Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Cheick Kongo promised next title shot if he wins at UFC 99

Default Cheick Kongo promised next title shot if he wins at UFC 99

MMABay - All Your UFC/MMA News In One Place

MMABay can EXCLUSIVELY reveal that Wolfslair MMA Academy trained heavyweight, Cheick Kongo, has been promised the first shot at the winner of the UFC 100 title unification bout between Brock Lesnar and Frank Mir if he can get past Cain Velasquez at UFC 99 on June 13th.

MMABay were the first to report yesterday that Kongo would be stepping in against Velasquez for the injured Heath Herring. Now our same source in France has revealed that as a reward for taking the bout at such short notice, the UFC have given the Frenchman a chance to install himself as the official number one contender.

Following UFC 97, Kongo was straight back in training following an initial scare over a possible broken hand. MMABay confirmed late on in April that the hand was not broken after speaking with his management and that it was just an over extended thumb.

It was originally thought that given the timing of the fights as the top of the heavyweight ladder, Kongo would have a number one contender’s showdown with the heavy hitting, Shane Carwin towards the end of the summer. This idea has been scrapped and Carwin will now be matched against another opponent at some point.

As for Kongo, the incentive of finally securing a title shot will surely spur him on to be at the top of his game, despite taking the fight just three and a half weeks out. I would suggest that if the inexperienced Velasquez is not ready for war, it could be a very short night on June 13th.

Kongo folds under pressure look for a Cain Carwin "1 contenders match"

Back home in Knoxville, TN, but repping FL and NJ still to this day!

Werdum....
    GSP is the man! He kicked Matt Hughes's ass, then told him to keep his head up! LMAO!!!

REPPIN SHEER UNADULTERATED IGNORANCE!!!

HOLLA!!!!

If Kongo does manage to win against Cain he better hope Mir wins at UFC 100. Lesnar would be Kongo's worst nightmare... that can't see any way that Kongo could beat him.

Not saying he'd win, but fights between Kongo and Lesnar or Mir would be very intriguing. Personally, I don't think he's getting past Cain, though.
    3-4 in sig bets. FUCK me.

Kongo vs Lesnar would be boring imo. Brock would expose Kongos wrestling holes. Im not sure which fight it was but three or four fights back it was embarrassing watching Kongos takedown defense

the fight you are referring to i believe is carmello mammero or however his name is spelled. he just sat on top of kongo very boring

Fair enough to give him the shot after taking this fight at short notice. Respect to the UFC for rewarding him, if he wins!

CroCop: To be honest, I'm mostly scared of planes. All the rest is zero points all together. I'm always freaked out when it's taking off. And the fighting and brawling and that, forget about it...
    Question: What symptoms do you have?
    CroCop: Well I don't have any symptoms, but I have to have two stewardesses sit in my lap.

I wasn't able to see him against Marrero, but I do remember his fight against Assuerio Silva. I remember that distinctly because Joe Rogan kept reiterating how visibly inexperienced he was in the ground.

He has improved a great deal though, but IMO not enough if he were to be on the ground against a Mir or Lesnar.

He can definitely hold his own though, so good for him that he's been promised a title shot (if he beats Cain) after working up the ladder a long time.

Why the hell is Kongo getting a title shot? lol

Sorry, but I don't agree. What contender has he beaten? Who? If he beats Cain, sorry, Cain is a prospect up and comer, but he isn't a contender. Kongo needs to beat someone like Randy, Nogueira, Herring (who he lost to)... someone who is only one or two fights from a shot.

Thread Information