+ Reply to Thread

Thread: how long for chuck?

Default how long for chuck?

how long before chuck comes out of retirement and lays
    the beatdown once again? i give him the most 2 years.
    any thoughts?

never ever ever ever again would be my guess

I think it's up in the air.

I think it comes down to the question "Does Chuck have any interest in continuing fighting if he can't hold the UFC LHW belt?"

If he wants to fight guys who aren't top 10 fighters, he can still have success...but I don't know that it would make him feel like he's compromising, or like he's no longer relevant.

If he has a need to fight towards any championship belt, I think he could still see some success outside of the UFC, but I don't know that he'd settle for that.

I think it also comes down to risk: he has more to lose than he stands to gain by fighting at this point.

rh

Quote Originally Posted by rivethead View Post

I think it also comes down to risk: he has more to lose than he stands to gain by fighting at this point.

rh
    Agreed. Ultimately, Chuck has nothing to prove anymore. The guy fought and beat some of the greatest fighters in the world. He was a LHW champion of the UFC. Had an impressive (T)KO win streak. The guy has done all he really needs to do.

Right now, fighting more isn't going to improve his stock, even if he does win a few more. He's a legend. I'm sure it hurts to go out on back to back (T)KO losses, and I'm sure dropping 4 of his last 5 in the last 2 years hurts, but he has no reason to do it anymore.

BUT! That is his choice, not Dana White's...

idk if theres any truth to it, but i heard a rumor that he may come back as a hw ala randy couture. Just havta wait and see though. I hope he dosent fight anymore no need to trash his legacy he had a great career but, hes 40 now and its time to hang em up.

I like chuck. I honestly hope he just stays gone. he's already slurring, and won't be coherent forever as it is. He's been KO'd so many times in the last 2 years, it's just like any injury. once you've hurt a knee, it's easier to hurt it the second time, and easier yet the third. I think being knocked out works the same way, and even if he dropped another class, he's still going to get clocked.

he's CLEARLY suffering from starting the stages of being punch drunk, unless he wants to turn out like all those boxers you can't understand, he needs just retire. his legacy is set, and just as exampled in the last 5 fights, his stock isn't going up, it's dropping, VERY fast.

Know when to stop Chuck.

YouTube - TRIBUTE TO CHUCK THE ICEMAN LIDDELL

watching this hl....liddell doesnt have to prove anything, he should retire and live the good life.

I have a feeling Chuck would just become another Keith Jardine. At his age though lets say 2 years from now I dont see him being able to keep up with this new breed. Im hoping he doesnt follow the path of Shamrock.

Maybe its in his best interest that he stay retired.

Quote Originally Posted by rivethead View Post
    I think it's up in the air.

I think it comes down to the question "Does Chuck have any interest in continuing fighting if he can't hold the UFC LHW belt?"

If he wants to fight guys who aren't top 10 fighters, he can still have success...but I don't know that it would make him feel like he's compromising, or like he's no longer relevant.

If he has a need to fight towards any championship belt, I think he could still see some success outside of the UFC, but I don't know that he'd settle for that.

rh

Quote Originally Posted by Ramma View Post
    Agreed. Ultimately, Chuck has nothing to prove anymore. The guy fought and beat some of the greatest fighters in the world. He was a LHW champion of the UFC. Had an impressive (T)KO win streak. The guy has done all he really needs to do.

Right now, fighting more isn't going to improve his stock, even if he does win a few more. He's a legend. I'm sure it hurts to go out on back to back (T)KO losses, and I'm sure dropping 4 of his last 5 in the last 2 years hurts, but he has no reason to do it anymore.

BUT! That is his choice, not Dana White's...
    I agree with your whole post. I would love to see Chuck continue in the sport fighting and what not but not like this. IMO the one very important thing that every great counter striker has that Chuck has seemingly lost is their reflex's. I'm no doctor but I just do not think he will be able to get it back. I think it is time he retires but like you said it is hs choice not Dana's.

Oh yeah hello everyone I am new to the forums (Posting) but not to the website or MMA. Just wanted to say hello.

^^^Don't Let This Be YOU^^^
    Chuck "The Iceman" Liddell LHW GOAT
    PS3 - Icerod

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information