Thread: Gum shield for grappling

Default Gum shield for grappling

Hello all,

What do you recommend I use for grappling? It's low level sparring but occasionally we do mix it up and use striking as well and I really want to keep all my teeth.

Do you use a gum shield just for the upper teeth?
    Do you use one for both upper and lower teeth?
    Do you recommend any particular make?
    Is it worth spending a lot of money on one?

Thanks!
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Training @ http://www.titanfighter.com

Sorry for the double post. I popped out during my lunch break and picked up a shock doctor max gum shield for the upper teeth.

I will try it out on Wednesday during my next session and post back.

I am still interested in your advice as well. Thanks
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i've been fine with just a molded piece on my upper teeth. in my experience, grappling, you're in much more danger of lacerating your lips than losing any teeth, and covering your top incisers does a lot to stop that. for the dirty boxing and clinch work, or even full blown mma (without headgear), i'm also usually fine with just the one top-piece. unless you guys are throwing very aggressive live knees or soccer kicks, i don't think a bottom piece is necessary.
    Survival is Triumph Enough
    -Harry Crews

I have never used a gum shield before and was very aware whilst grappling about knocking my teeth which can't have been a good thing because I would prefer to concentrate on task at hand. I have a session tonight so will be able to test drive my new shield out

I don't do hardcore sparring at all. It's mainly grappling working towards the sub but occasionally we mix it up with striking (on the ground) to help improve positions and to add some pressure/urgency.

I used the shield and have to say it was better than I thought it would be. One boil and bite session is all it took.

Conclusion: happy with my purchase.
    Last edited by Clark80; 10-13-2009 at 12:23 PM. Reason: Update

I wear a shock doctor for the upper teeth and I always wear it for sparring because theres always that chance that you'll catch an unfortunate knee or elbow to the jaw or face whilst grappling so you need the guard not only to protect your teeth but also reduce the dangers of biting your tongue or being knocked out.

Another reason why I recommend always sparring with a mouth guard is the fact that if you have any intention of competing you will be wearing one so it is best practice when sparring to try and simulate those conditions and breathing especially can be a great deal more difficult with the guard in than without.

i love this guy,,,, gum shield!! mouth-guard... awesome use of a newly created word!

Thread Information