Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Setting the record straight - Drinking urine does NOTHING medically to help you

1. Default Setting the record straight - Drinking urine does NOTHING medically to help you

http://www.cagepotato.com/dr-johnny-...-piss-drinking

From Dr. Johnny Benjamin's latest "Ask the Doc" column on MMA Junkie:

Dr. Benjamin: I was wondering if you would share your opinion on the supposed nutritional value of fighters drinking their own urine. Fighters such as Lyoto Machida, who claims to swill his pee every morning, is one example. I've heard it said that pee is full of nutrients that the body could not absorb on the first pass. Other then sounding like a gross thing to do with one's waste, is there any validity to this? -Mitch

Mitch, thanks for the question — I think. I can't tell you how many times that I've been asked this question. I've tried to ignore it. But I see that I cannot. So here we go. Damn.

Urine is 95 percent water, 2.5 percent urea, and a 2.5 percent mixture of minerals, salts, hormones, enzymes and non-toxic waste products.

The practice of drinking urine is certainly not new or limited to a few modern practitioners of combat sports such as world champions Lyoto Machida in MMA and Juan Manuel Marquez in boxing. China, India, the Middle East and Rome all have ancient and modern writings that discuss the willful consumption of urine.

I recently viewed an HBO "24/7" episode with Mr. Marquez sipping a steaming glass of his golden nectar in preparation for an upcoming fight with Floyd Mayweather Jr. I have the utmost respect for Marquez as a champion, but apparently the thought of a potential ass whipping will drive a man to consider a great many things.

Although the potential benefits and healing capacities of drinking urine have been encouraged for centuries by many cultures, there is no credible medical literature or studies that support these beliefs.

Urine has been consumed to combat dehydration in extreme survival situations for its 95-percent water content. Also, water is reclaimed from urine, purified and filtered for consumption on the International Space Station.

Drinking your own urine may reclaim a small bit of water, but if the body didn't want the other five percent (waste products and the like) during the first time, why would it want it the second time around?

Wouldn't it be easier (and probably considerably tastier) to just sip a tall refreshing glass of H20?

As Juan Manuel Marquez says in the clip at the top of this post, he drinks his urine because "that's where a lot of proteins and vitamins are, part of your vitamin intake, and why not drink them again instead of wasting them?" That's an interesting question, Dr. Marquez. I guess 1) because it's disgusting, and 2) because you can get the same "proteins and vitamins" from any number of other non-urine-based sources. Are we supposed to believe that hot urine contains super-nutrients that you can't find at the GNC, and the body is flushing them out of your system? No disrespect to our beloved light-heavyweight champion, but is it possible that the athletes who swear by urine-drinking just enjoy drinking pee?
    There are many paths to freedom, not all are peaceful

Fuck you Machida...I need to go throw up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trojan Fight Club View Post
    well now I've seen War Machine's dick. fantastic.
    Quote Originally Posted by GL Jeff View Post
    Ill go against the grain.
    Werdum via triangle
    Someone needs to cheer for those poor souls.

Quote Originally Posted by GL Jeff View Post
    Fuck you Machida...I need to go throw up.
    AHAHAHAHAHAHA! In the words of Mugatu (Zoolander): I feel like I'm taking crazy pills!

as a student pharmacist, this is nothing new to me. urine is metabolized waste products being excreted, anyone with internet can search that up and discover for themselves. i cant imagine what machida or anyone else is thinkin when they decide to drink it. a bit extreme
    Not only does sex sell, but stupid is a close second

Makes you wonder if they aren't just saying it to fuck with people (they being Machida as company)
    "I think everybody up here is grateful to be on FOX. They'd probably say, 'FOX, thanks.' Everybody but me. I would say, 'FOX, you're welcome. You've been telling everybody for years you've got the American Idol, and now you finally do.'" Chael Sonnen

if its working for the champs than why not?
    -SIGNATURE REMOVED FOR EXCEEDING SIZE LIMIT-

Note to Willpunisher: You have lost signature privileges until November 1, 2010. You may remove this message, but may not add anything to your signature until November 1.

Note to Asshole Mods: Stop being assholes and teasing me. If you going to ban me because you guys are fucking dicks than just do it already. Fucking bitches.

urine goes either in the toilet or on your girlfriend.

NOT IN YOUR STOMACH!

Quote Originally Posted by willpunisher View Post
    if its working for the champs than why not?
    Do you think it's the drinking of urine that puts Machida over the top or the years of training in martial arts, the discipline and the inherent athletic ability?
    It's more that those who do it think that it helps them than anything the actual drinking of urine does.

I'm sure Lyoto would still be the champ without the urine drinking, but I'm not going to get close enough to the breath of someone who drinks their own urine to tell them that.

Quote Originally Posted by GangGreenWarrior View Post
    Do you think it's the drinking of urine that puts Machida over the top or the years of training in martial arts, the discipline and the inherent athletic ability?
    It's more that those who do it think that it helps them than anything the actual drinking of urine does.
    As a Psychology major, I can vouch for this. You could compare this to a placebo effect. For example, imagine if a patient in a hospital were in pain and a doctor [or one looking like a doctor] came in and told the patient that (s)he was going to give him/her a dose or morphine. Meanwhile, nothing was done at all, it only looked like something was being done, the patient would likely experience a lessening of pain and would likely report that they were feeling slightly to moderately better. The belief that something is helping you, regardless if it is or isn't can have very strange and powerful affects on the body.

Assuming that drinking your own urine has no benefits for you whatsoever, if for whatever reason Lyoto Machida was restricted from drinking his own urine for the duration of a training camp, I am very confident his performance of an upcoming fight would be lackluster. Even though there was no physical change, the mental change in Lyoto Machida for thinking that he has now lost an important part of his preparation would effect him. Lyoto would likely think he will perform worse because he hasn't consumed his own urine and because of these thoughts, he would perform worse. I wish I could explain more in-depth, but without citing research or articles I don't think it's right to just dump information without any of you being able to access to reliability of my post.

Ugh, this is just plain pointless.

Thread Information