Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is the selection process for TUF?

Default What is the selection process for TUF?

I was just wondering if anyone knows how the fighters are selected for TUF each year?

Some of the fighters that have appeared on the show over the years have been very odd choices (with bad pro records or being unimpressive, inexperienced rookies) and I just wondered how these fighters make it on the show out of the thousands that (I'm sure) apply every year.

Favourite Fighters: A. Silva, Velasquez, Swanson, Bisping, W. Silva, Barnett, Faber, Dos Santos, Manuwa, McCall, Pickett & Poirier
    Least-Favourite Fighters: Story, Sylvia, Browne & Lentz

0-1 on sig bets.

rob_bills Guest

i would presume its based on a combination of record, ways of winning, where they are from. (bisping and other foreigners are put in there to boost ratings) As far as i know they apply and probably need at least one pro fight, then they gotta do the try outs which is at the tuf gym me thinks

They supposedly have try outs, but it's mostly politics.....like everything else.

Quote Originally Posted by rob_bills View Post
    i would presume its based on a combination of record, ways of winning, where they are from. (bisping and other foreigners are put in there to boost ratings) As far as i know they apply and probably need at least one pro fight, then they gotta do the try outs which is at the tuf gym me thinks
    they say you need 4 but yager had 3 and mitrione had 0 so i guess the rule doesnt apply if your a dick who will boost ratings
    "DO YOU THINK I'M JUST GOING TO SIT THERE AND LET YOU KILL ME JON???"

SpikeTV has a lot of control over that process so I assume it's based on controversiality/ratings potential with a minimum of credibilty as a fighter.

Kimbo> Rampage Guest

I often feel that they dont always get the best talent and get guys that would be good for tv, they aim to make the show interesting so they get the guys who are out there and usually get most of the best guys as well.

Except for the U.S. vs. UK season I clearly think they got a lot less talent on the U.S. side of things so team UK would win, drawing more UK fans into the ufc/the sport.

Little late to reply,but w/e.

First off, theirs a application form,and the try-outs. At the TO,you hit pads and do some light grappling in a attempt to impress. Of course, none of this matter if you have someone backing you up, like a UFC fighter,or a named camp.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trojan Fight Club View Post
    well now I've seen War Machine's dick. fantastic.
    Quote Originally Posted by GL Jeff View Post
    Ill go against the grain.
    Werdum via triangle
    Someone needs to cheer for those poor souls.

I know a few guys that tried out a few years ago. They sent in the application. One made a video with ammateur fight highlights. It's really a crapshoot. More about t.v. ratings than who can actually fight. I mean they litterally give you like 1 minute of grappling and a little pad time. Thats it.

Quote Originally Posted by YukonJordan View Post
    SpikeTV has a lot of control over that process so I assume it's based on controversiality/ratings potential with a minimum of credibilty as a fighter.
    This.

I think the last season that took skill into the app process was season 5....

Now I agree that SPIKE has alot to do with it

Thread Information