Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Octagon.

Default The Octagon.

Just curious as to why a lot of people seem to dislike the octagon? I'm going to guess it's visual aspect, but it may be because that it's too easy to lean against it, or take a guy down, prop his head up and drop elbows. But I was thinking, if it was a visual problem, why don't they go to some sort of clear plexi glass? I'm sure there's a plexi glass with a bit of bend to it.

Just a thought...

haha. I think we discussed all that before and even the idea of plexiglass came up. Not too bad of forum, right? One step ahead

NAGA's mma fights use a 6 sided ring, works very well, really hard for a guy to get caught in a corner

I Like It, I Like Trhe Ring To Though Its A Little Bigger I Think

I like the Octagon. But, I think dudes should be able to lean against it or even hang onto it. It should not be against the rules.

if a dude can rush a guy into the fence and then get the takedown, did the fence not assist in the takedown? Same thing should apply to the guy getting taken down... he should be able to grab the fence for an attempted save.

If a wrestler wants a clean takedown, execute it in the middle of the Octagon, away from the barrier.

As far as visibility is concerned... the Octagon should be resessed into the ground (or the audience raised up) so that spectators look down on the action. I guess that may be grounds to rename it from the "Octagon" to the "Pit" though... lol

who doesn't like the octagon?

"For years Iíve underestimated Tim Sylvia. This time I think Iím gonna be in the minority and pick Tim and his long right hand. Come to think of it, I am a minority." - Din Thomas predicts Sylvia to beat Fedor LMAO!

Favorite Fighters: Penn, Rampage, Tito, Couture, Guida, GSP, Mayhem, Varner, Mir, Torres

13-6-1 in AV/SIG bets

I dont like it because people keep grabbing it, the octagon is just effect.. it looks cool but all its good for in a fight is cheating.
    "CB Dollaway made a bad decision and now he gets a 2nd chance to earn a victory tonight against CB Dollaway" - Mike Goldberg
    Fav MMA: Sudo, Stevenson, Shields, Kid, Werdum, Hendo, Rampage, Gomi, Sakurai, Okami, Penn, Kawajiri, Big Nogs

Fav Boxers: Sam Peter, RJJ, Pacman, Dawson, Frazier, Hatton, Winky Wright, Paul Williams, SSM, Miranda, Cotto, Linares

The octagon for sure looks way more bad ass but critics of it will say they dont like it because of fighters that hold on to the cage and use it as a weapon. Also if you are live at an event it makes it hard to see. But from home you have no probs, camera angles are great. I personaly like the octagon but ring aint bad either. Hell if you want to solve it all just make mma orgs use a regular wrestling mat.

Quote Originally Posted by Afro Samurai
    I dont like it because people keep grabbing it, the octagon is just effect.. it looks cool but all its good for in a fight is cheating.
    yeah but fighters could also grab ring ropes as well...

"For years Iíve underestimated Tim Sylvia. This time I think Iím gonna be in the minority and pick Tim and his long right hand. Come to think of it, I am a minority." - Din Thomas predicts Sylvia to beat Fedor LMAO!

Favorite Fighters: Penn, Rampage, Tito, Couture, Guida, GSP, Mayhem, Varner, Mir, Torres

13-6-1 in AV/SIG bets

Quote Originally Posted by BigBanda
    The octagon for sure looks way more bad ass but critics of it will say they dont like it because of fighters that hold on to the cage and use it as a weapon. Also if you are live at an event it makes it hard to see. But from home you have no probs, camera angles are great. I personaly like the octagon but ring aint bad either. Hell if you want to solve it all just make mma orgs use a regular wrestling mat.
    they'd fall out lol, I think the plexiglass was a good idea but did you all see Bobby Southworth put James Irvin thru a cage door? imagine if it was plexiglass and Tank Abbott wouldnt be allowed to fight in it cuz u know he would be gunnin to put someone threw it.

I think the UFC should replace the cage with ropes, leave the mat alone.. Ropes are much better then a cage.. have people on the outside keepin peoples hands off of the ropes.
    "CB Dollaway made a bad decision and now he gets a 2nd chance to earn a victory tonight against CB Dollaway" - Mike Goldberg
    Fav MMA: Sudo, Stevenson, Shields, Kid, Werdum, Hendo, Rampage, Gomi, Sakurai, Okami, Penn, Kawajiri, Big Nogs

Fav Boxers: Sam Peter, RJJ, Pacman, Dawson, Frazier, Hatton, Winky Wright, Paul Williams, SSM, Miranda, Cotto, Linares

Thread Information