+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Jay Hieron vs. Paul Daley set for Affliction III

Default Jay Hieron vs. Paul Daley set for Affliction III

Posted May 23, 2009 12:41AM By Ariel Helwani

While not yet officially announced, Affliction's third MMA event is quickly taking shape.

FanHouse has learned that a welterweight bout between Jay Hieron and Paul Daley has been signed for the organization's upcoming show on August 1. FanHouse reported earlier this week that Fedor Emelianenko and Josh Barnett have verbally agreed to headline the event.

Hieron, a veteran of the IFL and the UFC, has won his last five fights in a row, most recently scoring an impressive first round knockout of Jason High at "Affliction: Day of Reckoning" in January. Earlier this week, Hieron told MMAJunkie.com that he agreed to a bout against Nick Diaz at the upcoming Strikeforce event on June 6, but the fight never came to fruition.

Daley, once considered a rising star in the welterweight division, has struggled as of late. He's fought five times in the last seven months, and won his last two in a row, but lost high-profile bouts to Jake Shields and Nick Thompson. Against Shields at EliteXC's final show in October, Daley was over-matched on the ground and proved he was not quite ready to hang with the best at 170-pound fighters in the world.

On August 1, the British fighter has a chance to prove his doubters wrong when he faces Hieron, considered by some to be one the most underrated welterweight fighters in the world.

The promotion has yet to confirm its third event, rumored to be held at the Honda Center in Anaheim, Calif., but it now appears safe to assume that it will finally take place after months of speculation.
    Hieron vs. Daley Booked for Affliction 3 -- MMA FanHouse

Latest rumoured card:

Fedor Emelianenko vs Josh Barnett
    Gegard Mousasi vs Vitor Belfort
    Tim Sylvia vs Paul Buentello
    Jay Hieron vs. Paul Daley
    Dan Lauzon vs Chris Horodecki

Possible participants:
    L.C. Davis
    Mark Hominick
    Ben Rothwell
    Renato Sobral
    Antonio Rogerio Nogueira

I wanna see Sobral Vs. Nogueira

I would be really happy if this came out to be the final card. Looks like they may be toning down the payroll, which would be good. Not as many main event caliber fights.. but great fights that would be great to see..

I would love to see this. If this stays on the feet it will be one hell of a fight. If it goes to the ground it could be a disappointing night for Daley. I like Daley alot, he's explosive and is a very exciting fighter, with good wrestling too. Heiron is a little more technical though. Should be a good one.

Looking forward to finally seeing Dan Lauzon and Chris Horodecki too.

I can't see how Gegard plans on fighting in the big man tourny, then turn around and get perpared for Vitor at MW within a few months. Gegard is crazy lol.

Yeah, that's a gnarly schedule for Gegard, he's a beast though. Vitor vs. Gegard should be a great test for both competitors. Heiron vs. Daley could definitely be a highlight reel fight if it stays on the feet, but if it hits the ground I see Daley being in trouble.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information