Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Jean-Claude Van Damme to fight professionally in K-1

Quote Originally Posted by harlem View Post
    he's old as fuck now, he should have fought years ago.

agreed!

He would have done great about 10 years ago, not so sure now.

So Van Damme will be 49 and a half when this fight takes place. . .
    Does anyone think there should be a mid life crisis weight class at this point?
    All of these middle-aged martial artists are climbing out of the woodwork for a piece of the MMA pie.
    Also to put it into perspective, JCVD retired from competitive martial arts in 1980.

Chuck Norris at 70> JCVD at 50

Quote Originally Posted by Dioxippus View Post
    People will bash him because he'll most certainly not perform like a career fighter, but I think their beef will mainly be their self-contempt for being avid fans of his when they were 14 or something. I say good luck to him.
    That's pretty funny, but I think you're right on the money. Nobody realized, when they were 16 years old, just how bad those movies were: we loved them. Now that we know how bad they are we feel cheated and bitterness and spite are the only tools we have to work with. Very perceptive...
    "Every talent must unfold itself in fighting." --Nietzsche

Lion Heart

im surprised none of you are aware that jcvd was very active in kickboxing early in his career and most of his fights ended by 1 round ko. Im sure if mma had been as huge then as it is now he would have stuck with that as opposed to making shitty direct to bargin bin movies.

1976 European Karate Union Van Oostrum, ToonToon Van Oostrum Win, 1 round KO
    1977 Netherlands Kick Boxing Devos, MauriceMaurice Devos Win, 1 round TKO
    1978 European Karate Union Strauss, Eric BrunoEric Bruno Strauss Win, 1 round KO[27]
    1978 European Karate Union Juvillier, MichelMichel Juvillier Win, 1 round KO
    1978 European Karate Union Lang, OrlandoOrlando Lang Win, 1 round TKO
    1978 World All Style Leibman, EmileEmile Leibman Win, 1 round KO
    1978 World All Style Nollet, CyrilleCyrille Nollet Win, 1 round TKO
    1979 World All Style Robaeys, AndreAndre Robaeys Win, 1 round KO
    1979 World All Style Piniarski, JacquesJacques Piniarski Win, 1 round KO
    1979 World All Style Risberg, RolfRolf Risberg Win, 1 round KO
    1979 November World Full Contact Bergman, ShermanSherman Bergman Win, 1 round KO[25][26]
    1979 November World Full Contact Diaz, Gilberto (Gil)Gilberto (Gil) Diaz Win, 1 round TKO
    1979 November World Full Contact Teugels, PatrickPatrick Teugels Loss, 2 round decision
    1980 March European Professional Benamou, Mustapha-AhmadMustapha-Ahmad Benamou Win, 1 round KO
    1980 March European Professional Muhammad, Bekim-MoussaBekim-Moussa Muhammad Win, 1 round TKO
    1980 March European Professional Heming, Micheal J.Micheal J. Heming Win, 2 round TKO [8]
    1980 March Professional Karate Assoc. Verlugels, GeorgesGeorges Verlugels Win, 2 round KO [28]
    1980 European Professional Kovac, AndresAndres Kovac Win, 2 round KO
    1980 Forest Nationals (Brussels) Teugels, PatrickPatrick Teugels Win, 1 round TKO

if anyone from the "movie" world could come in a get a win or at least have a good fight i would think its him. as long as he can train as hard as he needs to, stays off the coke, and no one throws quicklime in his eyes.

I grew up on that goofy shitI used to pretend the post on the porch was the tree in Kickboxer.That being said,no Mr. Time Cop,No!

Quote Originally Posted by lordpyro View Post
    I did some research and JCVD appears to be a legit fighter. It seems he was the European Middleweight Karate champ and went 18-2 in Full Contact matches. All of his wins were by KO most in the first round.

This is could be a intresting bout.

Jean-Claude Van Damme - Biography
    I was waiting to see how long it would be before someone brought this up, everyone thinks JCVD is only a movie fighter. I've known for ages about his pro fights and i think his coming out of a retirement is AWESOME. let's just hope he hasn't Mercered up over the years.

Quote Originally Posted by Kfox View Post
    So Van Damme will be 49 and a half when this fight takes place. . .
    Does anyone think there should be a mid life crisis weight class at this point?
    All of these middle-aged martial artists are climbing out of the woodwork for a piece of the MMA pie.
    Also to put it into perspective, JCVD retired from competitive martial arts in 1980.

Chuck Norris at 70> JCVD at 50
    Umm...no. Even back in the day of Walker, Texas Ranger, it was obvious Chuck wasn't doing half of his own fight scenes (you can easily tell whenever his character does any sort of fancy kick or quick movement).
    And yeah, JCVD is old but Ron Van Clief was 51 when he participated in UFC 1. Maybe it is a mid-life crisis and maybe it's not. But with his pedigree of martial arts experience, who cares?

Quote Originally Posted by Otomosix View Post
    Umm...no. Even back in the day of Walker, Texas Ranger, it was obvious Chuck wasn't doing half of his own fight scenes (you can easily tell whenever his character does any sort of fancy kick or quick movement).
    And yeah, JCVD is old but Ron Van Clief was 51 when he participated in UFC 1. Maybe it is a mid-life crisis and maybe it's not. But with his pedigree of martial arts experience, who cares?
    Fight scenes?

Do some research man, Chuck Norris is SOOOOOOOOOOOO much more highly decorated in the SAME disciplines as JCVD.

Seriously your only point is fight scenes? Norris is the first black belt in WESTERN HEMISPHERE. lol at your ignorance.

Thread Information