Thread: UFC 127 to Be Held in Sydney, Australia

Default UFC 127 to Be Held in Sydney, Australia

UFC 127 to Be Held in Sydney, Australia -- MMA Fighting

UFC 127 to Be Held in Sydney, Australia
    11/04/2010 2:33 PM ET By Mike Chiappetta

Mike Chiappetta
    MMA Writer
    After a successful maiden voyage Down Under in 2010, the UFC will be returning in 2011.

MMA Fighting has learned that UFC 127 will be held in Sydney, Australia on Sunday, Feb. 27, 2011 (Feb. 26 in North American time zones).

The event is likely to be held at the Acer Arena, site of UFC 110 in February 2010.

UFC 110 was the promotion's first trip to Australia, and a paid audience of 17,831 filled the Acer, setting an attendance record for a UFC event outside of North America. To date, that number remains the largest crowd of 2010, as fans paid a $2.5 million gate.

In the main event of UFC 110, Cain Velaquez knocked out Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira in the first round to earn a heavyweight title shot. He later cashed in his opportunity at UFC 121, earning a TKO win to beat Brock Lesnar and become the champ.

No matchups have yet to be determined for UFC 127, though a welterweight scrap between Chris Lytle and Carlos Condit seems a prime possibility for the event.
    " I don't want to die for you, but if dying is asked of me, I'll bear that cross with honour, 'cause freedom don't come free."
    "All men wanna be rich, rich men wanna be kings, a king ain't satisfied til he rules everything"

What can they possibly use as a headliner for this event? I know they won't put a title fight on this card.

why would they not have a title fight on the card it sold out lat year in under two hours and they hadent even announced the card just three fights and it was the largest attendence of all last year it will be right in time for jds v cain or possibly shogun v rashad it not like over in england were they dont even fill stadiums and they take title fights to canada, england and abu dhabi. cant wait till tickets re on sale i am pumped last year was one of the best weeks of my life!

Well I know that they don't need a title fight to headline the card and chances are they won't get one. I was just simply asking what's a plausible fight of 2 quality but not champion calibre fighters you can have headline the show.

fair enough, i think they might have a title fight headline the show seeing as how the last card went maybe a bit niave of me but hey you can dream right, am i crazy or did i hear a while back they were putting together rich v forest?

Quote Originally Posted by The Muss View Post
    fair enough, i think they might have a title fight headline the show seeing as how the last card went maybe a bit niave of me but hey you can dream right, am i crazy or did i hear a while back they were putting together rich v forest?
    isnt rich vs forrest on the 126 card?? maybe im mistaking

but that would be a pretty good headliner for a card down under. i know you would love a title fight there, but a fight as big as jds vs cain or shogun vs rashad is more than likely going to be held in here in the states.

england would only get a title fight had dan hardy pulled off a major upset or bisping becomes relevant in the title hunt and champion again.

i figure this is the same way for australia. there will have to be an aussie champ defending his title for you guys to get a title fight at this point. the one over in abu dubi was because of the financial investment. it was you invested in us we are giving this back to you. plus we all know the history over there with the grappling tournament. plus, breaking into that market was a huge deal. they had to make that card HUGE on paper

im not saying its impossible for australia to get a title fight, especially since fights down there can still be shown live here. but its not as likely, especially since you guys sold out the arena without one the first time, and the fact that the ufc doesnt go there often.

if it does well again.............then i would say your more likely for a title fight. i could be wrong though, i just dont think it will happen, atleast not with those 2 fights. maybe the silva vs belfort fight.

7. Default

There wont be a title fight in the land downunder until my boy George S. Gets his shot at the LW crown IMO

and that is still unlikly, as most title fights are in Vegas
    "...for he today who sheds his blood with me shall be my brother." William Shakespeare

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it." Helen Keller

Thread Information