Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Randy Couture Picks Matt Serra over Hughes

I was just wondering how it was decided that Serra has now "mastered his striking". Where was that on display? Cuz I haven't really seen him throw too many punches since 2007.

Randy's usually pretty good at the picks.I'm pulling for Serra on personality only so it's encouraging to see The Natural's opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by jlruthven84 View Post
    Randy was confident about beating Lesnar because it was HIS fight; you'd be confident too, or at least say that you were. And Randy gave Lesnar some serious problems, despite being outweighed by a good 50 pounds.

And Randy's picks have usually proven to be correct. He picked Gonzaga over CC and Forrest over Shogun, as well as others. If any fighter's opinion is to be taken seriously, it's his.
    it was a joke, good sir. Randy picked Forrest over Shogun for different reasons than were displayed in the fight, and it was Shogun's lack of conditioning and layoff that did him in, that was evident.

Randy did an AMAZING job against Brock, i 100 percent agree, seeing him lose was like watching a bear eat a smaller bear, maybe a cute little panda...i'm not sure where i'm going with this analogy.
    Last edited by TheKidInside; 05-20-2009 at 08:20 PM. Reason: than, not then*

This is easy if Serra can stuff Hughes takedowns then he will win.
    I am thinking he will. i'll go with Serra.

Quote Originally Posted by jlruthven84 View Post
    Dude, any wrestler with Hughes' physical tools and a decent knowledge of BJJ could avoid getting subbed by Royce. The man helped revolutionize combat sports, but he's not been competitively relevant in years.

Is Serra's pure jits better than Royce's? I highly doubt it. But Serra is as strong as a fucking bull, on top of his grappling cred, and has the power to put anyone to sleep, especially someone as inept on the feet as Hughes is.

I was trying to address the fact that several pro's said Serra would sub Hughes because his BJJ was not as good. You confirmed that for me.

As for Serra being strong as a bull, I'll take Hughes in the over all power department.

As far as Serra's stand up skills go, he has TKO'd 1 person, and we all saw how well his stand up worked in the 2nd fight, and he had no anwser for GSP on the ground.

The GSP fluke was his only significant win, any other big name fighter he has fought he has lost to.

Serra is a 155 fighting at 170, and at 155 he is probably 5th in the UFC at best, after Penn, Sherk, Diego and Ken Flo. The first 3 I have no doubt would smash Serra, and Ken Flo would probably get a UD.

I know Serra like any fighter has a puncher's chance, but I don't think Hughes will stand, he'll take him down and ground him out.

Honestly, if Serra had not beaten GSP he would probably not even be in the UFC anymore.
    Fav fighters: Lyoto, Amir, GSP, Lesnar, King Mo

Hughes is either going to win by take-downs all day or submisson by armbar. For Serra I can see him winning by TKO or some sort of sub. I sorta want Serra to win jus cuz, but whoever wins...eh.

HammerFist Guest

Hughes all day baby, Hughes does not want to lose to Serra by any means, i see him taking Serra down with a crazy slam or he will dish the punishment out on the ground and control him comfortably.

Quote Originally Posted by mcptfc2007 View Post
    yeah nice post, i was suprised more pros picked serra over hughes,

hughes wins tko 2nd
    The pros seem to know something others don't. I predict Hughes by ref stoppage. Lets see how it goes.

Back home in Knoxville, TN, but repping FL and NJ still to this day!

Randy knows whats up
    GSP is the man! He kicked Matt Hughes's ass, then told him to keep his head up! LMAO!!!

REPPIN SHEER UNADULTERATED IGNORANCE!!!

HOLLA!!!!

im going with elvis sinosic on this one

Thread Information