Thread: UFC 122's Okami working with Team Quest for Marquardt, declares Sonnen innocent

1. Default UFC 122's Okami working with Team Quest for Marquardt, declares Sonnen innocent

UFC 122's Okami working with Team Quest for Marquardt, declares Sonnen innocent | MMAjunkie.com

Yushin Okami (25-5 MMA, 9-2 UFC) says Team Quest has given him the roadmap to beat Nate Marquardt (30-9-2 MMA, 9-3 UFC).

The Japanese middleweight first sought guidance from Team Quest after one of its brightest – and most controversial – standouts, Chael Sonnen, bested him at UFC 104.

Now he's back again as he prepares for a fight that could vault him into title contention, and he says he's picked up a few new tricks.

"I've gotten many techniques from Team Quest, so now I believe I have more power than Nate," he told MMAjunkie.com (UFC blog for UFC news, UFC rumors, fighter interviews and event previews/recaps | MMAjunkie.com) through a translator following a training session.

Okami and Marquardt square-off in the main event of UFC 122, which takes place Nov. 13 at Konig Pilsener Arena in Oberhausen, Germany. Spike TV airs the event at 9 p.m. ET/PT on approximately a six-hour delay for East Coast viewers (and nine hours for the West Coast).

Vitor Belfort (19-8 MMA, 8-4 UFC) was originally pegged to meet Okami at the overseas event but was bumped up for a shot at middleweight kingpin Anderson Silva when Sonnen tested positive for elevated testosterone following an unsuccessful bid for Silva's belt at UFC 117.

The change brought little fuss from Okami, who simply logged more hours with orthodox stance fighters to match Marquardt's style.

He's similarly unconcerned about the fight's raised stakes, even though he'd love to get another shot at Silva, whom he beat more than four years ago when Silva was disqualified for throwing an illegal upkick.

"I'm not thinking about the title fight," Okami said. "I'm thinking about the challenge that's facing me right now, and my game plan to win this fight."

The game plan is under lock and key, though he said "speed and power" are the two keys to victory against Marquardt, a former King of Pancrase champion who works with famed trainers Greg Jackson and Trevor Wittman and makes a quick turnaround from a first-round TKO of Rousimar Palhares in September.

In his most recent fight, Okami learned a lesson similar to the one he gleaned from his losing effort against Sonnen. He met Mark Munoz in March at UFC on Versus 2 and was often put on his heels by the wrestling standout's constant pressure. He barely escaped with a split decision.

"I learned the importance of going forward and not waiting to attack," Okami said of the fight. "To go hard physically and mentally."

Both Sonnen and Team Quest co-founder Matt Lindland have been working closely with Okami to follow through on that philosophy. Lindland thinks Okami's size will present several difficulties for Marquardt.

"[Okami is] going to have a lot more power in the clinch than Nate, and I think even his punching, too," Lindland said.

Sonnen, of course, has first-hand experience with Marquardt. He bucked the odds when the two met at UFC 109 and dominated the fight from bell to bell with a relentless ground and pound attack. Okami won't say what tips he's picked up.

"It's a secret," he said.

Apparently, though, he's also gotten a few lessons on Sonnen's other field of expertise – trash talking. There, however, he's a work in progress, so don't hold your breath for some snappy one-liners.

"A little bit softer than Chael," Okami said of his work on that front. "Chael wows me. I'm going to try to learn from Chael. It's going to take time."

Of the regulatory trouble that Sonnen currently faces, Okami supports his new teammate.

"He's innocent, he said. "I trained with Chael and I think he's innocent [because] of his personality."

Even if he can't say how he'll do it, Okami can promise that the fans will see a lot of Sonnen and the rest of the Team Quest crew when he and Marquardt lock up.

That's the roadmap he's following.
    There are many paths to freedom, not all are peaceful

Okami turning the corner in his career = nightmare for every single MW in the world. Here is a guy that is a Top 5 perhaps Top 3 MW and he has gotten tenfold better in the last year. His striking is much better then what it use to be and he is starting to open up his style. By this time next year Okami will be the MW champion and it doesn't matter if he needs to take the belt from Belfort or Silva to do it.
    Dude, I’m a wrestler. I’m the best wrestler in MMA. Wrestling IS, was and always has been the most dominate form of mix martial art on the planet. That’s all there is to it. We all know it, some people want to fight it, some people want doubt it but wresters rule the MMA world. -
    Ben Askren

Okami + Team Quest = Scary good.
    Lost SIG bet to Leucoethiops

Okami is one of the best MW around and I think it's a damn shame that he's been shafted so many times. Whether its his marketability or whatever, the kid deserves his shot. He's been passed up more times in the UFC than anyone deserves. I think he could possibly be top 2, and in 2011 look for a new Japanese MW Champ.

Can't wait for this fight. I want to see Okami get the title shot he deserves. It's been a long time coming!

WAR OKAMI!!!

should be a good fight since their style match up nicely. can't wait
    Favorite fighters: GSP, F. Griffin, Jon Jones, Nick Diaz, Carwin, Ken Flo, Leben

I think Okami is doing something every fighter should be. Branching out and learning from new and different camps. If he continues to do this, not a new camp every fight, but to look elsewhere every once in awhile as his career goes on, I think he will maintain a strong career. Fighters need to go where they are not the best, its the only way to improve.

WAR THUNDER!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Trojan Fight Club View Post
    well now I've seen War Machine's dick. fantastic.
    Quote Originally Posted by GL Jeff View Post
    Ill go against the grain.
    Werdum via triangle
    Someone needs to cheer for those poor souls.

I'd love to see Okami's day but ima go on a limb here and say with Nate training with Rashad and GSP n jackson camp...Noway in fuck does he get sonnen/okami'd again..Lot's of prep time and no under estimating.. but heh we'll see

Thread Information