However, long slow runs do nothing but measure current progress and tear down the body.

  7. #7

    Default Elliptical

    How about using an elliptical at different resistance every 2 mins from level 2 to level 8 for a half hour a day?

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Itasca, IL
    Posts
    1,368

    Default

    are you looking to just get in shape or get cardiovascularly fit for something particular?

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    2,997

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by joeyP View Post
    are you looking to just get in shape or get cardiovascularly fit for something particular?
    Already in decent shape, I just want to increase my cardiovascular fitness all around without losing too much weight.

    Just to give you a an idea of the type of athlete I am I've always done well in Sprints but shit in Long Distance running.

    I just want to be able to add stamina and cardiovascular fitness to my repertoire not to mention it's good for your heart.
    Last edited by b1uef1ow; 10-15-2009 at 01:37 PM.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    2,997

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CrossFitter View Post
    Running 2-3 hours isn't going to increase your stamina/ endurance, just prove that you have it. For example, if I drive a car at 120 mph I am NOT increasing it's mph, I am simply displaying what the car is already capable of. However, if I want to increase the mph and sustain that over a period of time (1/4 mile, Indy 500, whatever my race may be) I would have to ADD MUSCLE to the engine. Likewise, for a human you would have to make them stronger and increase their lung capacity (not even getting to what actually fuels the body- nutrition).

    The training you are talking about is only focusing on the oxidative metobolic pathway. (anything outside of 3 mins). However you are neglecting the phosphagen (anything under 10 seconds) and glycolytic (usually lasts between 20 sec- not yet 3 min). The phosphagen is the highest energy source, then next is glycolytic and the lowest is going to be the oxidative- that you are talking about.

    High intensity workouts are better methods for increasing lung capacity. Building muscles also helps because you are increasing the work load in which you body can move. However, long slow runs do nothing but measure current progress and tear down the body.
    Sounds good to me. I'll give it a try.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •