Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Randy Couture Picks Matt Serra over Hughes

Default Randy Couture Picks Matt Serra over Hughes

Pros Picks: Hughes vs. Serra

With Matt Serraís newly mastered striking abilities and his already phenomenal jiu-jitsu and wrestling skill sets, I think he has the potential to be very difficult for Hughes. This could be a pivotal fight for Hughes, considering [this might be] his last outing. Heís a tough, experienced fighter that you can never count out, but I believe Serra will win the fight. [There] could be some interesting fireworks along the way with their personalities, as well. It should be fun.
    Here is the rest of the "Pros Pick"

Nick Thompson: Hughes by decision.

Jeff Monson: [Itís a] tough call, but I think Hughes [wins] by close decision.

Roland Sarria: Serra by submission.

Pete Sell: Iím in Vegas with Serra now. He is looking better than Iíve seen him in years. His ground game is sick and has some new tools, so it will be a problem for Hughes.

Rory Markham: I believe Hughes is back on his game as far as strength and confidence goes. I like Serra, but Hughes is my boy, and I think he is going to be too strong on the ground-and-pound for Serra.

Marvin Eastman: Serra by submission, second round.

Guy Mezger: I will take Hughes. He outworks Serra but plays it safe, and [it could be] potentially boring.

Stav Economou: Iím really confident that Serra will win this long overdue fight, but the only thing that makes me a little unsure about Serra is his inactivity in the cage, having fought once a year for the last four years. Still, Iím predicting Matt Serra winning via TKO in the second round.

Michael Guymon: I see Hughes going back to his brutal ground-and-pound style and wearing Serra down. [Hughes wins by] ref stoppage, middle of the third.

Scott Epstein: Serra may pull off another haymaker KO, but I doubt it. Yes, Serra does have a better BJJ game than Hughes, and I canít tell whose hands are better. Hughes might have to pull out his trump card, which is to control Serra with superior wrestling and just throw rabbit punches till the bell rings. I really donít see Serra pulling off a sub on Hughes. Iím thinking Hughes. May the best Matt win.

Jonathan Goulet: I will pick for Serra. He will have his chance. I think it will be a nice fight.

Patrick Cote: Iíll go with my buddy Matt Serra. I just canít stand Matt Hughes.

Stephane Vigneault: I think Hughes [is] gonna outmuscle Serra and win a decision or a TKO in round three. I think Serra is not in the good weight class, but, anyway, I think they both [are] gonna retire soon.

Elvis Sinosic: Hughes vs. Serra is an exciting match because it is a grudge match. Both guys donít like each other and will bring that to the cage. Both have victories over GSP. Serra is the grappler; Hughes is the wrestler. Can Serra out-strike Hughes before getting taken down? Can Hughes avoid the submission when he gets the takedown? My prediction is that Serra wonít land that big punch, though it is possible. Hughes will take Serra down. Serra is a good scrambler, but Hughes has great control. Serra has the ability to sub Hughes, and I wouldnít be surprised if he did. Saying that, I think Hughes will be able to avoid the submissions. Serra is better on the top rather than off his back. Hughes will be on top. Serra hasnít subbed a top fighter in a while, and I donít think Hughes will be the next. Hughes will ground-and-pound and grind out a decision.

Thomas Denny: I am not really exited for the fight. I will go with Serra [by] sub.

Ben Saunders: Serra by Tiger Uppercut, round two.

Robin Black: Matt Serra seems like a funny Italian guy, and Matt Hughes seems kinda crusty. Iím gonna go with the pudgy Italian guy. Maybe heíll submit Mr. Crusty. I do know this is going to be an exciting fight -- canít wait.

Pros that picked Hughes: 8
    Pros that picked Serra: 10

yeah nice post, i was suprised more pros picked serra over hughes,

hughes wins tko 2nd
    Last edited by mcptfc2007; 05-20-2009 at 05:14 PM.
    Fav fighters
    HW fedor, randy, AA, nog, brock, junior dos santos
    LHW chuck, rampage, wandy, babalu, forest, shogun,
    MW silva, bisping, franklin, hendo, maia
    ww GSP, hughes, davis, alves,

Quote Originally Posted by mcptfc2007 View Post
    yeah nice post, i was suprised more pros picked hughes over serra,

hughes wins tko 2nd

you mean serra over hughes?

yeah me too. i hope hughes can pull it out. i can't stand serra.

Any talk of Serra subbing Matt is crazy talk. Hughes rolled with Royce on the ground and not only did not get subbed, but he dominated him and almost subbed him. I have a hard time believing that Serra's BJJ is better than, or even as good as Gracie's.

I'll take Hughes by gnp round 2
    Fav fighters: Lyoto, Amir, GSP, Lesnar, King Mo

I'm still calling one of them tearing a quad on the way to the octagon.

Quote Originally Posted by bigsemi View Post
    Any talk of Serra subbing Matt is crazy talk. Hughes rolled with Royce on the ground and not only did not get subbed, but he dominated him and almost subbed him. I have a hard time believing that Serra's BJJ is better than, or even as good as Gracie's.

Dude, any wrestler with Hughes' physical tools and a decent knowledge of BJJ could avoid getting subbed by Royce. The man helped revolutionize combat sports, but he's not been competitively relevant in years.

Is Serra's pure jits better than Royce's? I highly doubt it. But Serra is as strong as a fucking bull, on top of his grappling cred, and has the power to put anyone to sleep, especially someone as inept on the feet as Hughes is.
    3-4 in sig bets. FUCK me.

Hughes had trouble striking with GSP and BJ Penn, not exactly something to be ashamed of. I think Hughes is the more well-rounded fighter, both on the ground and on the feet, while Serra has alot more power in his hands. I have a feeling Serra will win the upset, but looking at it from a logical standpoint, I think Elvis Sinosic broke it down perfectly on why this should be Hughes' fight.

Couture was also confident that he's going to beat Lesnar, not to take anything away from the Natural, but I don't care for his or any other fighter's opinions about calling fights...

Quote Originally Posted by bigsemi View Post

I think what you aren't saying is that he fought an old man that was way undersized for the fight. Hughes was in his prime. The difference this time around is that Serra is much bigger than Gracie, and he's not signing into the retirement home just yet. Serra's BJJ probably isn't Royce Gracie level; but, He's the first American blackbelt under Rickson, I'm pretty sure. I want Matt Serra to win this fight; but, I think it'll go the other way. My heart says Serra by T/Ko rd. 2; but, my mind says Hughes by Decision.

Quote Originally Posted by TheKidInside View Post
    Couture was also confident that he's going to beat Lesnar, not to take anything away from the Natural, but I don't care for his or any other fighter's opinions about calling fights...
    Randy was confident about beating Lesnar because it was HIS fight; you'd be confident too, or at least say that you were. And Randy gave Lesnar some serious problems, despite being outweighed by a good 50 pounds.

And Randy's picks have usually proven to be correct. He picked Gonzaga over CC and Forrest over Shogun, as well as others. If any fighter's opinion is to be taken seriously, it's his.
    3-4 in sig bets. FUCK me.

Thread Information