Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Kongo named Herring's replacement

Default Kongo named Herring's replacement

The Ultimate Fighting Championship on Wednesday announced that Cheick Kongo has agreed to step in for the injured Heath Herring at UFC 99 to face Cain Velasquez.

The promotion on Tuesday revealed that Herring had to withdraw from the bout due to an unspecified injury.

Kongo – a teammate of Michael Bisping and Quinton Jackson at the Wolfslair Academy in England – enters the bout riding a wave of success. He has won three straight bouts since losing a bout, ironically enough, to Herring at UFC 82 more than a year ago.

Velasquez has quickly amassed an undefeated record of 5-0, finishing all five of his opponents – including three in the UFC – by way of TKO. Kongo, however, is the American Kickboxing Academy trained fighter's toughest bout to date.
    Source: MMAWeekly.com

Kongo has some balls to take this fight on short notice. Cain is a very dangerous fighter, his wrestling is going to be hard for Kongo to handle, and Kongo has a lot to lose. He is almost certainly one fight away from a title shot. Even though I don't like him I'll be rooting for him. It would be nice to heavy weight, that is truly deserving, get a title shot. It seems like those have been few and far between.

its already been posted in the heath herring thread, but i think this will be a good match up and makes for a great fight
    Fav fighters
    HW fedor, randy, AA, nog, brock, junior dos santos
    LHW chuck, rampage, wandy, babalu, forest, shogun,
    MW silva, bisping, franklin, hendo, maia
    ww GSP, hughes, davis, alves,

I think this is a better fight to be honest. Unfortunately I think it's harder for Cain, but he does need to face a higher caliber fighter and this is his chance to break into the upper ranks of the HW division.

I agree Rumble, I like this fight better too

This fight makes more sense. I think Cain beats Kongo. Whenever Kongo faces a guy good on the ground, he has trouble. Cain is a great wrestler with good control and BJJ. Plus, his technique in striking is really good to set up those takedowns.

I wanted to see a good Herring fight but this makes for an awesome fight! I think Cain is young and a bit fresh but has the right tools! War Cain!

This is a hard one to call, I wanna go with Velasquez, but his chin hasn't been tested. I think i'll go with Kongo, but I won't bet on this one.

this is about the one time where an injury actually resulted in a more exciting fight(to me anyway).

I say if kongo wins, give the man his shot. If Cain wins, give him dos santos...if cain loses, give him dos santos.

Honestly, Kongo needs to win this fight. And it really is lose lose for him. Cain although hiped as the next big thing in the HW division,has yet to face anyone of high calibur. While Kongo has been trying to find the fight that would give him a title shot, this isnt it. I think the UFC offered Kongo a insentive to take this fight, and he will still be one win away from a title shot. I think the winner of this fights the winner of Nog/Randy, or Cro Cop/Al Turk.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trojan Fight Club View Post
    well now I've seen War Machine's dick. fantastic.
    Quote Originally Posted by GL Jeff View Post
    Ill go against the grain.
    Werdum via triangle
    Someone needs to cheer for those poor souls.

i might get hated on alot, but kongo has never really impressed me. but then again, im a huge cro cop fan and hated when cc got knee'd in the balls 47 times by kongo.

dont get me wrong, i'd shit my pants if i saw him coming at me. he looks like a walking muscle machine. but i feel like with someone as huge as him he should just knock people out left and right. esp with a kickboxing background.

hope cain can pull this one off.

Thread Information