Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Following UFC Release, Gabriel Gonzaga Likely to Retire From Mixed Martial Arts

Default Following UFC Release, Gabriel Gonzaga Likely to Retire From Mixed Martial Arts

Following UFC Release, Gabriel Gonzaga Likely to Retire From Mixed Martial
    Gabriel Gonzaga (11-6) dropped a decision to top heavyweight prospect, Brendan Schaub on UFC 121, and also lost to #1 contender, Junior dos Santos this past March. That makes two straight losses, leading to a pink slip for his UFC release. Today, 'Napao' said that while nothing is set on stone, he isn't planning to fight MMA again:

A lot of people are asking me the same question. If I'm gonna find again... I don't know. I really don't know. Definitely I'm gonna try to fight again in ADCC and BJJ, important grappling tournaments. MMA, I don't know, because I'm not gonna fight for cheap money, and... the UFC was paying me well. Another organization is there, and I don't know if they're interested in me or not, but my main goal is to not fight mma again... but if you have a good prize, I can be back fighting. Definitely, I can fight again, but I'm not gonna fight soon. I'm not looking for it right now, and I don't know if they want to pay me what I think I should have, to fight. A lot of if's... It's not completely done, it's not completely 'come back', so... maybe.
    the link has a video if you wanna check it out.

honestly i dont know if sf could match the 67k that gg was getting (just to show) at the moment but would like to see gg get back to his roots and compete in some bjj tourneys. then maybe in a few years get back in mma. idk dudes only 31 so i think after a few years getting back to his roots he can make a come back

Can't say it hurts to see him go. I've always seen him as over hyped and the Cro Cop KO just added to it. He seems he has more of a desire for BJJ tournies so I wish him the best.

Hey Gabriel, Gods of Grappling Nov 13th Louisville Ky.

if he loves bjj so much,...why didnt he use it in mma hardly? could have been A HUGE tool to success for him

Quote Originally Posted by macewen View Post
    if he loves bjj so much,...why didnt he use it in mma hardly? could have been A HUGE tool to success for him
    No kidding lol. If you watch his fights you would think that the guy is afraid of going to the ground. If he would have done Mixed martial arts instead of trying to just stand and bang he probably would still be employed. Some guys just seem to forget what they're good at and try to play the part of the KO artist.

I guess it's back to being just an ADCC competitor.

Quote Originally Posted by LethalStriker View Post
    I guess it's back to being just an ADCC competitor.
    No shame in that.

I think that the fact he says he will only fight if the price is right shows that he just doesn't want to do it anymore. Not necessarily a bad thing, but its just not in him anymore.

I met him after his fight at UFC 86 against Justin McCully...really nice guy. You could tell he didn't understand much english, but just walked around with a huge childish smile on his face taking pictures with everyone. Wish him luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Daellusx View Post
    No kidding lol. If you watch his fights you would think that the guy is afraid of going to the ground. If he would have done Mixed martial arts instead of trying to just stand and bang he probably would still be employed. Some guys just seem to forget what they're good at and try to play the part of the KO artist.
    Ya he reminds me of George Gurgel. People say they are top notch BJJ guys but when they fight they act like they have never heard of a ground game. IMO I think Gonzagas biggest proble is that he is WEAK MENTALLY. He is a front runner. The minuted the going gets hard he folds.

GG I hope you can get your shit together and make it back to MMA.

likebutta Guest

Hey, where ever his heart is man. It obviously hasn't really been in MMA lately so if he has the dough to lay it back and/or other avenues to make something that will sustain him, more power to him. Whether he retires temporarily and makes a comeback later, we'll see but at this point he's not in the fight.

I liked him as a fighter, but his heart/head hasn't seemed to be in it since he lost to Couture, IMO.

Thread Information