Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ricardo Arona set to make return to MMA on September 12

Default Ricardo Arona set to make return to MMA on September 12

Ricardo Arona set to make return to MMA on September 12 : Five Ounces of Pain

Long considered to be one of the top light heavyweight mixed martial artists in the world prior to a recent extended layoff, Ricard Arona is expecting to return to action in his native country of Brazil.

It appears as though Arona will making his return to MMA at an event called Bitetti Combat IV that is set to take place on September 12 in Rio De Janeiro, Brazil, although there is no word on an opponent for him at the time of this writing.

“Everything is right, I’m just waiting for Amaury Bitetti to give me the details, present the opponent,” Arona was quoted as saying in a recent interview with the Brazilian website Tatame.com. “I’m waiting for the event, which has everything to be a great event at Rio de Janeiro.”

Surprisingly, Arona has never fought a single fight in his home country, or anywhere else that wasn’t Japan for that matter. Every single one of his prior professional bouts have taken place in the land of the rising sun, competing primarily for the PRIDE banner before the companies eventual demise.

“I’m very exciting to fight for our public for the first time, in my case, and it is a great honor to represent the country in Brazil, which is something I didn’t do yet,” said Arona.

“For me, it’s a great opportunity to show that I’m back well, conditioned, as I always did great fights. Be able to return and get my place of duty, which is among the best in the world, or in the UFC or fighting at the Dream, in Japan, or the Affliction. Finally, be at the top events of the world.”

Arona was possibly the best grappler at LHW, I wonder how he'll look in his comeback. Unfortunately the only thing he is really remembered for is getting powerbombed by Rampage, but he was winning the fight and almost KO'd Rampage before that happened.

I can't wait till i can see this guy fight again none of my friends know who he is other than the guy who got power bombed by page. He has fought with the best dream (ugh i mean pride) had to offer and beat quite a few top notch fighters hendo, wand, sakuraba,and horn twice to name a few. I'm excited to hear he's fighting again i just wish it was something i could see live in a larger org but hey its a step in the right direction
    Last edited by beardown98; 06-26-2009 at 11:08 PM.
    Fav Fighters: Penn, Wand, Fedor, Genki, Shields, Rashad, Pulver, Diaz bros, Melendez.

Quote Originally Posted by goodtimes View Post
    Arona was possibly the best grappler at LHW, I wonder how he'll look in his comeback. Unfortunately the only thing he is really remembered for is getting powerbombed by Rampage, but he was winning the fight and almost KO'd Rampage before that happened.
    thats not the only thing he is remembered for...
    he completely destroyed Sakuraba and Wanderlei on their first fight! i remember that shit like yesterday
    -SIGNATURE REMOVED FOR EXCEEDING SIZE LIMIT-

Note to Willpunisher: You have lost signature privileges until November 1, 2010. You may remove this message, but may not add anything to your signature until November 1.

Note to Asshole Mods: Stop being assholes and teasing me. If you going to ban me because you guys are fucking dicks than just do it already. Fucking bitches.

Quote Originally Posted by goodtimes View Post
    Almost?

There was no question about it, Rampage was out...it was a horrible fucking officiating job.

rh

Quote Originally Posted by rivethead View Post
    Almost?

There was no question about it, Rampage was out...it was a horrible fucking officiating job.

rh
    Meh. Arona shouldn't have laid there just pointing at Rampage. If the referee screws up and doesn't stop the fight, it is the fighters job to keep going.

I give you Alverez vs. Kawajiri as an example among many. I blame Arona for expecting the ref to stop it, rather than rolling Rampage over and finishing the fight.
    "If this is going to be a Christian nation that doesn't help the poor, either we've got to pretend that Jesus was just as selfish as we are, or we've got to acknowledge that he commanded us to love the poor and serve the needy without condition and then admit that we just don't want to do it."

~ Stephen Colbert

I'm absolutely not saying Arona shouldn't have finished the fight...I'm saying Rampage was knocked out, without question.

But I'll point out that a lot of the same guys who will criticize Arona for not finishing a fighter who was out will also criticize CroCop for finishing Al Turk after the accidental eye poke.

It was shit officiating in both circumstances.

rh

About f'n time.

This is the man that dominated Fedor and Wandy, can't wait to see him back in action.
    Dude, I’m a wrestler. I’m the best wrestler in MMA. Wrestling IS, was and always has been the most dominate form of mix martial art on the planet. That’s all there is to it. We all know it, some people want to fight it, some people want doubt it but wresters rule the MMA world. -
    Ben Askren

Quote Originally Posted by Masscore View Post
    About f'n time.

This is the man that dominated Fedor and Wandy, can't wait to see him back in action.
    after hearing that i watched fedor vs arona. i dont get how fedor got that decision? he went for 4 guillotines and a leglock the enitire fight. arona went for rear naked choke, arm/head triangle, forearm choke, leglock, kimura,. took fedor down almost at will, had mount numorous times.

Quote Originally Posted by Masscore View Post
    About f'n time.

You should go back and rewatch the fight, close fight yes but did Arona dominate, no. Whenever he got the mount position he was either reversed or stood up cuz he wasn't doing anything. Fedor did stuff a lot of his takedowns and when he did land on top he was in a pretty tight guillotine everytime and when he managed to get out, fight would get stood up cuz he wasn't doing much. Even for the brief time they were on the feet, fedor landed the better strikes...I could understand how you might think Arona won the fight but he definitely did not dominate, I personally thought fedor won that fight

Thread Information