Thread: Does your school charge month-to-month or have contracts?

Default Does your school charge month-to-month or have contracts?

I was checking out a local MMA school and they only allowed students to sign up via annual contracts. I was quite surprised at this since I'm used to month-to-month martial arts schools. What's interesting is that this school boasts having 400+ students (which is why I was interested in them in the first place---more bodies to roll with) so you would think they would have a month-to-month (no contract) option. The worst part was that their contracts are handled by a 3rd party company (never a good thing) and they couldn't even show me in writing the full terms of cancellation (a REALLY bad thing...think gym memberships).

So my question is this:

1) Does your MMA school offer month-to-month (no contract) sign-ups? Or is a contract (6-month, annual, from-the-dawn-of-time-til-the-day-you-die, etc.) absolutely required?

2) Also, what city/state is your school in (so I get an idea of what's going on regionally). I'm in Houston, TX (and the MMA school I'm talking about is very well-known here).

FYI, I do realize that martial arts schools (even MMA schools) are a tough business to turn a profit. However, forcing contracts on students isn't the way to go, IMO.

They are probably getting mainstream enough to base their model after the regular gym/fitness center model. Everyone knows that's how they make money. Not saying it is right or the most fair method.

My gym does it both ways, and the auto payment deduction is handled by a third party also. I did that for a few years and then decided not to renew and pay monthly. Allows me to control my costs better, especially when I know I cant go as often one month or something, I can just pay for fewer classes. Also I have the option to pay 3, 6, or 12 months in advance for a descent discount at my gym. I train in Williston, VT at VT BJJ.

Lucky for me since I'm a returning college student, my university has an MMA room at the gym with plenty of people to roll with for free (well, I'm sure it's built into the tuition costs, of course).

month to month...the way it should be.

New Jersey

month to month than a discount for signing up for more months. Its $98 month to month than like $70 a month for the year. Saskatoon Sk, Canada
    Favorite fighters: GSP, F. Griffin, Jon Jones, Nick Diaz, Carwin, Ken Flo, Leben

I was 130 a month unlimited gym use open in the morning and from 5-10 or later mon-friday and then 10-2 on the weekends. MMA, Grappling, Judo, Boxing and Muay Thai are offered.

Nj

NY no contract. do not do annual...especially without the terms...what if your first roll you injure yourself and unable to train for lets say even one month, you've just lost x amount of money.

BULLSHIDO search Houston TX

I would do research on the internet first, then talk to a couple of students and see how they are.

Or sign up for like a 1 or 2 day trial first. Most gyms I know of in town are month to month, with deals on 3 month and year memberships.

Thread Information