Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Fedor Emelianenko and Josh Barnett Verbally Agree to August 1 Affliction Bout

I'm not sure if Fedor can finish Barnett but if he does, it would be TKO, I doubt that even Fedor will sub Barnett...having said that, I think Fedor will come out strong and try to discount his sloppy performance that he had against AA, so if he doesn't finish early it could possibly go to decision.

Quote Originally Posted by Ramma View Post
    I think if Fedor beats Barnett, maybe it is time to hang it up, while he's still at the top of the game. Personally, I'd rather see Fedor go on a high note, unlike guys such as Wandy and Chuck who don't appear to be doing any such thing.

The fact is, Fedor had nothing to prove 2 years ago lol. With the mauling of Sylvia, and the devastating KO of Arlovski, it was just the icing on the cake. I'd love to see Fedor retire as the best and spend time creating more stars.

Time will catch up to Fedor Emelianenko. Truth be told, it already has a little bit. Fedor does not move like he did 3 or 4 years ago.
    I don't necessarily agree with Fedor retiring after he beats Barnett. He's still fairly young and still competes and from my understanding loves to compete regularly in between mma fights so physically, he doesn't look like he's on a decline to me. In terms of retiring at the top, I think most mma fans will still see Fedor as the top fighter in mma history regardless if he starts losing now. Whether retiring while he's at the top or not doesn't really matter to me atleast. There are still some great match ups I will like to see him with future contenders against his reign at the top over the next couple of years.

Fedor/Barnett ,Mousasi/Vitor, Sylvia/Buentello, Lil Nog/Babalu are Fireworks!

For some reason my interest level in this fight has really dropped off. I don't know if it's because it's taken so long to put together, or because Josh seems generally disinterested in fighting such a close friend.

When he fought Monson it was definitely evident during the fight that he was slightly uncomfortable fighting his buddy, if he approaches this fight the same way we might end up with another boring stalemate.

That or Fedor takes advantage of him and finishes it early. I just hope Fedor still has one fight left in him afterwards, I've given up on hoping for him to surface in the UFC but maybe if he beats Barnett they can work something out with Strikeforce and put him against Overeem on CBS or some shit.

Fedor has nothing else left to prove, but this fight will be the icing on the cake. The last real threat to Fedor, and I see him winning with another impressive showing.

Psh...we all know Fedor is going to win. I mean Fedor is hella stronger, faster, and hes no slouch on the ground either. I'd rather see Arlovski vs Fedor 2. Isn't Affliction trying to bring up new fighters instead of showcasing ones that we already kno about? Big names are good, but if you really want to expand this sport, you gotta try to bring up new talented fighters imo. Oh well, I guess I should be thankful that these fights are free. So whats next for Fedor after Barnett? Maybe another grappling match for kicks?
    Last edited by UFC Fann; 05-21-2009 at 08:12 PM.

I like to think of promotions as offering us match-ups and in that respect there was some amazing fights on Affliction cards and if they do go "under" they still offered us plenty.

As far as the fight go, I don't see Barnet bringing ANYTHING new to the table and I see Fedor via TKO or submission if Josh takes it to the ground as his background would indicate.

In the words of Marv Albert....YES!

Barnett's a great fighter, but way too sloppy to beat Fedor. Think it could be a fantastic bout, but don't see it lasting too long.

Maybe they'll even spring for Overeem/Arlovski possibly, so to set up a WAMMA vs. Strikeforce title unification bout???

Yea there is much left for Fedor to prove. Chance are he will never fight for the UFC as long as Dana is president. Which is a shame because there are some interesting match ups for him in the UFC. I would love to see Brock versus Fedor.

Quote Originally Posted by pa99ortiz View Post
    Yea there is much left for Fedor to prove. Chance are he will never fight for the UFC as long as Dana is president. Which is a shame because there are some interesting match ups for him in the UFC. I would love to see Brock versus Fedor.
    Lesnar has power and wrestling.

Quote Originally Posted by jlruthven84 View Post
    If this actually happens, I see no reason to think Barnett's going to offer Fedor anything he hasn't already seen. Granted, Fedor's never had someone that big and that skilled on top of him, so if Barnett can get into top position, this may get interesting. Otherwise, Fedor by SMASH, first round.

Oh, and Doggage: Love. Your. Sig.
    I agree Barnett is the largest skilled BJJ opponent Fedor would have on top of him... I think Barnett needs to be able to take that position however.

I love Barnett be he is a slower guy who isn't always of the best condition. I don't see him being able to over power Fedor and clinching will be a problem with the shots he’d have to eat.

I see this as Fedor via strikes in round 1.
    Phil Baroni

"I fight because I can't sing, I can't dance, and it beats working all day. Now ask me a question that doesn't sound so fucking stupid."

Forrest Griffin

"He did exactly what I wanted him to do and he knocked me the fuck out"

Thread Information