Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Houston Alexander's hand is fully healed, working with Jeremy Horn on his ground game

1. Default Houston Alexander's hand is fully healed, working with Jeremy Horn on his ground game

With broken hand healed, Houston Alexander working ground game for fall UFC return | MMAjunkie.com

Now recovered from a broken hand that forced him out of a scheduled UFC 98 fight with Andre Gusmao, UFC light heavyweight Houston Alexander is planning a late summer or early fall return to the octagon.

Alexander (8-4 MMA, 2-3 UFC), who's in a must-win situation after three consecutive UFC losses, never quit training after the injury.

"We spent the down time working on techniques and ran him through a six-week speed and agility program, so other than not hitting anything and not getting to fight, we never missed a beat training wise," Alexander's trainer, Mick Doyle, told MMAjunkie.com (UFC blog for UFC news, UFC rumors, fighter interviews and event previews/recaps | MMAjunkie.com).

After bursting on the UFC scene with swift and brutal knockouts of Keith Jardine and Alessio Sakara, Alexander has since suffered first-round losses to Thiago Silva (TKO), James Irvin (KO) and Eric Schafer (submission). Prior to the losing skid, Alexander went 8-0 (with one no-contest) in a nine-fight span.

Continually criticized for his lackluster ground game, Alexander had been training with 100-fight veteran Jeremy Horn for his UFC 98 fight.

"That is going to continue," Doyle said. "We will schedule some more trips out there (to work with Horn) and back to Chicago and Denver for some more ground training now that his hand looks in the clear."

Alexander has been one of the UFC's more marketable stars. The Nebraska-based fighter has garnered a big Midwest following, and news that he donated a kidney to his oldest daughter (one of six kids he raises as a single parent) garnered a lot of mainstream press in recent years.

However, with the losing skid, he desperately needs a win to remain in the UFC.

"He just wants to get back in there and win again, so he is very committed to improving and being able to go wherever the fight goes," Doyle said.

No specific return date or opponent has been determined for Alexander's return.
    There are many paths to freedom....not all are peaceful.

Thank god!!!!!! Hopefully horn can do some wonders for us as I really like Houston's stand-up!

Last edited by Piz; 06-24-2009 at 06:27 PM.

Seems he's doing what Rich Franklin use to do. Spreading his training out like that might not help him as much as one, solid, base camp could. Some make it work though, so maybe it'll work out. Miles ahead of not training with Horn, that's for sure.

I know Horn is a pioneer in MMA with a wealth of knowledge and all but he hasnt exactly been looking good himself in his last couple of fights in the Octagon. I keep cheering him on to win and he keeps letting me down.

Anyways atleast Houston is working on his ground game. I honestly thought Thiago showed him that he needed to work on that awhile back.

rd

Learning the ground game is alot harder then people make it sound. Most people can train BJJ their whole lives and never be good enough to compete in the top levels of MMA. Theres only so much you can pick up in a few years.

Quote Originally Posted by roaddawg View Post
    I know Horn is a pioneer in MMA with a wealth of knowledge and all but he hasnt exactly been looking good himself in his last couple of fights in the Octagon. I keep cheering him on to win and he keeps letting me down.

Anyways atleast Houston is working on his ground game. I honestly thought Thiago showed him that he needed to work on that awhile back.

rd
    That's because Horn has been in more fights than some people's trips to the bathroom.

You would look like **** too if you've fought over a hundred times against the best of the best.

Quote Originally Posted by goodtimes View Post
    Learning the ground game is alot harder then people make it sound. Most people can train BJJ their whole lives and never be good enough to compete in the top levels of MMA. Theres only so much you can pick up in a few years.
    Thats no excuse for his performance on the ground. Same issue as Kongo.

rd

Houston Alexander with a ground game.....I wouldn't want to fight that guy.
    Fedor Emelianenko is the Greatest P4P MMA fighter to ever walk the earth, hands down.

LOL I want to see him fight Rashad Evans.

rd

Quote Originally Posted by roaddawg View Post
    Thats no excuse for his performance on the ground. Same issue as Kongo.

rd
    You're comparing Jeremy Horn's performance on the ground to Cheick Kongo's?

Are you drunk?

Horn is old, physically, and way past his "hey-day" which is arguable he had one in the first place.

He is a ground MASTER and has shown it on numerous occassions.

Kongo is in his prime, has NEVER shown a ground game, nor will he EVER show a ground game.

I fail to see how they relate to one another.

Thread Information