+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gracie / Sakuraba Dream Gran Prix 2000

Default Gracie / Sakuraba Dream Gran Prix 2000

Yes, I understand that it was a 90 minute match that some may call "epic" but what a load of shit that was. The problem with that fight is that since they knew there was no round limit, and no judging, they can pretty much just stay at a stalemate until the they either found an opening or one of them let go of whatever position. I'm glad that the U.S. has pretty strict regulations for the fights so that nothing like that happens over here. I know that was a decade ago but Japan still does some funny stuff like that.

Duuuunnn Dun Dun Dun Dun Dun Dun Dun Duuuunnn Duuuunnn Duuuunnn Duuunnn.

SHW: E. Honda
    HW: Guile, Sagat
    LHW: Ryu, Akuma, Scorpion
    WW: Joe Higashi, Terry Bogard
    LW: Dhalsim, Tung Fu Ru

2. Default

Ummm okay.
    There are many paths to freedom....not all are peaceful.

All those special rules (unlimited time, rounds, no judging, etc) were asked by the Gracie family and it was indeed an epic fight. How many fighters u know r willing to go at it for 90 min? U just need to learn to appreciate mma at it's finest.

Couple of things here:

1. It was PRIDE, not DREAM.
    2. That fight was billed as avenging what was regarded by the Gracies as an unfair stoppage in the Royler fight.
    3. The Royler fight was the first "Loss" for a Gracie in MMA. (Royce's withdrawal was not regarded as a loss)
    4. If you can't appreciate true combat and a truly "epic" fight, I don't know what to tell you.

5. NOOBJACKED!!!!
    And the piano, it sounds like a carnival
    And the microphone smells like a beer

For the record that was the Pride FC GP (not the Dream GP 2000 as you stated in your title). That fight was epic in many ways. The history between the Gracies and Japanese ground fighters is unmatched in scope in the MMa world.

Watching that fight you are seeing the tides change again. That fight really was a dream come true. While the fight itself was an amazing gauntlet in many ways, the face of mma was changed in the most meaninful way since Gracie locked his first UFC submission back in '93.

IMO that fight is epic in every since of the word. I go back to watch that fight every couple of years to remind myself of all of the reasons I Practice martial arts.

Are you serious?

trolled

lets not call it epic its more like landmark, and really the gracies should have followed the same rules of the match they were trying to avenge, sometimes people give the gracies too much credit and not enough to the deeper origins, before you stone me i did say sometimes which means less than a majority of the time, not to take anything away from their devotion to the martial arts but their history in mma is a history of preserving family legacy over the preservation of the integrety of competition, this is why i always like renzo way more than royce

Epic: of unusually great size or extent.
    I would say it perfectly fits that definition in both significance as well as impact. Let's not minimize this fight based on simple records or American perception. This fight was Japan vs. Brazil on the biggest scale possible. It was Bird vs. Magic.
    And the piano, it sounds like a carnival
    And the microphone smells like a beer

LOL I won't even neg you for this, as I know you probably just got a bunch!

Sure, it was boring if you don't care for the JJ aspect of the game. But, if you do, this match is truly epic.

Also, it was probably the first real "dream match" between UFC and pride. At least the biggest up to that point. Sakaraba exposed the Gracies weaknesses over and over (hence gracie killer). Royce was the biggest name Gracie thus (epic) (dream Match).

And as a few have mentioned, it was Pride not Dream. Dream is a shit version of Pride. Basically, Pride minus all their biggest names with a few Asian exceptions. I think had Pride kept going, it would have caught on in the USA. Dream, I think never will.

I hate when people bring up Pride lol. Always puts me in that mood of reminiscing about the "good ole days". UFC really dropped the ball on what could have been a truly epic (UFC vs. Pride) series of ppvs.

Anyway, probably could have just made a mention of this in an existing post and saved yourself some rep... I'm just sayin. I've learned from experience about impulse or late night posting of new threads... not a great idea.

--
    edit.

Also, forget about anything that happened in the match, the fight is epic due to fucking cardio alone if nothing else! Most fighters today, knowing the importance of cardio (being able to breathe) have shit cardio. It's really sad, 5 rounds and these guys are at 60%. Imagine 90? lol. Epic!
    Last edited by Y2JUBAE; 01-10-2010 at 08:04 PM.
    Goodbye Mr. Burton

All in the reflexes
    Anderson Silva 5: TRT USERS 0 Hendo - Forrest - Nate - Chael... twice

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information