Thread: I want to start training for MMA

Default I want to start training for MMA

What should I do and what should I focus primarily on first?

If I joined a school, I would rather spend my time training somewhere known for its results, Not your local gym with a couple of tough guys.

Just looking for any advice whatsoever.

Hit me!

First off, join a gym. Make sure your in some kind of shape, with some cardio so that way you look a little serious. Second find a real MMA gym, somewhere that has fighters that fight, thirdly if your gym doesnt have this, a manager to book you fights. You will spend about a year training before you should take a fight but that all depends on your skill level. Also look into your diet, and make sure your getting everything you need, then add some more,lol. Supplements will make your life easier, because your going to feed your body to keep your muscle gain going. Maybe pick up some men's health, fitness mags just as some reading material, stay up to date on new training excersises, etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trojan Fight Club View Post
    well now I've seen War Machine's dick. fantastic.
    Quote Originally Posted by GL Jeff View Post
    Ill go against the grain.
    Werdum via triangle
    Someone needs to cheer for those poor souls.

I am not a MMA fighter but many people have told me that its impossible to train MMA without any real base. If tou dont have any base I think first you should go to Muay Thai or Wrestling or BJJ, as these 3 are the most classical (and effective) bases for MMA.

Then after maybe a couple of years try a new martial art (if you trained Muay thai now go to BJJ for example)

Now if you are doing this just as a hobby then maybe you can start directly in MMA, but if your aspirations are serious and you want to achieve something important I think you should be very patient and begin with only one martial art
    Not only brazilians can do this stuff

Quote Originally Posted by Pashak View Post
    I am not a MMA fighter but many people have told me that its impossible to train MMA without any real base. If tou dont have any base I think first you should go to Muay Thai or Wrestling or BJJ, as these 3 are the most classical (and effective) bases for MMA.

Then after maybe a couple of years try a new martial art (if you trained Muay thai now go to BJJ for example)

Now if you are doing this just as a hobby then maybe you can start directly in MMA, but if your aspirations are serious and you want to achieve something important I think you should be very patient and begin with only one martial art
    You bring up a good point.Having a base is really the best way to go. But you can leap frog off of anything really. I went from football and general sports into MMA and I shoot better then most wrestlers. I think it has alot to do with the work ethic sports brings, following direction knowing how far you can push yourself, and working in that type of enviroment.

But of course, you need to have the hours to put in. 10'000 to be the best, thats what most of the worlds greatest athletes will tell you. They trained 10k hours to be at the top.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trojan Fight Club View Post
    well now I've seen War Machine's dick. fantastic.
    Quote Originally Posted by GL Jeff View Post
    Ill go against the grain.
    Werdum via triangle
    Someone needs to cheer for those poor souls.

Thread Information