by Dann Stupp on May 23, 2010 at 2:10 pm ET
In his first fight since the Ultimate Fighting Championship terminated his contract, heavyweight Paul Buentello posted a dominating performance and scored a unanimous-decision win over Bryan Humes.
The fight headlined Saturday's Shark Fights 11 event.
The latest show from the popular Texas-based promotion took place at Ector County Coliseum in Odessa.
Buentello, who went 0-2 in his latest UFC stint with losses to Stefan Struve and Cheick Kongo, scored multiple knockdowns, scored frequently from the clinch, and dominated the ground action to pick up the victory.
Humes, a Muay Thai fighter who once tipped the scales at 350 pounds (and now fights at the 265-pound heavyweight limit), entered the fight with a perfect 6-0 record.
As MMAjunkie.com (UFC blog for UFC news, UFC rumors, fighter interviews and event previews/recaps | MMAjunkie.com
) recently reported, Ellis Pacheco, who represents Buentello (27-12 MMA, 3-3 UFC), said the fighter could return to the UFC after some wins in outside promotions.
He's now 1-0 on that front.
The full Shark Fights 11 results included:
* Paul Buentello def. Bryan Humes via unanimous decision
* Derek Campos def. Luis Luna via unanimous decision
* Clinton Holcomb def. Lance Bartholomew via KO - Round 3, 1:42
* Tony Castillo def. Chris Golden via submission (rear-naked choke) - Round 2, 2:47
* Joseph Sandoval def. Derrick Carter via KO - Round 1, 1:36
* Armando Herrera def. Chase Watson via unanimous decision
* Jason Sampson def. Jeremiah Castillo via TKO - Round 1, 1:33
* Mark Martinez def. Bryan Valdez via submission (guillotine choke) - Round 1, 2.36