Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jermain Taylor calls out Calzaghe and want's to retire??

Default Jermain Taylor calls out Calzaghe and want's to retire??

LAS VEGAS, United States (AFP) - Unbeaten World Boxing Council middleweight champion Jermain Taylor plans to move into the super middleweight ranks next year and is aiming for a showdown with unbeaten Briton Joe Calzaghe.

ADVERTISEMENT

The Las Vegas Review-Journal reported Sunday that Taylor wants to move up in weight class next year before planning to retire by August of 2009.

Taylor will make the last defense of his crown December 9 against Uganda's Kassim Ouma in Taylor's hometown of Little Rock, Arkansas. He told the newspaper that making weight at the 160-pound limit has become much tougher.

"It's all but impossible for me to do it now," said Taylor.

Taylor, 25-0 with one draw, is hoping for a chance to avenge his friend Jeff Lacy's loss at the hands of International Boxing Federation super middleweight champion Calzaghe, 34. The unbeaten British southpaw is 42-0 with 31 knockouts.

"Calzaghe is a fight I would love because he's supposed to be the man there and those are the guys I want," Taylor said.

Taylor, 28, said he plans to retire at age 30. His 30th birthday is August 11, 2008.

"Boxing is a job, that's all. What's the point of sticking around?" Taylor said. "To get extra, extra rich? I'm already rich, richer than I ever thought, so I don't need to be any richer. I'm going to get out and never look back."

What the hell is going on with these boxers these days? It seems to be all about the money. What the hell happend to the love of the sweet science? Every great boxer wants to retire early

WHY the fuck is everybody acting like they are gonna retire!?

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyMoore
    WHY the fuck is everybody acting like they are gonna retire!?
    I have no idea but this is bullshit. Boxing will really start to take a dive if the biggest drawing fighters start to all retire at 30. WTF!!!!!

This is insane! As young as they are, Taylor saying 3 years, Floyd saying after Oscar??!! Both in their primes and Taylor will definately be prime in '09 that's only 3 freakin' year?! I hate to say it cause i like Taylor but what the hell happened to the real warriors of this sport? Must we really just watching boxing from 147lbs and down because above that it's lacking some serious shit.

pssssssssssh all for the money.they can kiss my ass they're not true champs you have to do what b hop and roy jones did to become one of the greatest or a true champion.pbf and jt are pussies thats bullshit if you retire at age 30 in your prime.mma is doing better then boxing cause they have guys who are willing to compete and and fight their heart out each and everytime they step into the ring or octagon.mma guys retire when they are past their prime and have done everything they can to become the best alla randy couture alla ken shamrock etc.
    Last edited by icemanct; 11-20-2006 at 12:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by icemanct
    pssssssssssh all for the money.they can kiss my ass they're not true champs you have to do what b hop and roy jones did to become one of the greatest or a true champion.pbf and jt are pussies thats bullshit if you retire at age 30 in your prime.mma is doing better then boxing cause they have guys who are willing to compete and and fight their heart out each and everytime they step into the ring or octagon.mma guys retire when they are past their prime and have done everything they can to become the best alla randy couture alla ken shamrock etc.
    your basing this off of 2 boxers..
    "CB Dollaway made a bad decision and now he gets a 2nd chance to earn a victory tonight against CB Dollaway" - Mike Goldberg
    Fav MMA: Sudo, Stevenson, Shields, Kid, Werdum, Hendo, Rampage, Gomi, Sakurai, Okami, Penn, Kawajiri, Big Nogs

Fav Boxers: Sam Peter, RJJ, Pacman, Dawson, Frazier, Hatton, Winky Wright, Paul Williams, SSM, Miranda, Cotto, Linares

Quote Originally Posted by Afro Samurai
    your basing this off of 2 boxers..
    mma > boxing.nuff said

mma > boxing.nuff said
    then stay in the MMA forum

BTW, The Pacqiauo fight was the best fight on Saturday.
    "CB Dollaway made a bad decision and now he gets a 2nd chance to earn a victory tonight against CB Dollaway" - Mike Goldberg
    Fav MMA: Sudo, Stevenson, Shields, Kid, Werdum, Hendo, Rampage, Gomi, Sakurai, Okami, Penn, Kawajiri, Big Nogs

Fav Boxers: Sam Peter, RJJ, Pacman, Dawson, Frazier, Hatton, Winky Wright, Paul Williams, SSM, Miranda, Cotto, Linares

Quote Originally Posted by Afro Samurai
    then stay in the MMA forum

BTW, The Pacqiauo fight was the best fight on Saturday.
    didnt pacqiauo destry him in 3 rounds?

didnt pacqiauo destry him in 3 rounds?
    yes but it was still an awesome fight.. of course a 12 round war woulda been nice, but from round 1 to the 3rd round neither of them skipped a beat, and Paciquao destroyed him, the counter punching was nice.. and Pac was just a blaze.

Thread Information