Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gracie

Default Gracie

How many bloody Gracie's are there? It seems like every non ufc card has a Gracie on it. Is the family tree anywhere?

Default Gracie Clan

You weren't aware that Gracie jujitsu is really just a massive Brazilian breedng program?

Last edited by Clint; 12-08-2006 at 06:53 PM.

Just go to http://www.gracieacademy.com .... tells all about gracie jj and has a huge family tree and gracie fighters.

Malice Guest

The key to this is, hispanic people have way too many kids...

My fiance is spanish and her immediate family can get over 100 easily, my family (Im white) is at about 25 at the same level in the tree as hers.

Carlos Gracie was a very busy man.

"The 39-year-old Gracie is one of nine children, seven of whom are boys. His training in Jiu-Jitsu began at a very early age as a game with his father Helio, now 88 years old"

....Can you imagine being Royce, 7 brothers and 2 sisters.

I just wanted to throw some more in here since I got caught up in the history of the Gracies. Helio Gracie(father of Royce and his siblings and creator of Gracie JJ) was one hell of a hard ass....

Helio eventually fought 17 fights including matches against the world wrestling champion, Wladek Zbyszko and a qualifying fight against the #2 jiu-jitsu fighter in the world, Kato, who Helio choked unconscious in 6 minutes. This victory enabled him to enter the ring with the world champion, Masahiko Kimura, who outweighed Helio by over 80 pounds. Helio Gracie holds the record for the longest match in history for a battle against his former student, Waldemar Santana, which lasted an amazing 3 hours and 40 minutes! Helio, the first sports hero in Brazilian history, also challenged boxing icons Primo Carnera, Joe Louis and Ezzard Charles. They all declined.

Helio vs Kimura...
    Finally, thirteen minutes into the bout, Kimura positioned himself to apply a reverse ude-garami (arm entanglement, a shoulderlock). Gracie refused to submit, even after his arm broke, forcing Kimura to continue the lock on Gracie's broken arm. At this point, Carlos Gracie, Helio's older brother, threw in the towel to end the match to protect his brother's health. In 1994, Helio admitted in an interview that he had in fact been choked unconcious earlier in the match, but had revived and continued fighting.

....DAMN those are some amazing stats and amazing history! I cant even begin to think how tired Helio and his opponent were fighting for 3 hours and 40 minutes, that's just insane. Helio... you the man! haha

Here is the fight between Helio and Kimura ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DH1eNsMNW24
    Last edited by BigBanda; 12-08-2006 at 07:51 PM.

So was Royce the best? Why else was he chosen to fight in UFC 1

Thread Information