Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TKO or KO?

Default TKO or KO?

So I just read another quote from Chuck Liddell where he touts two KO victories over Tito,and it once again got me thinking...Why does he consistently say he Ko'ed Tito twice,when both fights were clearly(IMO)TKO's.

When I think of a KO,I think of being knocked unconscious,just as the word OUT would suggest.What do you all think?

I did not check UFC.com to see if those fights are listed as KO or TKO,and I think maybe this is

Because it sounds better. He probably also didn't mention how his eye poke lead to his first victory over tito.

The old TKO is the new KO
    The old KO is the new KTFO
    Hating on Anderson Silva before it was the cool thing to do.

The idea of a "true number one contender" is the stupidiest MMA idea to be perpetuated by fans and media, EVER.

HATES the new MMANEWS forum. Bring back the dark background.

tkos are kos. They're both knock outs, one just happens to be technical. It's just the way people say it. I describe tko as ko all the time. "Did you see the Mir Carwin fight last night? Man Carwin knocked frank the fuck out!" In reality I Knew it was really a tko, but it's all the same when you're talking about it. In my mind I'd rather boast tkoing somebody, cause you can always catch somebody with a lucky punch, but to stand over them and wail them in the face while they cower in a fetal position is a lot more dominating and embarassing.

Quote Originally Posted by jody View Post
    So I just read another quote from Chuck Liddell where he touts two KO victories over Tito,and it once again got me thinking...Why does he consistently say he Ko'ed Tito twice,when both fights were clearly(IMO)TKO's.

When I think of a KO,I think of being knocked unconscious,just as the word OUT would suggest.What do you all think?

I did not check UFC.com to see if those fights are listed as KO or TKO,and I think maybe this is
    Sherdog has the first Tito/Chuck fight listed as a KO, while fight number 2 is listed as a TKO.
    The UFC website gives both fights as TKO's
    " I don't want to die for you, but if dying is asked of me, I'll bear that cross with honour, 'cause freedom don't come free."
    "All men wanna be rich, rich men wanna be kings, a king ain't satisfied til he rules everything"

There are a ton of "KO"s that aren't actually KOs. Hell, there are TKOs that are KOs.

Ie - Damian Maia was TKO'd, he wasn't out cold. Maia got leveled. But he turned over and was moving. Not to say that he wasn't 3 seconds from being put out though. Jens Pulver wasn't KO'd by Gomi neither.

Keith Jardine was KO'd by Alexander. He was out cold. Listed as a TKO.

It's basically what the ref feels like calling it isn't it? I think when a ref stops a fight because he feels a fighter is about to get KO'd and he wants to prevent the guy from taking any more damage, it's a TKO. Really hard to make that distinction, because some fights the guy is not out, he just doesn't make any moves to defend himself after getting dropped, like Maia/Marquardt or Koscheck/Thiago, or Mir/Lesnar 2, I think they were all ruled KO's even though the getting getting KO'd got up pretty fast and didn't seem to be out (Mir was definitely out of it though).

It really does not matter either way, once you can no longer continue in a fight you lose. TKOs and KOs are pretty much the same thing. I think having a criteria for the two is silly because the only things that should matter on your record is the W to L ratio.

Fav Fighters: Mir, Chuck, Hendo, Wand, Jason Miller, Kos, Alves, Guida, Florian, Benavidez, Jacare, Mousasi, Marlon Sandro, Palharres, Diaz bros, Serra, Shogun, Phil Davis, and Cormier.

Least: Bisbing, Rashad, GSP, Jardine, BJ Penn, Barnett, Wilson Gouveia, Baroni, Marcus Davis, Varner, Shields, CB, and Kimbo.

tko means if it would have continued, it would have lead to a ko so i kinda consider them the same thing.

IMO they are 2 different things.

KO is when the opponents is unconcsiousm, for example Dan vs Bisping was a great example of a KO

TKO is when the opponent is not defending himself but he is not really out.
    Not only brazilians can do this stuff

Quote Originally Posted by Xanatos View Post
    tkos are kos. They're both knock outs, one just happens to be technical. It's just the way people say it. I describe tko as ko all the time. "Did you see the Mir Carwin fight last night? Man Carwin knocked frank the fuck out!" In reality I Knew it was really a tko, but it's all the same when you're talking about it. In my mind I'd rather boast tkoing somebody, cause you can always catch somebody with a lucky punch, but to stand over them and wail them in the face while they cower in a fetal position is a lot more dominating and embarassing.
    Exactly. Great post.
    Fedor Emelianenko is the Greatest P4P MMA fighter to ever walk the earth, hands down.

Thread Information