+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Cheick Kongo promised next title shot if he wins at UFC 99

I will believe this when I see it. How many fighters have been promissed a title shot and are still waiting? If he wins he should get a title shot by default. Randy and Nog are both coming off losses and will be fighting. Hearring is coming off a loss. The only two other guys who have wins is Carwin and De Santos. Carwin beat Gonzaga but has beaten no one else.

Kongo will beat Cain but I dont see him beating Brock. Brock would take him down and give a beatdown. Kongo might have a shot against Mir cause Frank would have to get the fight to the ground to win.

Source: UFC® : Ultimate Fighting Championship®

Because hes 24-4-1, hes on a good win streak and theres very few others in HW more deserving right now.

Thats why..

Quote Originally Posted by Ramma View Post
    Why the hell is Kongo getting a title shot? lol

Sorry, but I don't agree. What contender has he beaten? Who? If he beats Cain, sorry, Cain is a prospect up and comer, but he isn't a contender. Kongo needs to beat someone like Randy, Nogueira, Herring (who he lost to)... someone who is only one or two fights from a shot.

Back home in Knoxville, TN, but repping FL and NJ still to this day!

Quote Originally Posted by Ramma View Post
    Why the hell is Kongo getting a title shot? lol

Sorry, but I don't agree. What contender has he beaten? Who? If he beats Cain, sorry, Cain is a prospect up and comer, but he isn't a contender. Kongo needs to beat someone like Randy, Nogueira, Herring (who he lost to)... someone who is only one or two fights from a shot.

I mean, this is a prime example of whats wrong wit the UFC HW division. They only have a small few of viable contenders. You see how Brock got his title shot after only one win in the HW division. Compared to Brock's title path, Kongo looks like he went through hell to get his shot, lol.

Its just that the UFC has only a small few guys that are up in that title contention level and they almost seem like they want to control who rises up to that level.

What I'd be more worried about for Kongo is the UFC actually keeping his word. They said the same thing about Werdum after he beat GG if he could beat Dos Santos but he lost that fight and was promptly cut from the UFC roster. From #1 contender to unemployment, I don't wish that fate on ANY fighter.
    GSP is the man! He kicked Matt Hughes's ass, then told him to keep his head up! LMAO!!!

REPPIN SHEER UNADULTERATED IGNORANCE!!!

HOLLA!!!!

Something tells me Kongo is in no danger of getting cut though (if he lost). Its not like he has a consectuive loss record like Houston Alexander.

Quote Originally Posted by roaddawg View Post
    Something tells me Kongo is in no danger of getting cut though (if he lost). Its not like he has a consectuive loss record like Houston Alexander.
    absolutely no way. He wont get cut. He has a good bright future in the UFC. Every fight it looks like he is getting better and better. Only hickup was to Herring.

He did beat Crocop, and i think if he beat herring he woulda got a shot after that... anyway there is no one else so why not...

The word "promise" and the acronym "UFC" NEVER go together.

Believing Dana White(or any other top brass in the UFC) when a promise is made is akin to believing a politician when they make a guarantee.

Sorry. No sale.

I love Kongo, but feel like he still isn't ready for that big fight against Lesnar or Mir, dunno but aside from the Crocop and Herring bouts, I don't feel like we've seen him bang and get into a true test quite yet. Cains's a very young, inexperienced fighter and I'd feel better if he had to go through Carwin first.

Personally, I think winner of Lesnar/Mir may have to wait a little bit until things in the HW division are cleared up. That or Fedor.

Quote Originally Posted by TNC View Post
    I mean, this is a prime example of whats wrong wit the UFC HW division. They only have a small few of viable contenders. You see how Brock got his title shot after only one win in the HW division. Compared to Brock's title path, Kongo looks like he went through hell to get his shot, lol.

Its just that the UFC has only a small few guys that are up in that title contention level and they almost seem like they want to control who rises up to that level.

What I'd be more worried about for Kongo is the UFC actually keeping his word. They said the same thing about Werdum after he beat GG if he could beat Dos Santos but he lost that fight and was promptly cut from the UFC roster. From #1 contender to unemployment, I don't wish that fate on ANY fighter.
    The reason Werdum was cut, was after his lose to Dos Santos, his contract was re-negotiated and he wanted more money then the UFC was willing to give, so he was cut. Thats the same reason why affliction didnt pick him up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trojan Fight Club View Post
    well now I've seen War Machine's dick. fantastic.
    Quote Originally Posted by GL Jeff View Post
    Ill go against the grain.
    Werdum via triangle
    Someone needs to cheer for those poor souls.

I think Cain is going to be a huge step for him on short notice. I can see Kongo beating Cain... but it will be a hard fought battle.

Either way - Lesner or Mir would have their way with Kongo on the ground IMO. I'd like to see how Kongo tries to deal with the break neck speed of a Lesner take down.
    Phil Baroni

"I fight because I can't sing, I can't dance, and it beats working all day. Now ask me a question that doesn't sound so fucking stupid."

Forrest Griffin

"He did exactly what I wanted him to do and he knocked me the fuck out"

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information