Thread: how to gain weight.

Default how to gain weight.

I need to gain weight. I'm 128 pounds. No matter what I eat I can't gain an ounze of weight. I am totally ripped but need to put on about 15 pounds. muscle..not fat.

suggestions on what supplement I should use. not concerned about brand..just what to use. protein isolate....creatine...I need a refresher course becasue I haven't worked out or taken suppliments in years. How much have things changed?

Here is a story from Dave Date... Dave Tate is a power lifter and a big strong ripped mofo. Mind you he is around 260+ pounds and has like 12% body fat...

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Tate
    Here's a quick story.

There was a time at the Old Westside gym where I couldn't gain weight to save my fucking life.

There was this dude who trained there who could just put on weight like fucking magic. He'd go from 198 to 308 and then to 275 and back down to 198. And he was never fat. It was amazing.

I finally asked him one day how he did it.

"You mean I never told you the secret to gaining weight? Come outside and I'll fill you in."

Now remember, we're at Westside Barbell. And this guy wants to go outside to talk so no one else can hear. Think about that for a minute. What the hell is he going to tell me? This must be some serious shit if we have to go outside, I thought.

So we get outside and he starts talking.

"For breakfast you need to eat four of those breakfast sandwiches from McDonalds. I don't care which ones you get, but make sure to get four. Order four hash browns, too. Now grab two packs of mayonnaise and put them on the hash browns and then slip them into the sandwiches. Squish that shit down and eat. That's your breakfast."

At this point I'm thinking this guy is nuts. But he's completely serious.

"For lunch you're gonna eat Chinese food. Now I don't want you eating that crappy stuff. You wanna get the stuff with MSG. None of that non-MSG bullshit. I don't care what you eat but you have to sit down and eat for at least 45 minutes straight. You can't let go of the fork. Eat until your eyes swell up and become slits and you start to look like the woman behind the counter."

"For dinner you're gonna order an extra-large pizza with everything on it. Literally everything. If you don't like sardines, don't put 'em on, but anything else that you like you have to load it on there. After you pay the delivery guy, I want you to take the pie to your coffee table, open that fucker up, and grab a bottle of oil. It can be olive oil, canola oil, whatever. Anything but motor oil. And I want you to pour that shit over the pie until half of the bottle is gone. Just soak the shit out of it."

"Now before you lay into it, I want you to sit on your couch and just stare at that fucker. I want you to understand that that pizza right there is keeping you from your goals."

This guy is in a zen-like state when he's talking about this.

"Now you're on the clock," he continues. "After 20 minutes your brain is going to tell you you're full. Don't listen to that shit. You have to try and eat as much of the pizza as you can before that 20-minute mark. Double up pieces if you have to. I'm telling you now, you're going to get three or four pieces in and you're gonna want to quit. You fucking can't quit. You have to sit on that couch until every piece is done.

And if you can't finish it, don't you ever come back to me and tell me you can't gain weight. 'Cause I'm gonna tell you that you don't give a fuck about getting bigger and you don't care how much you lift!"

Did I do it? Hell yeah. Started the next day and did it for two months. Went from 260 pounds to 297 pounds. And I didn't get much fatter. One of the hardest things I've ever done in my life, though.
    Source

The general meaning there is eat... eat... eat...eat...

Here is the thing. If you want to put on quality mass you will have to eat alot of lean proteins etc... If you just want to put on size you can dirty bulk.

Overall though you will not put on weight if you do not eat. Keep a food journal and write down everything you eat. If at the end of a month you did not gain weight then you no you are not eating enough.

If you weight 128 pounds I will suggest thinking quantity of food not quality.

"Never, under any circumstances, take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same night." -Dave Barry

Quote Originally Posted by Tick View Post
    Here is a story from Dave Date... Dave Tate is a power lifter and a big strong ripped mofo. Mind you he is around 260+ pounds and has like 12% body fat...

Source

The general meaning there is eat... eat... eat...eat...

Here is the thing. If you want to put on quality mass you will have to eat alot of lean proteins etc... If you just want to put on size you can dirty bulk.

Overall though you will not put on weight if you do not eat. Keep a food journal and write down everything you eat. If at the end of a month you did not gain weight then you no you are not eating enough.

If you weight 128 pounds I will suggest thinking quantity of food not quality.
    That sounds crazy and doesn't sound healthy either.

I do understand the theory behind it though.

I'm currently on Whey Protien which I take once every day between meals because I can't afford to buy in between meals all the time.

Just make sure you're lifting heavy without injuring yourself.

These are the reps and sets I do which can apply to every excessive and have noticed some decent gains.

warmup reps (12,15) normal reps heavy set (4,4,3) then back to a light set (10)

But yeah remember to eat eat eat as well. Preferably healthy food with high calories to give you all the energy you need to lift those heavy weights.

easy way to calculate is 18 * your weight for you it's obviously (18 x 128). which would be the average amount you need to maintain your weight. Once you got your number just consume more calories.
    Last edited by b1uef1ow; 10-15-2009 at 01:46 PM.

thanks guys. I gotta eat and train. I thought there was a magic formula. I guess I would have to quit the 5 cups of coffe i drink and the smokes that go along with it. This is no joke. I smoke and drink lots of coffee.

I drink tons of coffee as well. The smoking probably wont help though.

Thread Information