Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 20 of 20

Thread: Gracie

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    7,077

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Metalhead
    So was Royce the best? Why else was he chosen to fight in UFC 1
    Yeah I mean from what history I know Royce was the most successfull in his MMA career. He got a lot of attention especially after submitted akebono. A 6'1'' 180lb guy submitting a 6'8'' 486lb guy! .. shit's insane. He also has won 3 UFC titles and 1st to be inducted into UFC hall of fame along with Ken Shamrock. You can read all about the different Gracie's on that site i posted, here it is again... http://www.gracieacademy.com

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    2,560

    Default

    I thought Royce had admitted that either Rickson or Renzo is better than him ... Forgot which ... In any event, he's the most successful Gracie in terms of impact. Kinda like how Ken Shamrock is a bigger icon than Frank, even though Frank is more skilled. I think Royce was mainly picked for the early UFCs because he was smaller than most of his opponents, which made it clear that his victories were by virtue of his skill/style.

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    367

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rufio
    I thought Royce had admitted that either Rickson or Renzo is better than him ... Forgot which ... In any event, he's the most successful Gracie in terms of impact. Kinda like how Ken Shamrock is a bigger icon than Frank, even though Frank is more skilled. I think Royce was mainly picked for the early UFCs because he was smaller than most of his opponents, which made it clear that his victories were by virtue of his skill/style.
    Rickson was the best fighter the Gracie's had during the first UFC's. He was supposed to compete in UFC 1 instead of Royce. Family politics got in the way, somehow, and Royce ended up competing instead.

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    3,283

    Default

    royce has admitted he was not the best. Rickson is currently the best Gracie son that still competes or actively instructs.

    rorion, his brother who came up with the idea behind the UFC, chose Royce to represent the family. Royce, a 170 lb skinny kid tapping out big muhfuckers is much more impressive then Rickson, a ripped out 190 lb guy, doing it. because then you could say it was a strength or weight issue, and it works just because Rickson is a beast. but when little Royce takes kids down and taps them like bitches, what can you say other then BJJ is better than what you know?
    Favorites
    HW: Cro Cop | Barnett | Gonzaga
    LHW: Rampage| Shogun
    MW: KANG | Sakuraba | Spider Silva | Baroni | Akiyama
    WW: Thiago Alves | GSP | Mach
    LW: Gomi | BJ Penn | Aoki | Jamie Varner reppin' AZCS | DIDA
    FW: KID



    9-7 in sig/av bets

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Nova Scotia
    Posts
    3,662

    Default

    theres a good tree on wikipedia
    4-3-1 in Sig Bets.

    "If you fuck with me I'm going to fuck with you" Kevin "The Monster" Randleman

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    1,059

    Default

    Family politcs eh? Am I the only one thinking of the Godfather?

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Strong Island, NY
    Posts
    1,049

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rockx
    The key to this is, hispanic people have way too many kids...

    My fiance is spanish and her immediate family can get over 100 easily, my family (Im white) is at about 25 at the same level in the tree as hers.
    The Gracie's are not of Spanish descent, they aren't even of Portugese either... their family came from SCOTLAND.. "Gracie" is about as anglo a name as you can get.

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    7,077

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BigBanda
    I just wanted to throw some more in here since I got caught up in the history of the Gracies. Helio Gracie(father of Royce and his siblings and creator of Gracie JJ) was one hell of a hard ass....

    Helio eventually fought 17 fights including matches against the world wrestling champion, Wladek Zbyszko and a qualifying fight against the #2 jiu-jitsu fighter in the world, Kato, who Helio choked unconscious in 6 minutes. This victory enabled him to enter the ring with the world champion, Masahiko Kimura, who outweighed Helio by over 80 pounds. Helio Gracie holds the record for the longest match in history for a battle against his former student, Waldemar Santana, which lasted an amazing 3 hours and 40 minutes! Helio, the first sports hero in Brazilian history, also challenged boxing icons Primo Carnera, Joe Louis and Ezzard Charles. They all declined.

    Helio vs Kimura...
    Finally, thirteen minutes into the bout, Kimura positioned himself to apply a reverse ude-garami (arm entanglement, a shoulderlock). Gracie refused to submit, even after his arm broke, forcing Kimura to continue the lock on Gracie's broken arm. At this point, Carlos Gracie, Helio's older brother, threw in the towel to end the match to protect his brother's health. In 1994, Helio admitted in an interview that he had in fact been choked unconcious earlier in the match, but had revived and continued fighting.

    ....DAMN those are some amazing stats and amazing history! I cant even begin to think how tired Helio and his opponent were fighting for 3 hours and 40 minutes, that's just insane. Helio... you the man! haha

    Here is the fight between Helio and Kimura ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DH1eNsMNW24
    Anyone watch that fight i posted at the end? We've came a long ways in film production haha. I was reading Kimura's wikipedia and he was trying to win by just slamming Helio around and knocking him unconscious...matt was too soft though.

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Crawled under a rock
    Posts
    1,481

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Beatts35
    The Gracie's are not of Spanish descent, they aren't even of Portugese either... their family came from SCOTLAND.. "Gracie" is about as anglo a name as you can get.
    During the time of slavery in the US, salves were also shipped to other countries including Brazil. For every slave that was shipped to America, SEVEN were shipped to Brazil. This may explain somewhat the different skin tones of the Brazilians.
    The will to win is not as great as the will to prepare to win."

    "...the way of the future...the way of the future...the way of the future...the way of the future..."

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    4,178

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AJL416AZ
    royce has admitted he was not the best. Rickson is currently the best Gracie son that still competes or actively instructs.

    rorion, his brother who came up with the idea behind the UFC, chose Royce to represent the family. Royce, a 170 lb skinny kid tapping out big muhfuckers is much more impressive then Rickson, a ripped out 190 lb guy, doing it. because then you could say it was a strength or weight issue, and it works just because Rickson is a beast. but when little Royce takes kids down and taps them like bitches, what can you say other then BJJ is better than what you know?
    Exactly, great post, I have heard the same thing though did not know who made the decision to send Royce.

    Royler is supposedly the best grappler in the family.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •