Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jake Shields, Roger Gracie latest additions to Aug. 15th Strikeforce card

Default Jake Shields, Roger Gracie latest additions to Aug. 15th Strikeforce card

News of Gracie's imminent Strikeforce debut from GracieMag:

Roger fights August 15
    Gracie to make Strikeforce debut

Not having stepped in the ring since last May, when he submitted Yuki Kondo at Sengoku and brought his record to two wins in two appearances, in MMA, Roger Gracie will be one of the attractions August 15 at Strikeforce. The bout should be officially announced by the organizers next week. For the time being no opponent has been named for the black belt's debut on American soil.

Until then Roger is training while basking in the glory of having won his second absolute black belt title at the Jiu-Jitsu World Championship, which you can find complete coverage of in GRACIEMAG 148, which will start to be shipped next week. Click here to pre-order your issue.

The August 15 installment of Strikeforce will feature the female bout of Cris Cyborg against Gina Carano as a main event.

Shields said on the MMA Fix show that he was probably fighting at middleweight on the card, and one site says his opponent will be Matt Lindland:

ATO has learned that Jake Shields is in talks to face Matt Lindland on August 15th at the next Strikeforce show. It has been rumored that Shields would take his next fight at 185 after fighting Robbie Lawler at 182.

The latest card looks like this:

Strikeforce: Carano vs. Cyborg on SHOWTIME
    August 15th, HP Pavilion, San Jose, California

Women's 145lbs Championship Fight: Gina Carano vs. Cris "Cyborg" Santos
    Men's 155lbs Championship Fight: Josh Thomson vs. Gilbert Melendez
    Men's 265lbs Championship Fight: Alistair Overeem vs. Brett Rogers
    Men's 185lbs Fight: Jake Shields vs. Matt Lindland
    Men's 265lbs Fight: Roger Gracie vs. TBA
    Women's 145lbs Fight: Erin Toughill vs. TBA

This card is looking good IMO. Strikeforce is doing this right. Need to try and get Nick Diaz in there somewhere. That'd be nice.

This card looks amazing so far. I just want to see Rogers/Overeem throwdown because there is a for sure KO coming. Carano also by R3 TKO.

^^^Don't Let This Be YOU^^^
    Chuck "The Iceman" Liddell LHW GOAT
    PS3 - Icerod

looks promising.

Quote Originally Posted by foutch550 View Post
    This card is looking good IMO. Strikeforce is doing this right. Need to try and get Nick Diaz in there somewhere. That'd be nice.
    Diaz vs. Riggs was tossed around for this card, though they could also make that the main event of the next Showtime card with a 170lb title on the line

WAR ROGERS! "The Grim" FTW! KO Ovaries!

why the fuck is jake shields fighting matt lindland? is jake seriously considering staying at 185? anyone know what weight nick diaz wants to fight at? i'm hearing all this shit about people wanting diaz & shields to fight cung le when both diaz and shields arent even natural middleweights. maybe in hindsight, it was a bad idea to match up diaz w/ two mw contenders in shamrock and smith and worse idea to book shields and lawler. now strikeforce literally has no natural 185 contenders (in addition to a VERY inactive 185 champ).

i dont like shields at mw. i think hes too small, but i guess his wins over guys like lawler and okami can dispute that. apparently the only other option is for him to fight top mw contenders, but i really think they could have found someone better than lindland. if lindland wins, where does jake go? not just in strikeforce, but in the ww rankings? would that position lindland for a potential fight w/ cung le?

based off the last major strikeforce card, the obvious fight to declare a clear cut #1 contender (or even interim champ) is shields/diaz, but thats highly unlikely for obvious reasons. personally, i'd like to see a diaz/lawler rematch for the hell of it, but that also seems unlikely w/ robbie coming off a loss. overall, strikeforce looks pretty unorganized in terms of weight classes & clear contenders. but as long as they're pumping out good cards like they have been, i guess i cant complain...wait, yes i can.

edit: WAR MELENDEZ!!!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by carbondioxide830; 06-28-2009 at 03:17 AM.

Neat.

Quote Originally Posted by smoogy View Post
    Diaz vs. Riggs was tossed around for this card, though they could also make that the main event of the next Showtime card with a 170lb title on the line
    I think I remember hearing something about Diaz/Riggs. But for a title? Ugh..not sure Riggs should be considered for a title. Diaz, yes, but Im sure there are plenty of others at 170 that make more sense to fight Diaz for a belt than Riggs.

And I've said it before: f*ckin' strip Cung Le of the title and crown another at 185lbs. Its been 15 months already and he's too busy doing whatever else while FIGHTERS are FIGHTING. Yes Le beat Glamrock, but Diaz f'n DESTROYED him. Le probably wouldn't be the best 185er in Strikeforce right now anyway.

I wouldnt mind seeing Diaz vs Riggs. It would be a good fight pluss the fact that the diesel has a win over Nate.

Thread Information