Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Whats next for Wandy?

I dunno it would be good marketing if it were an american but other then Chuck Liddell (we can still dream cant we?) or Hendo who would be worthy and make for a good fight? Also i think rather then just throwing in any old American (ala Coleman) the US fans would rather see a great matchup of foreigners then a subpar over match American in there just for the USA chants.
    Avy and Sig Bet record 17-9-1

-

I think pride will give wand an easier fight for shockwave, hoping he will still have the belt to defend in febuary. Arona is pushing for a rematch and is pissed that wand has stated that lil nog is a better fighter and should get the title shot. Based on lil nog going the distance with shogun and shogun knocking out arona. interview was done by marcelo alonso

personally I would rather see him fight lil nog, after already watching him fight arona twice.

Quote Originally Posted by The Sundance Kid
    On the contrary i think Pride Views it as a great marketing move. ala Coleman vs. Fedor. I agree with you when you say that MMA fans would like to see the best passably match-up. But i think there are alot more casual fans that just want to see Americans, and i think are more casual fans than hardcore fans, so pride will try to appeal to the masses.
    right as i said it is a good marketing move but not the best. Its kinda of a short sighted stragedy intended to get the attention of and bring in the "casual" fan. But you cant tell me that a Coleman/Fedor fight sells better then a Cro Cop/Fedor fight in USA. Just hypothetically saying if they would have put out a Cro Cop/Fedor, Shogun/Fedor any type of A+ matchup draws just as much as Real Deal did if not more. IMO
    Avy and Sig Bet record 17-9-1

-

Arona is a damn good fighter and he always seems to get shafted. I know he's not the most exciting fighter but he's very good. I think Arona/Wand need to fight again. I heard rumors of Minowa fighting Wand on at NYE, I could for sure see pride making that match.

Quote Originally Posted by Tokyo's bad boy
    Arona is a damn good fighter and he always seems to get shafted. I know he's not the most exciting fighter but he's very good. I think Arona/Wand need to fight again. I heard rumors of Minowa fighting Wand on at NYE, I could for sure see pride making that match.
    I agree they need to have the third fight to decide whos better, personally shogun is the one getting shafted, with his training partner being wand. and hes beat lil nog and arona. I agree with you on having him fight minowa at shockwave. japanese fighter for the fans and pride thinking wand would beat him again and keep his belt for the us show.

Wand will fight lil nog or henderson. lil nog makes the most sense. but a hendo fight makes it interesting great marketing pride gets to hype usa vs brazil. hendo would get a shot at having 2 belts.. has anyone ever done that in pride???

has shogun gone over to the new dark horse team with asilvia? if he has we could see him fighting wand this year

Quote Originally Posted by Beatts35
    Wand will fight lil nog or henderson. lil nog makes the most sense. but a hendo fight makes it interesting great marketing pride gets to hype usa vs brazil. hendo would get a shot at having 2 belts.. has anyone ever done that in pride???

has shogun gone over to the new dark horse team with asilvia? if he has we could see him fighting wand this year
    I would like to see henderson and wand fight again, first fight was good. I hope hendersons fight on nye is a title fight.

Well from what Wand has hinted at in an interview not long ago he will not be competing for much longer. He said he plans to open a training center in Los Angeles and then stay there. The interview was at the end of October and he wanted to open the school in around 5 months or so. 2007 may be the last year we see Wand actively competing.

Quote Originally Posted by The Sundance Kid
    You guys don't think it will be an American, it will, and i don't see Wandy fighting on NYE, Feb. will be his next fight.
    No, it will not be an American, the whole roster for the Real Deal took that shape and form but they do not plan on following suit IMO, it was just a 1 time thing for any new American fans watching to say, look, we have Fedor, Nak, Barnett, Hendo and Shogun.

The February fight will be against Lil Nog, he trains with the Cuban Olympic boxing team and is currently the reigning South American HW champion in boxing. Most peopel don't realize tht about him, they just see him as a phenomenal grappler. He destroyed Shogun in the standup all 3 rounds in their fight, SHogun got lots of takedows so he won that fihgt but as far as striking went, Lil Nog owned him which is very impressive to dominate a striker of Shoguns calibre.

With Pride announcing 12 PPV for 2007 and title defenses on every PPV, that means they are going to really push the envelope and bring American fans (and all fans) what they want, more title defenses and title defenses against the #1 contenders. You can argue over who the #1 contender is (Shogun and Wand will only fight eachother in the MWGP, they have already stated), it's either Arona or Lil Nog and honestly it is way too close to call so I would be fine with either.

I also think Lil Nog may become the #1 MW in the world by 2008 if he is given his title shot.

I know Shogun and Wandy won't fight each other because they train together and are friends, but if I was fighting I would want to be the champion, I don't care who it is. Chuck wanted Tito when they were still friends, cause Tito had the belt.

Thread Information