Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Updated Rankings For MMANews.com Are Now Up!

Here is my two cents. I kind of adopted the a NCAA philosophy for rankings. Give credit to what I consider quality wins or showings (close loss to top opponent or good fight out of weight class).

LIGHT WEIGHT DIVISION (155 LBS.)

Not really any changes here. I think the UFC LW might be slightly undervalued but hard to compare right now without many common oppenents. Sherk for example. Held his own with the top two in a higher weight class and vould be higher, but I think we need to see a few more fights out of him.

WELTERWEIGHT DIVISION (170 LBS.)

Would move Kos out, needs a quality win before getting in the top ten.

MIDDLEWEIGHT DIVISION (185 LBS.)

Would put A Silva at 1 and Lindland at 2. I think the manner in which he took the title gives him slight edge over Lindland. Agree with Franklin moving down. Got dominated and the only career wins you could even consider quality could be Evan Tanner.

LIGHT HEAVYWEIGHT DIVISION (205 LBS.)

Would probably keep Wanderlei at the top and Chuck at 2 for now but I think you can argue for days for the top 3 in any order. I Wanderlei some credit because he has a win out of his normal weight class (Fujita). Tito should not be so high. Has one career quality win (Silva) and that was so long ago, does not matter as much. I would move Babalu to 6, (career wins over SHogun and Horn) and move Tito to 9 or 10.

HEAVYWEIGHT DIVISION (up to 265 LBS.)

Arlovski is too high. SHould be down around 8 or 9 based on lack luster back to back losses to TS. I would move Vera down to 10 and move Hunt and Alejs up. I think he needs one more quality win before he moves up. Mir was a start, not because Mir is great any more, but Vera was very impressive. Don't think the top 4 can really be argued.

HW
    Yes Kharitonov has had a bad streak, but how could he not be in the top 10? How is Vera without enough competitive fights top 10? Why is AA so high? Why is Werdum below AA?

LHW
    Packed, I guess it's just that Tito is a wee bit too high, and of course, the top 3 - Chuck Shogun Silva are always arguable. Silva should be above Shogun, and one or both should be above Chuck. So hard to call, but I'd be happy with a 3 way tie at the top. They all deserve/not deserve debate.

MW
    Franklin is too high, Lindland is way too high, but it's kinda hard to put anyone in this class at #1. It'd feel comfortalbe if there was no #1 or something...

LW
    Sherk is way too high, he's above Hansen? So is Aurelio.

favorite MMA fighters
    Emelianenko Fedor
    A. Rodrigo Nogueira
    Mirko Filipovic
    Wanderlei Silva
    Mauricio "Shogun" Rua
    Paulo Filho
    Georges St. Pierre
    Sergei Kharitonov
    Denis Kang
    Luiz Azeredo
    Pawel Nastula

I dont think linland should be number one

and my only other thought is if lindland is number one in middleweights...how come he is behind filho in the P4P list

good rankings though
    -What you see is what you get with Dana," Diamond said. "He's funny, tough, witty, powerful, respectful of the sport. And he eats, sleeps and breaths the UFC. If you cut his arm, I think little octagons would fall out."-

I don't understand how Vandelei, Gomi and shogun are not on the p4p list. And how Matt lindland is below Paulo in the P4P but rank higher in their division.

Now first off I am not a really big fan of GSP but the guy is at least the number 2 P4P fighter in the world and I am almost tempted to put him at number 1. Now I know a lot of people will just point to Fedor and talk about how unstoppable he is and right now it seems it is. But GSP has been very impressive in his last couple of wins.

He dominated the current UFC LW Champion.

He somehow came back from taking a beating at the hands of BJ Penn to win.

Then he dominated arguably the most dominating MMA Champion ever.

All this should put GSP at least at number 2. I think as of right now he is the best P4P fighter in the world but thats me.

Quote Originally Posted by Masscore
    Now first off I am not a really big fan of GSP but the guy is at least the number 2 P4P fighter in the world and I am almost tempted to put him at number 1. Now I know a lot of people will just point to Fedor and talk about how unstoppable he is and right now it seems it is. But GSP has been very impressive in his last couple of wins.

He dominated the current UFC LW Champion.

He somehow came back from taking a beating at the hands of BJ Penn to win.

Then he dominated arguably the most dominating MMA Champion ever.

All this should put GSP at least at number 2. I think as of right now he is the best P4P fighter in the world but thats me.
    I am having a difficult time buying into your whole "I'm not a GSP fan".
    So because St. Pierre has been impressive in his past 2 wins he should be "AT LEAST" #2 p4p. So his 2 wins, should trump Fedor, Chuck and Cro Cop?

He was getting owned by BJ and somehow cam back and won? I can explain... Bj pummelled his face in round 1 and got very tired and had nothing left for rounds 2 and 3, St. Pierre landed some takedowns and was awarded the decision.

Fedor ate the nastiest slam I have ever seen and it did not take him 2 rounds to recover or comeback from that slam like St. Pierre getting owned in rd 1 by Penn, it took Fedor SECONDS to recover from the slam, sweep Randleman and lock on the Kimura less than 30 seconds after eating that slam.

Aside from that 1 example, it is what it is, Fedor has owned everyone and is the best in the world, Cro Cop is phenomenal as well, so is Chuck. Therefore when talking in terms of P4P St. Pierre should not be above any of those names.

Hughes the most dominant champion? Now I know your a St. Pierre fan now... defending the title more than anyone else does nt make you the most dominant champion ever. He lost to Newton but was awarded the victory on a BS call, he got owne by Penn, he was getting beaten in his first fight with St. Pierre, was getting owned for 2 rounds in his second fight with Penn until Penn tore an abdominal muscle and got owned in his second fight with St. Pierre so I am having difficulty understanding where this "most dominant champion ever" thing is coming from?

Hughes was great 5 years ago when you could still win fights without having a standup game, that has long since changed so Hughes and his future in MMA are goign to be short-lived as no standup game = no title in todays MMA or title only vs an opponent without a standup game unless an injury occurs.
    Last edited by dagreat1; 12-02-2006 at 02:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by dagreat1
    P4P rankings - Cro Cop #2, GSP #3, Chuck #4
    Quote Originally Posted by dagreat1
    Cro Cop is phenomenal as well, so is Chuck. Therefore when talking in terms of P4P St. Pierre should not be above any of those names.
    (lol)

Quote Originally Posted by Hypergit
    (lol)
    It was an oversight, after I posted it I went through them again briefly and knew they were off. I also did not even have Big Nog on the list. I would put GSP outside of the top 5 P4P.

1)Fedor
    2)Cro Cop
    3) Big Nog
    4) Silva
    5) Chuck
    6) Barnett
    7) St. Pierre
    8) Gomi
    9) Penn
    10) Filho

P4P top 10 is just ridiculously difficult to compile and I have never been a bif fan of P4P rankings, I think the only p4p ranking should be the #1 spot as it is clear right now, Fedor and the rest of the top 10 does not seem important IMO.
    Last edited by dagreat1; 12-02-2006 at 10:15 AM.

Thread Information