Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Andrei Arlovski vs. Brett Rogers Added to 'Strikeforce: Lawler vs. Shields'

HammerFist Guest

Default Andrei Arlovski vs. Brett Rogers Added to 'Strikeforce: Lawler vs. Shields'

Andrei Arlovski vs. Brett Rogers Added to 'Strikeforce: Lawler vs. Shields' (!)

From a new press release sent out by Strikeforce:

ST. LOUIS (May 19, 2009) - SHOWTIME announcer Jimmy Lennon Jr., announced today that top-10 ranked heavyweight and former UFC champion Andrei Arlovski will face unbeaten heavyweight sensation Brett "The Grim" Rogers on Saturday, June 6 at the Scottrade Center in St. Louis and LIVE on SHOWTIME. The announcement was made at a kick-off press conference for STRIKEFORCE: Lawler vs. Shields at the Atrium at Scottrade Center. The heavyweight showdown will precede the main event fight between two of the most highly regarded fighters in the world, "Ruthless" Robbie Lawler and Jake Shields.

The Fight Network (via FiveOunces) passes along these additional details:
    “The Pitbull,” who will be making his first appearance for the California-based Strikeforce promotion, was initially rumored to make his professional boxing debut in the aftermath of the loss to Emelianenko. But Arlovski is now set to return to his mixed martial arts roots against the less experienced Rogers. The winner of this fight will likely go on to challenge heavyweight kingpin [Alistair] Overeem for the title later this year.
    The above report also mentioned that Rogers was originally supposed to take on Overeem at the event, but the Demolition Man had to pull out due to a hand injury. Crazy. On paper, Arlovski takes this one, obviously — but then again, Rogers's fists are granite, and Arlovski's chin is silly putty. We can't wait to see what happens.

The addition of Arlovski/Rogers means that Strikeforce's June 6th lineup is stacked as fuck. Here's the confirmed main card that we'll be seeing on Showtime:

182 lbs.: Robbie Lawler (16-4) vs. Jake Shields (22-4-1)
    HW: Andrei Arlovski (15-6) vs. Brett Rogers (9-0)
    180 lbs.: Nick Diaz (19-7) vs. Scott Smith (16-5)
    WW: Phil Baroni (13-10) vs. Joe Riggs (29-10)
    LHW: Kevin Randleman (17-12) vs. Mike Whitehead (23-7)
    F@*K This is gonna be an awesome card, lots of decent match ups with the potential for a couple of upsets, cant wait.

Wow that was certainly a holy shit. I thought AA was giving up MMA and going into boxing.

AA in under 2 minutes!
    ROCK...CHALK...JAYHAWK

Hell yes! 2 guys I really want to see more of.
    Sweet!
    I think this also shows a little cluster f*&^ with Afflictions seemingly "stacked" HW division.
    Once you redeem your "vs Fedor" ticket, they can't get you another good match because everyone else is in line holding their "One free shot at Fedor" ticket.
    Last edited by matmoeb1; 05-20-2009 at 01:17 AM.

5. Default

AA will finish Brett with in round 1.
    There are many paths to freedom, not all are peaceful

"Silly putty," haha. That's a little harsh.

Great card. I've been out of the loop for a while, what the hell happened between Feijao and Babalu? Or is that on the next card...Bummer.

Does this dispell the rumor that Overeem ducked out of the fight because he did not deem Rogers worthy? Cuz they coulda went ahead and booked AA vs Alistair.

Quote Originally Posted by matmoeb1 View Post
    Does this dispell the rumor that Overeem ducked out of the fight because he did not deem Rogers worthy? Cuz they coulda went ahead and booked AA vs Alistair.
    That would of been sweet. But maybe Brett thinks AA will go back to being a chicken shit,and AA thinks he can do to Brett what he did to Cabage. Either way AA takes this handsdown. Winner faces AO?
    Quote Originally Posted by Trojan Fight Club View Post
    well now I've seen War Machine's dick. fantastic.
    Quote Originally Posted by GL Jeff View Post
    Ill go against the grain.
    Werdum via triangle
    Someone needs to cheer for those poor souls.

I think AA will smash brett within two minute.

BUT...seriously, kudos to brett, if you're that green and you're fighting AA coming off the crazy training he was doing for fedor, and you know he wants to get back in the win column, i think it really proves how game dude is, i think it shows he's down to fight anyone anytime. this will show where he actually stacks up next to some real competition.

and, if we do end up seeing AA vs Overeem, and Overeem beats him, suddenly the stock in overeem-fedor sky-rockets.

I think AA should take this but I am not sure what to make of Rogers yet, he hits hard and anything can happen in the heavyweight divison. Either way this is an awesome card

Thread Information