Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jose Aldo Wanted To Fight Kenny Florian, I Didn't Says Coach

1. Default Jose Aldo Wanted To Fight Kenny Florian, I Didn't Says Coach

Jose Aldo Wanted To Fight Kenny Florian, I Didn't Says Coach - Bloody Elbow

"(We) had a conversation with the UFC guys and suggested a fight between him and the 4th pound-for-pound (Frankie Edgar)."

"A counter proposal was made for a fight between Kenny Florian and Aldo. They asked me about it and I was the first to say no. Aldo fighting a UFC champion, the 4th pound-for-pound, is one thing, but the counter proposal was not interesting."

"It's not that Florian is not tough or anything. I think he's an excellent athlete, but he's coming from a loss and unfortunately for him he has never been a UFC champion and today is not in the top 10 pound-for-pound. I was the one who said no, nobody else did. Jose Aldo wanted to fight, but I didn't let him do it because this fight wouldn't bring any advantage at all for us, regardless of if Florian is a great fighter or not."

"If they offered us Sean Sherk in a situation like that, I'd have probably accepted it. He was a guy coming from a win and a former UFC champion. We didn't deny the Florian fight for fear or anything; it was just not worth it. Aldo is a very young kid and will move up to LW naturally."
    -- Jose Aldo's coach, Andre Pederneiras talks to Tatame.com (translated by V@le-Tudo)
    There are many paths to freedom....not all are peaceful.

Understandable. However, before the merger, even though it may have been a step down in ranking, it would have brought him a lot more exposure which was a positive he apparently didn't consider.

Also, in EVERY fight, one of the fighters is fighting a fighter ranked below them. If that didn't happen, there would be no fights.
    Goodbye Mr. Burton

All in the reflexes
    Anderson Silva 5: TRT USERS 0 Hendo - Forrest - Nate - Chael... twice

Kenny IS a name fighter though, Aldo is going to be shortly obviously. If he'd fought and beaten Kenny impressively on PPV i'm confused as to how that's not advantageous, coulda been the springboard he needs to really boost his profile, he deserves to be a BIG star.

Hopefully he beats Grispi in devastating fashion though.

yea i dno what aldo would gain by fighting kflo. makes much more sense to defend his featherweight title. however, i dont expect aldo to stick at 145 too much longer, especially given the recent ufc/wec merger.

say kenny beats dunahm, then a fight w/ aldo would be more likely if jose chooses to just go up to 155 altogether.

Like his trainer said, Aldo is a young man, he doesn't need to rush anything yet. Especially now with the merger I say let him defend that UFC 145 lb strap for a couple of fights and see what happens from there. Smart guy (trainer) I think

I would LOVE to see aldo/edgar!!! I don't like frank at all, but I think this would be a FOTY candidate. After both defend their belts in the coming months, they should set up a spring ppv and have a cham vs champ. No matter who were to win that dream match could legitimatly defend both belts in both classes. DFW Joe Silva, MAKE THIS FIGHT HAPPEN!!!!!!!!!!!!

i still think a win over kenflo would be more impressive than beating sherk (besides sherk's last win was controversial)

It would have been a huge win if it happened. No need to move up yet though, as most have been saying as well.

That's gotta make Kenny feel like shit, lol. Poor Ken. He's not worth it for Jose Aldo.

I hope Grispi steals this from Aldo somehow.

Thread Information