Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Frank Lester, Mike Ciesnolevicz, Tim Boetsch Released From the UFC

The difference of an 'at will' employment is that you can also leave whenever you want. Ask Randy how that works. IMO they really take advantage of the fact that they are the big game in town and if you want to fight for them you have to sign away everything. I mean there are other ways to protect themselves. They could have more consecutive loss clauses so a fighter knows exactly when he could be cut, or just have the pay reduced a bunch based on performance etc., but no, they'll cut you for not signing your likeness in a video game away.

The point of a contract is that it protects both parties, but when you either sign what's there or don't get a chance to play in the NFL(analogy) , what are you going to do? Ultimately, they need something like a fighters union, and I hate unions in general. It would just bring some consistency to a very one-sided arrangement.

Quote Originally Posted by noahm View Post
    The difference of an 'at will' employment is that you can also leave whenever you want. Ask Randy how that works. IMO they really take advantage of the fact that they are the big game in town and if you want to fight for them you have to sign away everything. I mean there are other ways to protect themselves. They could have more consecutive loss clauses so a fighter knows exactly when he could be cut, or just have the pay reduced a bunch based on performance etc., but no, they'll cut you for not signing your likeness in a video game away.

The point of a contract is that it protects both parties, but when you either sign what's there or don't get a chance to play in the NFL(analogy) , what are you going to do? Ultimately, they need something like a fighters union, and I hate unions in general. It would just bring some consistency to a very one-sided arrangement.
    I get what your saying but even an at will employee can get screwed if you don't give the company two weeks notice when leaving have fun not getting a bad reference and it may be difficult if they do a noncompete claus when you leave i wassn't saying it was the same just using it as an analogy.
    UFC contracts are completely one sided, but what fighter that hasn't made a name for himself isn't gonna jump at whatever contract the ufc throws at them. It's a flawed system for sure but nothing is gonna change that anytime soon. Signing bonuses would be a step in the right direction ala the NFL so at least some money is gauranteed regardless of when they get cut. Also why haven't the agents for these fighters stepped up to get more protection for the fighters?
    Fav Fighters: Penn, Wand, Fedor, Genki, Shields, Rashad, Pulver, Diaz bros, Melendez.

Thread Information