Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lyoto Machida: I think its best for me to focus on this fight and Ill welcome what

Default Lyoto Machida: I think its best for me to focus on this fight and Ill welcome what

Lyoto Machida:

Lyoto Machida: I think its best for me to focus on this fight and Ill welcome whatever comes to me in the future.

Posted by Brendhan Conlan on Thursday, November 4, 2010

A year ago former UFC light heavyweight champ Lyoto Machida was viewed as being close to unbeatable based on his polished approach to MMA and a unique style of stand-up allowing him to dish out damage while receiving little in return. However, after losing his belt by way of first-round knockout to Mauricio Shogun Rua last May, questions began to surface about whether or not his reputation had been built more on hype than actual ability.

Machida will have a chance to answer his critics in a little more than two weeks when he faces another former 205-pound champion, Quinton Rampage Jackson, at UFC 123 just outside of Detroit, Michigan. The Dragon recently spoke to Tatame about his upcoming bout with Jackson, as well as his experience recently training at a well-known American gym and a number of other subjects relating to his future.

I always think for a MMA fight, despite the specialties of each fighter, you have to be prepared for anything, because we can never know what the guy is up to, Machida responded when asked about how he is approaching the headlining affair. A guy who doesnt know how to kick may be kicking on the following fight you cant tell for sure. The need leads the frog to a jump.

We have many examples of people who are good on areas that arent their specialties, he continued. Georges St. Pierre has improved his wrestling a lot people that didnt kick are now kicking and so it goesI dont underestimate any fighter. I think that, just as Im prepared for anything during the fight, so are they: the stand-up game, the takedowns and the ground game. Of course we have our game plan setour strong point is karate and the exchanges, but if we need to use the other skills, we will do the takedowns and the ground game

When questioned on whether or not he anticipates to stand more than defend Jacksons takedowns, Machida stated, I think that Jackson always comes for the striking, independently of his opponentHe always tries to impose his game, so itll be up to me because hell try to use his boxing and I have to try to block his game and impose mine.

However, while Machidas immediate attention is on Jackson, he acknowledged not only his interest in eventually breaking the 1-1 tie between himself and Rua but the possibility of eventually mixing it up with relative youngsters Jon Jones and/or Ryan Bader.

Of course, he replied on the subject of the twenty-somethings. I believe that this new generation is a really conditioned generation, (and) has begun to build the pillars for being a great fightertheyre great athletes that are popular and now me, Rashad Evans, Rampage and Shogun will have to face those guys.

On the subject of a rubber-match between himself and Rua, the 32-year old made it clear his current focus is only on Rampage, saying, I think one step at a time. People talk about Shogun and I dont keep thinking about Shogun hes long gone now. Now I have to think about my next challenge because sometimes we keep thinking about the future, but we cant even make the next step, so I think I have to be prepared and I cant underestimate anyone. Now Ill have to face Jackson and there are many factors to consider before I have a title shot. I think its best for me to focus on this fight and Ill welcome whatever comes to me in the future.

Machida also spoke about having recently spent some time at American Kickboxing Academy home to a number of respected UFC competitors and how it was to work alongside UFC heavyweight champ Cain Velasquez.

Its not the first time Ive trained (at) AKA its the second time I went to train there. Ive spent three weeks training there and I think its really important that you train along with guys who are fighting on the same level as youVelasquez was a nice guy to me from the start hes shown me his game and (when) I left there I knew he had a great chance of becoming the champion.

Machida is 16-1 with victories in the first sixteen fights of his career including notable wins over Tito Ortiz, the afore-mentioned Evans, and Thiago Silva, as well as a somewhat controversial unanimous decision over Shogun at UFC 104 a little more than a year ago.
    " I don't want to die for you, but if dying is asked of me, I'll bear that cross with honour, 'cause freedom don't come free."
    "All men wanna be rich, rich men wanna be kings, a king ain't satisfied til he rules everything"

I can't believe we have to read this ridiculously presumptive article about a has been. I thought the pundits clearly stated on 5/9/10 that the gimmick of Machida had been figured out. Must be a slow week. Sheesh.
    ROCK...CHALK...JAYHAWK

Shogun and A Silva are the only strikers in the UFC that can beat Machida, he is not figured out, his style has a weakness against strikers who mix in kicks well where as everyone else gets destroyed. I would like to see a really good wrestler fight Machida but I think he would do much better in that situation than Shogun and Silva because of his very defensive stance.

Quote Originally Posted by grambino View Post
    I can't believe we have to read this ridiculously presumptive article about a has been. I thought the pundits clearly stated on 5/9/10 that the gimmick of Machida had been figured out. Must be a slow week. Sheesh.
    Really? Surely your just really good at being sarcastic.

I can't wait to see Lyoto in action again. I am only hoping there isn't a Cro Cop-effect lingering about him.

I for one do not want Page anywhere near Shogun simply for the fact that his weakness is against fighters that impose very good MT. I also think Machida's evasiveness and leg kicks/trips will be a huge factor in his success against Page.

RJ is already talking about hating boring fights and wanting to bang with guys at hw. If that is where his mindset is then he is already in no shape mentally to be fighting yet another evasive fighter who likely will not exchange foolishly with him.

I got bad vibes on this one for Jackson.
    Anderson Silva:
    Best Fighter on the planet.

Quote Originally Posted by roaddawg View Post
    I for one do not want Page anywhere near Shogun simply for the fact that his weakness is against fighters that impose very good MT. I also think Machida's evasiveness and leg kicks/trips will be a huge factor in his success against Page.

RJ is already talking about hating boring fights and wanting to bang with guys at hw. If that is where his mindset is then he is already in no shape mentally to be fighting yet another evasive fighter who likely will not exchange foolishly with him.

I got bad vibes on this one for Jackson.

Page couldn't hit Rashad, I don't know how he'll get to Machida. This fight sucks for me because these 2 along with Rua are 3 of my favorite fighters. I like the idea of the Shogun rematch because I know Page wants it, but Shogun v Machida Trilogy is good too. I've followed Page since Pride and I just don't think even in his prime he was going to beat Machida or Rua, but he could make it interesting. Right now it's hard to tell where his head is or how serious his camp is. I miss the old hungry Page. I'm happy he's finding success elsewhere though. I think Machida and Rua are leaps and bound above the rest of the division.
    ROCK...CHALK...JAYHAWK

Quote Originally Posted by grambino View Post
    Page couldn't hit Rashad, I don't know how he'll get to Machida. This fight sucks for me because these 2 along with Rua are 3 of my favorite fighters. I like the idea of the Shogun rematch because I know Page wants it, but Shogun v Machida Trilogy is good too. I've followed Page since Pride and I just don't think even in his prime he was going to beat Machida or Rua, but he could make it interesting. Right now it's hard to tell where his head is or how serious his camp is. I miss the old hungry Page. I'm happy he's finding success elsewhere though. I think Machida and Rua are leaps and bound above the rest of the division.
    With the exception of Jon Jones I totally agree with you. I need to see more from Jones though before assuming he can hang with Shogun/Machida. Jones weakness imo is his jj (unless hes patched up those holes in his game since the Vera fight)
    Anderson Silva:
    Best Fighter on the planet.

Quote Originally Posted by roaddawg View Post
    With the exception of Jon Jones I totally agree with you. I need to see more from Jones though before assuming he can hang with Shogun/Machida. Jones weakness imo is his jj (unless hes patched up those holes in his game since the Vera fight)
    agreed. I made a comment about JOnes saying he needed to get beat up first..., though I didn't state my point effectively at the time, You hit it on the head with what I was trying to convey. I think he needs to get a legit test, before being thrown in with a Shogun or dragon.

Unless Rampage uses the tactic he used w his F350 in OC cali and just plows into Loyoto with fists blazing and catches him, I see machida chopping his legs down, and counter punching leading to a 3rd rd Ko or tko.

Love to see rampage at HW for some truly exciting slugfests. ( no I dont think hes a contender at Hw just for the exciting fights he expressed interest in).

10. Default

Lyoto is doing what he needs to so he can get better. His wrestling is already good (he tookdown Tito) but with working with Cain and those AKA boys plus the adding Mark Munoz to Blackhouse I bet he is even better. We have seen him sub, TD, KO people and have seen how hard he is to get off his game.

Lyoto will use leg kicks and set up some trips IMO, while outstriking page. Lyoto is just to fast and elusive for Page IMO. I will give Page a punchers chance at best..

Lyoto by UD
    "...for he today who sheds his blood with me shall be my brother." William Shakespeare

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it." Helen Keller

Thread Information