+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Ultimate Training Camp

Default The Ultimate Training Camp

Alright guys here is something that I think might yield interesting results. If you had to choose an active UFC fighter to train you who would they be. You can have one guy in each of the following disciplines: wrestling, JuiJitsu, striking, brawling, conditioning, and strategy. All of these are important to use and to be successful, so what would be the ultimate training team.

Wrestling - Sonnen(Guy has taken down everyone put in front of him, if you want to get it to the mat there is no one better to teach you how to get there. Plus you will get to learn some amazing nonsensical rantings.)

Jits - Big Nog(Come on does it get any better)

Striking - Dan Hardy(Probably not the most popular choice but This guys striking is as good as anybody. He can end your night at any time as long as it stays on the feet.)

Brawling - Mark Hunt(He is active now and if I had a brawl to get into I would want Hunt on my side)

Conditioning - GSP(Guy never slows down) Edgar is a close second

Strategy - Couture(He always has a gameplan that puts him in a position to win. That is one of the biggest reasons he is still a viable person in this sport. He is one of the smartest fighters in the world)

Alright now can you all do better? I think not.

Wrestling - How could you choose anyone else besides Sonnen or GSP as of right now. If i had to choose though it would be Sonnen. The guy knows all dimensions of the sport.

Jits - Oddly enough I would choose Wandy/Rua , mainly because they utilize the sweeps unlike most BJJ fighters and can get off their backs against anyone.

Brawling - Come on now, gotta be Wandy

Conditioning - Of course GSP. There are very few people on the planet that can go five rounds with the pace he sets and still look like he's in the first.

Techinical striking - Rua's Muay Thai is the most technical and aggressive in the sport.

Wrestling - I would have to go with either GSP or Koschek. Probably would lean more towards GSP since Koschek seems to forget he has a wrestling pedigree sometimes.

Jit Jitsu - I would probably go with McLovin. I think he's creative in the way he goes for subs and is willing to take gambles in going for subs.

Brawling - No one. The last thing I want to do is learn how to stand in front of a guy and get beat on. I dont want to come out talking like Ali after my career is over.

Conditioning - Forrest Griffin. I think Forrest is one of those guys who doesnt have that natural ability so he has to actually train harder. Since I dont have natural ability I would want a guy who knows how to push himself.

Technical Striking - This is a toughy cause I'm more of a boxing guy than a Muay Thai guy so i would probably go with BJ Penn or maybe even Lil Nog. Both have solid head movement, footwork, and good hands.

Wrestling - Sonnen

Jits - Jacare or Maia

Striking - Anderson Silva

Brawling - Oveereem or Wandy

Conditioning - GSP
    -SIGNATURE REMOVED FOR EXCEEDING SIZE LIMIT-

Note to Willpunisher: You have lost signature privileges until November 1, 2010. You may remove this message, but may not add anything to your signature until November 1.

Note to Asshole Mods: Stop being assholes and teasing me. If you going to ban me because you guys are fucking dicks than just do it already. Fucking bitches.

Wrestling - SONNEN

Jits - MAIA

Striking - SHOGUN

Brawling - WAND

Conditioning - GSP, SONNEN, FRANKIE

Strategy - GSP

Wrestling - Sonnen/Couture

Boxing/Muay Thai - Florian

BJJ - BJ

Brawling - Wandy/Shogun

Conditioning - GSP

* I've said this before that if I had to pick just one guy to train all disciplines under it'd be Jeremy Horn. He is a great coach and very well rounded fighter.

Quote Originally Posted by Frasedog View Post
    Wrestling - Sonnen/Couture

Boxing/Muay Thai - Florian

BJJ - BJ

Brawling - Wandy/Shogun

Conditioning - GSP

* I've said this before that if I had to pick just one guy to train all disciplines under it'd be Jeremy Horn. He is a great coach and very well rounded fighter.
    I'm a little surprised you picked Florian for Boxing/Muay Thai...his boxing skills don't look good in particular against top tier fighters.

this is kind of ridiculous, brawling camp? really? and you would chose mark hunt(he cant teach you how to have one of the best chins fighting has seen) dan hardy, one of the best strikers? as much as i hate daley, dan said that he was better standing, not even the best at his own camp.

learn some great muay thai from lloyd irvin, phil nurse, or another top muay thai coach with mma knowledge. Get some good boxing for mma from juanito, peter welch, howard davis, etc. and get it all wrapped up into a top level striking system with a bas rutten, maurice smith, duke rufas, etc (they are high level kickboxers that incorporate high level boxing skills into a muay thai ruleset) many kickboxing matches have the same rules or similar rules to muay thai but you can see how very different they are, muay thai fighters generally have very questionable hands and not the best defense or counters. they would get picked apart from a K1 style kickboxer.

Quote Originally Posted by rampage9712 View Post
    this is kind of ridiculous, brawling camp? really? and you would chose mark hunt(he cant teach you how to have one of the best chins fighting has seen) dan hardy, one of the best strikers? as much as i hate daley, dan said that he was better standing, not even the best at his own camp.

learn some great muay thai from lloyd irvin, phil nurse, or another top muay thai coach with mma knowledge. Get some good boxing for mma from juanito, peter welch, howard davis, etc. and get it all wrapped up into a top level striking system with a bas rutten, maurice smith, duke rufas, etc (they are high level kickboxers that incorporate high level boxing skills into a muay thai ruleset) many kickboxing matches have the same rules or similar rules to muay thai but you can see how very different they are, muay thai fighters generally have very questionable hands and not the best defense or counters. they would get picked apart from a K1 style kickboxer.
    haha don't be a buzz kill man. I know what your saying, but the thread is only ment to be a bit of fun to stir up some discussion. Obviously you can throw people out there who are actual trainers and also are focused on seperate areas of the sport.

Quote Originally Posted by Chute_Boxe44 View Post
    haha don't be a buzz kill man. I know what your saying, but the thread is only ment to be a bit of fun to stir up some discussion. Obviously you can throw people out there who are actual trainers and also are focused on seperate areas of the sport.
    no its a cool idea to choose fighters to teach a certain style rather then trainers, but it was odd that he chose brawling as style. you dont really learn that, it is how some fighters perfer to fight buts its not like guys like wand, leban, forrest, etc arent taught striking and they just decide to be ultra aggressive and throw caution to the wind and have bad defense and get countered.(forrest looked great against anderson) brawling will work very well at the lower levels of mma, but it has almost died out in the top tier of mma due in part beacuse they get picked apart by strikers and leave themselves open for takedowns. a guy like rampage might have been consitered a brawler in the earlier parts of his career and he had good power and a good chin, but he changed his style a lot and has very good boxing and would kill his former self.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information