+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Good news, Phil Baroni is still acting totally sweet

1. Default Good news, Phil Baroni is still acting totally sweet

Good News, Phil Baroni Is Still Acting Totally Sweet

MMA needs characters just as much as it needs the stoic types who just bore everyone by doing nothing but winning fights and keeping their mouth shut. But God bless Phil Baroni, who will make sure there is never a dull moment when he shows up to your party. Looking over the quotes from yesterday’s Strikeforce presser it’s enough to make you wonder whether they didn’t open with a standup routine from Baroni. Just check out some of the gems he dropped on the mic in St. Louis yesterday.

On fighting styles and management choices:

"I asked my agent - I said 'hey get me a southpaw to fight.' My agent's pretty stupid. He said 'What's that? He didn't know what a southpaw was. So, I said "It's a (expletive) left-handed fighter. I'm real good at fighting lefties. Lefties are made to order for me. They eat straight right hands and I've got a pretty (expletive) big one. I'm going to put it right on his kisser."

On the usual press conference niceties:

"Never mind being in shape. I'm not thanking anybody for being here. Any promotion that has me, it's lucky for them. No one's kissing anyone's asses. I'm just ready to fight and beat the (expletive) out of him."

On Joe Riggs:

"Really, there's not much to say. Joe's 25 years old and he'll have his day. On June 6, I'm knocking him the (expletive) out. I'm going to (expletive) him up bad. I'm going to bust him up the whole (expletive) fight. It's up to him how long he wants to last. Whether he wants to last one round or he wants to last three - I'm going to (expletive) him up."

On man’s doomed struggle to stave off death:

"It's do or die for me and I ain't (expletive) ready to die. I got a lot of fighting left in me. Joe's young. I'm a man now and I think he's a boy. Someday I'll probably commentate for Joe when he's fighting for a world title. This is my time. I'm going to take care of my business and that starts with Joe and everyone else at 170 pounds with Strikeforce."

Now does someone want to explain to me why Baroni isn’t doing two shows a day at the Mandalay Bay in between training sessions? If only he could find a way to bring back the same excitement and entertainment value after the opening bell rings.
    When you're down.... you're down 4-Life

if he could just fight he'd be great

the guy's record was even. he lost as many as he won. So they fed him 3 cans to get his record up. even that didn't help.

Baroni is irrelevant in MMA and it kills him.

Winner of this fight versus Nick Diaz?

nick would absolutely destroy phil baroni. it wouldn't even be a fight.

Joe riggs is going to be too much too. And think about it. Riggs already lost to Diaz once. and of course Nick also whipped the shit out of Shamrock who already beat the shit out baroni.. the last guy Baroni beat was like 7 and 11 or something

wow that gets confusing.
    Last edited by thumper; 05-21-2009 at 05:39 AM.

Yea, I figure Baroni would get lit up by Diaz. I think it'd be a worse beating than Shamrock gave him, but I wouldn't put it past Strikeforce to make that fight happen.

And Riggs too, I wouldn't count him out as an opponent Strikeforce would pit up against Nick. They do have some bad blood there. There seemed to be enough unfinished business for Nick to take it to the damn hospital afterwards - Strikeforce could market that, I guess. And I don't think it would make that bad of a fight, either. Maybe the winner of that versus Jake Shields? We'll see.

I have a hard time with Riggs. I am a big fan of his, have been for awhile. but he keeps losing fights he should be winning. I'll always back the guy, but I sure hope after he kills baroni he steps up his game, gets some solid wins, and comes back to the UFC where he belongs.

Quote Originally Posted by thumper View Post
    nick would absolutely destroy phil baroni. it wouldn't even be a fight.

Joe riggs is going to be too much too. And think about it. Riggs already lost to Diaz once. and of course Nick also whipped the shit out of Shamrock who already beat the shit out baroni.. the last guy Baroni beat was like 7 and 11 or something

wow that gets confusing.
    ???

Riggs beat Diaz, unless you're talking about the rematch at the hospital.

no, i meant it the other way diaz lost at ufc 57. wups. see I even confused myself.

If Baroni could fight as good as he can talk he would be a champion. Im betting that one of the 2 fighters doesnt make weight or something. I really hope Riggs wins and gets his career on track. I know he has been going through some tough times and needs a good win. Riggs has all the talented in the world but just doesnt seem to be mentally tough enough. Its a shame but he still is a favorite fighter of mine.

I think it's pretty simple. Strikeforce could care less about Phil and he's too stupid to think for himself. If he wins I could see a fight being put together with Diaz... Baroni gets knocked around the ring like an empty can and is finished.

I'll give Phil credit for his heart - the guy will fight anyone any time. That doesn't make up for the fact that he'd get beat half to death by near anyone in the top 20 at 170lbs.
    Phil Baroni

"I fight because I can't sing, I can't dance, and it beats working all day. Now ask me a question that doesn't sound so fucking stupid."

Forrest Griffin

"He did exactly what I wanted him to do and he knocked me the fuck out"

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information